FC-12 Layouts

josephyballew

Inspired
I got my FC- 12 yesterday and decided to do my own custom layouts. I pretty much like everything global except the effects. You really don't need 24 switches with this unit. I set up one layout for preset with two switches leading to effects and scenes layout. If I go to effects layout, I created an effects 2 layout for spill over not covered in the effects page. Each layout, you can get to any other layout. After I got finished programming, I realized that I wanted everything global except for effects. I looked into the pre preset for the effects to turn off and on. It appears you can list 1-24 and naming each type of effect for each of the 24. To me this still is global. Am I missing something?. I also want to name each effect. If you have two delays, I want to name those. May one 1/4 or dot 8, or slapback , 300ms. the same with phaser whether a phaser or univibe. I also don't want to be stuck in the same location. One preset I may have two delays in and another only one delay. It is wasting space to have delay 1 then delay 2 beside of it if you are not using that every preset. To me per preset means assigning any effect to any switch and being able to name my own name for that effect. I have two full layouts of effects in the global, but it would be nice to change that to per preset and assign any switch to any effect, and custom name that switch per preset. I want each effect layout to be different per preset, in the order I want with the name I want. Am I missing something? Is this being worked on? This may be something that is being worked on I hope. I really liked setting up 5 layouts and linking them together. I did see foot switches not finished yet in Axe edit, so I am hoping I have missed something or it is being worked on.

Is this the method you did?

Every Axe-Fx III preset contains 24 numbered “FC Switch Definitions”. In method 1 (below) the preset overrides any switch on any layout, substituting the Per-Preset switch definition of your choice in the location of your choice.
(“I want this switch on this layout to do something different when this preset loads.”)
In method 2 (next page), the layout contains a permanent “placeholder” which always loads a specific FC Switch Definition (by its number) in a fixed position.
(“I want this switch on this layout to always use “Per-Preset X” from the currently loaded preset.”)
PER-PRESET METHOD 1: OVERRIDES
This method creates a classic “exception” — very useful for “that one song” which needs to do something unusual, like providing access to the Looper instead of a particular effect, or switching to a Scene you don’t normally access.
To set up an override, don’t edit the FC. Instead, edit the Preset to force the substitution. Here’s how:
Load the desired preset and navigate to its list of per-preset switch footswitch definitions as follows:
ƒƒ
Press HOME, then use Push-knob D to open the Controllers menu.
ƒƒ
Navigate to Per-Preset FC Settings and press ENTER.
ƒƒ
Page to the Per-Preset FC tab if it isn’t already selected.
Turn the VALUE knob to select your choice of per-preset switch definition “slots” (numbered “PP# 1-24”).
Define the switch. The interface is basically identical to that used by the FC’s own “EZ” page (see p. 17).
ƒƒ
You can set Tap Function, Hold Function, LED ring color, Mini-Display settings, and Layout Links.
Repeat this process for any other switches you wish to define.
Once you have defined one or more FC Switch Definitions in your preset, you must set up the override
Change from the Per-Preset FC page to the Overrides page by pressing the PAGE > button on the Axe-Fx III. The Overrides page consists of a long list showing every switch in every FC layout.
On the Overrides page, use knob A or the NAV buttons to scroll to the FC layout and switch you want to override, then turn knob C or the VALUE knob to select the desired Per-Preset switch (“PP#”).
Repeat this process for any other overrides you wish to create
IMPORTANT: You must STORE the preset after setting up FC Switch definitions and overrides!
Note: As of this writing, Factory presets on the Axe-Fx III are not programmed with any overrides.

Exactly, “per-preset” switches achieve what the OP is looking for. Explained in the manual.

Thanks, I was changing everything in global and not under controllers under the preset. I still don't see how to name custom names for effects like 350ms 1/4, or dot 8. That is a lot of steps for the per preset. There should be an easier way.

Thanks, I was changing everything in global and not under controllers under the preset. I still don't see how to name custom names for effects like 350ms 1/4, or dot 8. That is a lot of steps for the per preset. There should be an easier way.

You may want to at least consider a hybrid approach - some global, some per-preset (and let some of those be placeholder and some be overrides).

Obviously, I don't know your usage so take these examples as purely hypothetical. If most of the time you have Delay 1 set to 1/4 and Delay 2 set to dot 8, make those global. For the one preset where Delay 1 is 350ms, use a Per-Preset Override for Delay 1 and override that switch. For misc effects that only appear in specific presets, use some Per-Preset placeholders so all of your uncommon effects are always in the same foot switch positions.

There's lots of ways to do this.

You may want to at least consider a hybrid approach - some global, some per-preset (and let some of those be placeholder and some be overrides).

Obviously, I don't know your usage so take these examples as purely hypothetical. If most of the time you have Delay 1 set to 1/4 and Delay 2 set to dot 8, make those global. For the one preset where Delay 1 is 350ms, use a Per-Preset Override for Delay 1 and override that switch. For misc effects that only appear in specific presets, use some Per-Preset placeholders so all of your uncommon effects are always in the same foot switch positions.

There's lots of ways to do this.
I have got it down now, but it would be nice to be able to name the effect. You look at phase and don't know if it is phase or univibe. This is just probably something they have not gotten to yet. I edited each layout to my liking using two layouts just for effects. I have an effects 1 and a effects 2 layout linked to each other. I can get to any of my four custom layouts from my any layout to make it easy. I will just do per preset when I have to toe tap a lot I guess. That would be too big of a pain to do every preset per preset. I will probably put 12 effects in every preset to cut down on how many presets I use. I also did midi mapping to start switch 1 at preset at 400 to go to all of my custom presets. I just did 28 slots. That will probably be all I need. My goal is to alway never push more than two switched to get what preset, scene, or effect I need.

I raised the naming thing in a different thread and was told it was a no-go. Too bad, I think being able to name on a channel basis would be very useful.

It would not be that hard to do. What ever you name Scenes comes through. You need to able to name the effects or you don't know what they are. You have a delay. What kind of delay, how many ms, and such. a phase, univibe or phase. I know if Line 6 can do it Fractal can. The sound and effects is second to none with Fractal, but Helix wins hands down with ease of programming and naming. Cliff is a very driven guy and I can't see this not being fixed, it may not be now. The programming is much deeper in Fractal and more complicated to make such a change. I see it happening, maybe not now.

Back
Top Bottom