FC-12: More than one expression pedal needed?

Thanks for the video. Much appreciated.

Have any of you guys figured out how to use the multiplexer to have one pedal control 3 or 4 effects?

I'd like to use one pedal to come on automatically when I move it for wah, and be able to use the same pedal instead for pitch when I hit the pitch button (and not have the wah come on also).

Is it possible to use one pedal to control:
volume, wah, pitch, flanger, rotary, delay.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video. Much appreciated.

Have any of you guys figured out how to use the multiplexer to have one pedal control 3 or 4 effects?

I'd like to use one pedal to come on automatically when I move it for wah, and be able to use the same pedal instead for pitch when I hit the pitch button (and not have the wah come on also).

Is it possible to use one pedal to control:
volume, wah, pitch, flanger, rotary, delay.

That’s kinda what I do in the video. However with the multiplex the unit is limitless:cool:

The only limitations are how many do you concurrently and how clever do you want to be in programming patches.

I use one expression pedal for volume always. I have a second expression pedal that is used for wah most of the time. The wah pedal is spring loaded so any other usage has to keep that in mind. I may end up adding a third.

For me Ex1 is spring loaded and used for wah or whammy. Ex2 is always volume. Ex3 is effects mix and occasionally amp morphing. I have to admit that Ex3 is mostly wishful thinking since I haven't gotten around to doing the programming. :p

I used three foot pedals with the Axe FXII. The FC-12 is wider and I can only fit two of them on the pedalboard. I was going to buy a wider pedalboard, but won't need to if I can do everything I need with two foot pedals.

I use a large clean/lead preset in axefx mode and just memorize my modifiers. No pedalboard. just a Mission SP-1 and the mfc III. Toe switch controls IA bypass for Wah1.
Scene 3 engages COMP1+REVERB1+MULTIDELAY1+VOL control after CAB.
Scene 4 engages COMP+DELAY2+REVERB1+VOL. I use a DELAY2 X/Y IA to access 16th note slapback/dotquarter 50% MIX.
Scene 5 engages COMP1+REVERB1+ROTARY1 control. I use golden settings for PITCH1 control (1st block) and engage via IA.
Scene 6 is COMP1+DELAY1Y+VOL1+REVERB1.

Reverb1 is medium room, but use IA for Reverb1X/Y to get access to “Cavern.”

I dedicate scene 1 to COMP1+REVERB1
Scene 2 to DRIVE1 is crunch sound, FILTER1 (Null dB boost can get me that gain stage for lead, so it’s a third gain stage.
Scene 7 to COMP1+REVERB1+FILTER1 (null dB boost)
Scene 8 is AMP Y (med gain)+DRIVE1Y+DELAY1X (313 ms, low mix couple repeats)+yek’s PARAEQ1 for 770 hz; .350 Q; 4 dB (turn down level to balance with unity).

Scene Revert is ON

I balance scenes 2 and 8 with FILTER1 (Null) off. I save all those as global blocks.

I also use TREMPAN1, CHORUS1, MULTIDELAY1 on IAs in third row of MFC so I can simultaneously stomp in improvisation.

I have a Eb down preset and a Triplet preset that use appropriate subdivisions for compound meters (12/8; 6/8) in MULTIDELAY1.

How do you globally assign an expression pedal to always be wah or rotary speed no matter what scene or preset?

How do you globally assign an expression pedal to always be wah or rotary speed no matter what scene or preset?
You don’t. It’s easy to do that per scenes just drop in a Wah block, assign the pedal, and don’t change it in any other scenes. But you have to do that for each preset that you want the Wah in.

One alternative is to create a preset that has it set up the way you want, and use that as a template for future presets.

You can set it up so that one pedal can do a variety of different fictions depending on the scene etc selected

That means one may work well for many people’s needs. I personally use 4, as I like a dedicated function, always

I don’t want to remember in a given scene my wah becomes a whammy etc. I want to always have a wah, a volume, and so forth.

One can do a lot, but having multiple pedals is still how I’m going to roll
I mix 'em up on the #2 expression pedal, but #1 is always volume & #3 is always the wah.

When the big footswitch box gets built, it will have a big knob for #4, and switches for all 4 of the control switches. One of the four switches will be a pair of SDPT switches (one momentary, the other latching) wired like a pair of hallway lightswitches, so I can make a momentary switch in the AxeFX3 give both momentary and latching action....

BTW, you can do more than one thing at a time with a pedal, too, using the parameters in the controller page.

Josie - P2.syx uses the #2 controller to transition between three scenes, using @NDESMAREST 's idea for setting up the controller parameters.
Screen%20Shot%202019-08-23%20at%208.27.57%20PM.png

Anywho, one pedal (FC1 #2) gives all of the following:
  1. Heel: clean with chorus
  2. Middle: clean with reverb
  3. Toe: screaming lead with a bit of delay
This makes transitions between sections in a song's arrangement a breeze, and 100% seamless with no gaps.
I still have a couple buttons set up, but with this method, I could easily have worked with the FC-6 and not been left wanting....
Screen%20Shot%202019-08-23%20at%208.16.44%20PM.png

The last third of the pedal's travel switches amps. Both mixer channels that mix the two amps are set up with this arrangement of controller action. Amp1 fade out is shown. Amp2 fade in is set so that the Min and Max are reversed from what is shown here, to provide opposite action over the same range. Notice that I set up the pedal graph so that it reflects what my foot is doing, Horizontal axis is pedal motion (i.e., my foot going from heel to toe), vertical axis is controller value applied to the turnip, er..., knob we're twaddling. I find this is easier than trying to remember how the graph relates to my foot on the pedal. All first quadrant. No having to remember that up is down and stuff like that. I use the Min and Max knobs to indicate what the controller does to the value:
Screen%20Shot%202019-08-23%20at%208.18.53%20PM.png

The delay to go with that solo: I use the controller to un-bypass it, and set it to "Mute FX In" so that it passes dry signal always:
Screen%20Shot%202019-08-23%20at%209.40.49%20PM.png

The transition from the first third of the pedal's travel is set up like this, which turns off the volume feeding the side-chained stack of Pitch || Chorus || Multi-Dly that gives me effectively 11 voices of chorusing:
Screen%20Shot%202019-08-23%20at%208.21.23%20PM.png

To get the reverb on in just the middle range of the pedal, I use an inverted parabola and stretch it out a bit like this:
Screen%20Shot%202019-08-23%20at%208.25.38%20PM.png

So, since I always use #1 for volume and #3 for wah, #2 gets to do all sorts of things like this on occasion. :)

Last edited:
I moved to one expression pedal a couple years ago. I use the one pedal for wah, whammy and to control the speed of a tremolo.

Hi new to the forum, and new to the FX8. I have a AXE-FX Ultra that I love. I am trying to do exactly what ipressthebutton details above, but I am having issues. I am have preset with 8 different scenes that I am trying to control wah, pitch, and depth of the the tremolo. So far I got the wah working, but the EV is engaged with wah control on every scene whether or not the wah is even enabled. I followed the settings for the whammy set up based on a youtube video, but the pitch is not controlled, the wah is, even though the scene with the pitch does not have a wah engaged. I checked the forums, and did a search, but have not had any luck as of yet. Any suggestions to what I am doing wrong? Thank you for time, and have a great weekend! Tobe

Hi new to the forum, and new to the FX8. I have a AXE-FX Ultra that I love. I am trying to do exactly what ipressthebutton details above, but I am having issues. I am have preset with 8 different scenes that I am trying to control wah, pitch, and depth of the the tremolo. So far I got the wah working, but the EV is engaged with wah control on every scene whether or not the wah is even enabled. I followed the settings for the whammy set up based on a youtube video, but the pitch is not controlled, the wah is, even though the scene with the pitch does not have a wah engaged. I checked the forums, and did a search, but have not had any luck as of yet. Any suggestions to what I am doing wrong? Thank you for time, and have a great weekend! Tobe

I have a FX8 and do the same thing. I'm using a Mission SP1 with a toe switch. I use that switch to turn the wah on/off. If your wah works, I would use the same controller that you use for the Control parameter of the wah and assign it to Rate parameter of the pan/trem block and the Control parameter of the whammy block. I use the switches on the FX8/FM12 to turn on/off the whammy and pan/trem blocks. Hopefully this helps.

I have a FX8 and do the same thing. I'm using a Mission SP1 with a toe switch. I use that switch to turn the wah on/off. If your wah works, I would use the same controller that you use for the Control parameter of the wah and assign it to Rate parameter of the pan/trem block and the Control parameter of the whammy block. I use the switches on the FX8/FM12 to turn on/off the whammy and pan/trem blocks. Hopefully this helps.

Thank you for the information. The weird thing is no matter what scene I am on, even if the wah is not active, the minute I move the pedal the wah is going. I tried have the whammy assigned to the same control parameter and it did not work. I am trying to use a different control parameter for each effect, and assign it to the same pedal and see what happens. Thank you for the response!

sounds like you have Auto-Engage set on in the Wah block.
Hi Chris, I do. I guess I do not understand the auto-engage. I thought it was so when I was on a particular scene I could leave it inactive until I moved it? Or is across all scenes? Thank you for the input!

Auto-engage will always turn on the effect, whether it’s bypassed or not. If the effect is bypassed, Auto-engage will turn it on. If the effect is not bypassed, it’s already on — so turning it on doesn’t change anything. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom