[solved] FC-12 (Fm9) - expression pedal calibration limited range

izappa

PROBLEM - Calibrating an expression pedal on the FC-12 won't sweep beyond ~20% of the range.

Using FM9 and FC-12. FM9 firmware 4.0
Fractal Expression Pedal connected to Pedal 1 on FC-12
This is a used FC-12 purchased through Reverb
Within the last 2 weeks, I reset my FM9 (also purchased used) as it felt like I kept chasing old configuration issues (it helped immensely)
  • On Fm-9, I go into FC Controllers/Onboard Switches
  • Page to Remote menu
  • Select Pedal 1, Calibration
  • Continually sweep the pedal fully heel-to-toe
  • The FM9 UI shows it's only sweeping 0-~20% of the range
  • I plugged it into FC-12 Pedal 2 with the same results (see graphic below)
If I take the same pedal and calibrate it as Pedal 1 on the FM9, it sweeps fully heel-to-toe. Thoughts?

FM9 display for FC12 expression pedal calibration.jpg

What type of cable is it? TS or TRS? What firmware is in the FC? Unplug it and plug it back in and watch the display. Is it a Mk I or Mk II FC?

What type of cable is it? TS or TRS? What firmware is in the FC? Unplug it and plug it back in and watch the display. Is it a Mk I or Mk II FC?
FC-12, V1.10, Mk I.
Yes, TRS cable (I verified again) and it all works perfectly if used directly on the FM9. It is an older Fractal cable I bought when I purchased my original FX8 and Fractal expression pedal. I'm going to clean the pot with a Q-tip sprayed with CRC, and I'll try a different cable. Like I said, it works like a charm on the FM9.

Does the FC-12 work ok otherwise?

If the same cable and pedal work with the FM9 something seems suspect.

Maybe try powering the FC-12 with a different XLR cable?

With such a limited response, I'd wager you've got a bad connection somewhere. Try cleaning the pedal jack contacts on the FC-12 and expression pedal with contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol. I'd try updating your FC-12 to FW 1.12 as well.

Thank you all. I updated the FW per your recommendations, cleaned the input jack, and I used the same cable. All is working now.

Ah cool. I just bought 2 expensive Mission pedals and was disappointed with the results
To be clear, the issue it fixes was that after calibration the pedals would not reach 100% when used.

They would get to something like 98.4%.

If you have a very similar issue to the OP then maybe that's different. I'm not sure why updating FW fixed his issue.

To be clear, the issue it fixes was that after calibration the pedals would not reach 100% when used.

They would get to something like 98.4%.

If you have a very similar issue to the OP then maybe that's different. I'm not sure why updating FW fixed his issue.
Mine goes to 96% or so, pretty useless when using it for the whammy pitch block

Make sure you calibrate in the right menu as well. FC unit expression pedals should be calibrated in the FC Config menu and not the I/O menu.

I bought a Mission Springloaded EP-1 for the FM9, trying to calibrate and it doesn't even move past 1%. I plugged it to Pedal 1 selected expression type....what am I doing wrong?

Back
Top Bottom