FC 12 buttons stop working

Understand. I love the Axe and everything about it is better than Kemper (for me) but instability and unpredictability of the Fc are not fun. Oddly enough it happened last night for the first time in over a month and made me think of this thread. I’ve been exclusively using the Fractal FASlink cable since last fall.
This happens to me every other month. I gig a lot and it's becoming extremely frustrating. This weekend I have two gigs coming up and I'm going to use a real amp with a pedalboard. I much rather use the Fractal because I have it programmed with big delays and reverbs for certain songs. But I can't. Playing a 3 hour gig without being able to switch scenes and effects is not an option. My last gig, I had my laptop with me so I did what I could using Axe Edit. It was a rough one.

This happens to me every other month. I gig a lot and it's becoming extremely frustrating. This weekend I have two gigs coming up and I'm going to use a real amp with a pedalboard. I much rather use the Fractal because I have it programmed with big delays and reverbs for certain songs. But I can't. Playing a 3 hour gig without being able to switch scenes and effects is not an option. My last gig, I had my laptop with me so I did what I could using Axe Edit. It was a rough one.

Have you gotten in touch with tech support? Sorry this is happening.

It would be worth a try to check all nuts of the buttons for tightness.
But as always, don't overdo it with the spanner. It is a metric size.

I've experienced this issue off & on since first gigging with the AF3/FC12. Tried cables, back ups different extension cords (Possible grounding issue was one of the first solutions) none solved this problem and it has only gotten worse over time. Now I'm a a point where I can't push more than 3 buttons and it freezes. How are we supposed to play shows like that?! I'm frustrated and pissed and yes, have contacted Support. Thinking of buying another FC12 for backup!

I've experienced this issue off & on since first gigging with the AF3/FC12. Tried cables, back ups different extension cords (Possible grounding issue was one of the first solutions) none solved this problem and it has only gotten worse over time. Now I'm a a point where I can't push more than 3 buttons and it freezes. How are we supposed to play shows like that?! I'm frustrated and pissed and yes, have contacted Support. Thinking of buying another FC12 for backup!

Man that sounds like a loose ribbon cable!

Well, I opened it up, looked around, wiggled all the ribbon connectors (Which are glued to the receivers) put the cover back on and it's working again. I have no idea what was wrong or what I really did to stop the issue. Now just have to keep my fingers crossed it doesn't rear it's ugly head again this week during shows! UGH! Fractal can we please address/repair this for good?

Well, I opened it up, looked around, wiggled all the ribbon connectors (Which are glued to the receivers) put the cover back on and it's working again. I have no idea what was wrong or what I really did to stop the issue. Now just have to keep my fingers crossed it doesn't rear it's ugly head again this week during shows! UGH! Fractal can we please address/repair this for good?

I actually removed the glue from mine and just reglued them more firmly. Hot glue guns are really cheap and ubiquitous, and they're your friend with this thing!

So I walked away from it for two hours, come back, turn it in and boom! SAME FUCKING ISSUE. How are we supposed to trust this in a live situation?! Fractal please respond!!
Have you checked the tightness of the nuts with a spanner?

I purchased a replacement MKII pedal and left mine with them for repair. I'm not at liberty to discuss the repair but the new pedal fixed my problem and my original pedal has been refurbished (including updated ribbon cables) and is for sale! Check the Classified thread if interested.

I had the same problem with my FC12 and solved the issue. My unit was running firmware 1.09. I updated to 1.12 and never had the problem again. Here is a release note from that version. I would avoid 1.13, it causes my footswitch labels to light up blank.

NEW VERSION 1.12
• Improved robustness to mitigate the rare occurrences some customers have with footswitches freezing or otherwise misbehaving.
• In February 2022, support was added for the FC-6 Mark II and FC-12 Mark II. Please note that FC “Original” and FC “Mark II” products require different versions of the firmware update file.

I had the same problem with my FC12 and solved the issue. My unit was running firmware 1.09. I updated to 1.12 and never had the problem again. Here is a release note from that version. I would avoid 1.13, it causes my footswitch labels to light up blank.

NEW VERSION 1.12
• Improved robustness to mitigate the rare occurrences some customers have with footswitches freezing or otherwise misbehaving.
• In February 2022, support was added for the FC-6 Mark II and FC-12 Mark II. Please note that FC “Original” and FC “Mark II” products require different versions of the firmware update file.
Firmware 1.13 is only for mkII FCs, I believe. Is yours a mkI?

I had this issue and have since corrected it. I can't go into detail here however i will say that Fractal is aware of the issue and knows how to repair it. It will require your board to go into service to be repaired. I took the opportunity to purchase the newer version with larger display windows and keep the original (now working flawlessly) as a back up. It is not the XLR cable that is causing the issue!

Hi, since the last update i have this sort of issue, two times, on the fc12. Cannot change any scene on the layout scene. i use the faslink cable from fractal. I want to verify the firmware version of the fc12, but there is nothing that i can find. The manual says set up/fc controllers/ devices pages but nothing here like a firmware version. Anyone know how to find it? Thanks a lot

Hi, since the last update i have this sort of issue, two times, on the fc12. Cannot change any scene on the layout scene. i use the faslink cable from fractal. I want to verify the firmware version of the fc12, but there is nothing that i can find. The manual says set up/fc controllers/ devices pages but nothing here like a firmware version. Anyone know how to find it? Thanks a lot
Unplug your FC-12, and then plug it back in. After a few seconds, it will display the firmware version.

Back
Top Bottom