FC-12 dedicated switch for increasing/decreasing bpm?

zachhord

Is it possible to set a switch to have the tap increase the bpm of the preset and the hold decrease? I understand having a dedicated tap tempo switch but it always seems to be one or two off and I need it to be spot on. I'd like to do this so that I don't have to have a preset for every song I play as I'm floating around 5 bands and probably play around 100 or more songs throughout a gigging week and I'd like to just have one or two pedal boards set up through the axe to manage all that fun stuff.

Anyway, I figured I'd throw this question out to the masses and see if I could get any help, Thank you!

+1. It'd be nice to have another Utility switch option for Tempo, similar to the one for volume, that could be set up to add/subtract 1 or 2 BPM on a switch, even if it didn't save. You could tap in a tempo, and if it was a hair off, you could tap the increment (or decrement) tempo to correct it more easily than tapping the correct tempo, I think.

Probably more than you want to get into, but I use the Bandhelper app on my iPhone or iPad, and a Yamaha Bluetooth Midi to send and receive from the iPhone to my FXIII. Bandhelper sends Midi commands to change preset and scene as defined for each song, and also sends/sets BPM for each song.

Course, it also does way more than just that for me - changes my lighting scenes using dmx, and turns reverb on and off depending on whether we are singing a song or speaking. And it tracks set lists for the 2 bands I am in. But it is more stuff to keep up with.

Nothing wrong with these ideas for another switch, but if you need a very specific tempo, you're probably better off having a preset dialed in for that tempo. Otherwise, you'd have to tap the tempo, then see how accurate you were, then hit the 2nd switch a few times to get it precise. And by then you're already into the song, but paying attention to getting the tempo precise instead of just playing.

Reactions: Rex
Nothing wrong with these ideas for another switch, but if you need a very specific tempo, you're probably better off having a preset dialed in for that tempo. Otherwise, you'd have to tap the tempo, then see how accurate you were, then hit the 2nd switch a few times to get it precise. And by then you're already into the song, but paying attention to getting the tempo precise instead of just playing.
I see it as more of a rehearsal tool, to get tempo dialled in more easily, so you can save that for later by hitting your save preset button(s).

So how would you go from a 120 bpm song to a 150 bpm song? Hit the increase switch 30 times? That seems harder than just tapping the tap tempo.
No I would tap it to get it close, say 148 and then two taps to make it perfect. That's how I use my disaster area dmc 8 with all my strymon stuff on my "analog" board.

+1. It'd be nice to have another Utility switch option for Tempo, similar to the one for volume, that could be set up to add/subtract 1 or 2 BPM on a switch, even if it didn't save. You could tap in a tempo, and if it was a hair off, you could tap the increment (or decrement) tempo to correct it more easily than tapping the correct tempo, I think.
EXACTLY!!!

Like I said, it's just not practical to have 110+ presets for all the songs I play in a week that aren't the same week by week.

+1

There are 3 ways to set tempo with hands:
  • change presets using front panel knob; the tempo is saved in the preset (requires song-specific presets)
  • tap the tempo with hands;
  • set the tempo numerically with hands (knob value);

There should, correspondingly, be 3 ways to set tempo with feet:
  • change presets using a preset/program footswitch or inc/dec (requires song-specific presets);
  • tap the tempo with foot;
  • set the tempo numerically with foot (inc/dec value);

Typically, one would tap the tempo to get close, then use inc/dec to get precise.

It doesn't seem too difficult to implement a +1 inc, -1 dec function for footswitches.

In fact, it seems likely that one could have a tap = +1, hold-down = +10 per second function.

Does anyone else in the band using midi?
If you have a drummer dependant on something midi you might be able to receive the tempo from them and not have to do it yourself ?

Last edited:
Does anyone else in the band user midi?
If you have a drummer dependant on something midi you might be able to receive the tempo from them and not have to do it yourself ?
In some cases I am running Ableton, so I have Ableton sending tempo to my axe fx which is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom