FC-12 at first blush, from a current RJM user

Rick

Axe-Master
The FC-12 arrived today, as punctually as always from Fractal's able staff. The now-familiar black band around the box was a sure sign hours were to be lost this day.

Open the double boxing and there it is: Wider side to side than the MFC by a good bit, even about 3/4" wider than the RJM MMGT/22. Very much shorter front to back, though, with only two rows of footswitches it is a full 5" less into your toe space. Height is close to the same, maybe a hair shorter than the RJM. I backed up everything on the III, and read the few setup pages in the box.

Hookup via FasLink, and everything lights up with the current preset and scene (above/below, each on their own line in the main screen) and all footswitch windows lit but blank. A quick setting change on the III and all the buttons were nicely filled with preset names and bank buttons. Changed a setting for the external pedal, calibrated an EV-2, and that's it! Everything working. Obviously, this was monstrously less involved than setting up the RJM, as all of the MMGT programming resides in the controller itself. The III to FC-12 setup cannot be called anything less than stupid simple. A drummer could do it.

Next, I looked through layouts and found that by going to Perform 1, I could literally gig this tonight. It's not laid out exactly as I would do it, but straight from Fractal there is enough there to go make some money. Pretty sweet, and obviously indicative of design by gigging musicians. There is no real comparison on the screens... the RJM's are huge by comparison and easily more readable. But these are not bad at all, and I have no problem seeing them while standing anywhere close enough to step on the controller. That's going to be an individual choice based on like or need. As an aside here... many of us loved the magnetic labels on the MFC and the labeling here is no smaller, and it is lit up. Workable? No doubt.

So, to make this a short story, true to the first blush theme, it's an impressive controller. Obviously not the number of options in front of you at all times (10 less footswitches pretty much guarantees that), but a completely workable number of options and many more available with a little thought and programming. Everything is so native to the III that you hardly have to tell it anything and you're there.

And there you are. I hoped I would hate it, as that would make deciding on which to use a lot easier. But it is a very nice, well thought out device that shines because of its integration with the Axe FX III. I'm staying with the RJM for the immediate future, but certainly want to do a lot more exploring with this and see what can be done with it. I'll have to educate myself on the midi control possibilities via the III... time for some searches. See? I knew hours were going to be lost!

Last edited:
I received mine today as well. I got it home and had fifteen minutes with it before running out to take my son out for his birthday. In that time I was able to download and install the latest FW and then sync the FC-12 with the Axe, with brainless ease. Two other things that struck me about it, that I couldn't appreciate from the various videos posted to date, were how bright the scribble strips are, and how intense the color rings are. Damn this is gonna be fun!

Two other things that struck me about it, that I couldn't appreciate from the various videos posted to date, were how bright the scribble strips are, and how intense the color rings are. Damn this is gonna be fun!
I agree, especially on the color rings. They look small in pictures and I thought it would be impossible to tell lit from dim. Not at all that way. They work fine. Again, in comparison with the MMGT, those big RJM colored windows are hard to beat, but the FC-12 is good as is.

In the end, direct comparison is misleading because they are two units designed for different things that happen to cross one another’s path in the Axe Fx III. Outside that intersection, you’re back to the workstation versus standalone computer analogies. It’s only in use with the Axe Fx III that you can A/B them, and it is the MMGTs size and equally great construction and support that even make that possible. At 2 1/2 times the cost, it’s not surprising that it’s so good, and remains my controller. As I learn more about the III and its ability to control other midi functions, that might be reevaluated.

My money is on the FC series being very popular, and eventually all current Fractal gear will be updated to use it.

Last edited:
RJM MMGT22 owner here as well. I've been thinking recently of buying an FC-6 or FC-12 when they are available over here in Europe. I've been and GT owner for quite some time now and it does everything and more I need it to do. I've used it with the Axe II and now with the III. Editing the FC via the Axe III's front panel is definitely a plus to me it would save me carrying around my MacBook that for sure.

Towards the end of last year my band had a wedding gig to do and when we turned up to the venue there wasn't a lot of room we were pretty cramped. Thank god for the Axe III straight into the PA, 3 way guitar stand on top of my rack which was on the floor, I didn't even have room for my monitor that I usually connect to out 2 and put on the top of my rack in place of my guitar stand and had to use the band's monitor wedge to hear myself and everything else. Not ideal I know but it got me through the gig.

Anyway it got me thinking that I could use a slightly smaller midi board setup for those type of gigs and if it works out it could become my regular board. What do you guys think is it worth me going for FC6 or shall I go for the FC12? I'm a little worried about having enough foot-switches to be honest especially as I have 8 scenes in one preset. And some IA's like boost, tuner, preset up and down etc. And some other effects that Like to have available on the fly but I rarely use them in a live situation but it still nice to know they are there if I need them.

Is it something you'd all consider replacing the GT with your FC's?

I love the FC-6 and its features. I’ll continue to use my GT though for several reasons.

Thanks Yek, I was hoping you'd respond to this. Do you use the FC6 for the same projects as the GT? if so how do you mange going from a 22 button controller to a 6 button controller? I'd never sell my GT either I saved up a long time for that worth every penny.

I take the FC to rehearsals and of course use it for beta testing.

The RJM remains my main controller because it fits my personal workflow so well. It’s entirely customizable. Plus many buttons, large LCDs, 9v outputs, MIDI OUT to feed my iPad, etc.

6 buttons on the FC-6 is a challenge. For scene-based switching it’s perfect. I just like having access to as many things as possible, without changing pages / layout / etc. But the FC-6 is a wonderful smart device.

I take the FC to rehearsals and of course use it for beta testing.

The RJM remains my main controller because it fits my personal workflow so well. It’s entirely customizable. Plus many buttons, large LCDs, 9v outputs, MIDI OUT to feed my iPad, etc.

6 buttons on the FC-6 is a challenge. For scene-based switching it’s perfect. I just like having access to as many things as possible, without changing pages / layout / etc. But the FC-6 is a wonderful smart device.

Thanks yek, I'm the same I like to have access to everything on the same page. It could be a good Idea for me to have a small rehearsal board though. And then for some of the smaller venues we play to use the FC6. I have time to decide at the moment I suppose. I'd be interested to see if any other GT owners buy an FC and how they manage to cope with less buttons.

@Paulg2uk

I’ve had the FC12 about a week, and I think the integration between it and the III is pretty impressive. Still, I can’t find a reason to choose it over the MMGT 22 I already have. The number of available options without changing screens, the usefulness of the screens and information, and the midi functions I can control directly from it whether I am controlling the Axe FX or other gear makes it a choice of doing less for no gain at this point.

The situation is completely different for anyone coming in new, with no investment yet in a controller. Then you’d have to weigh cost versus function, and for most the FC will cover their needs at a lower cost. I’m not in that situation, and the RJM is still the controller I’m gigging with. No plans to change, and will likely sell the FC12. It’s a great controller, but in my situation (like Yek) I already have a great workflow with the MMGT.

@Paulg2uk

I’ve had the FC12 about a week, and I think the integration between it and the III is pretty impressive. Still, I can’t find a reason to choose it over the MMGT 22 I already have. The number of available options without changing screens, the usefulness of the screens and information, and the midi functions I can control directly from it whether I am controlling the Axe FX or other gear makes it a choice of doing less for no gain at this point.

The situation is completely different for anyone coming in new, with no investment yet in a controller. Then you’d have to weigh cost versus function, and for most the FC will cover their needs at a lower cost. I’m not in that situation, and the RJM is still the controller I’m gigging with. No plans to change, and will likely sell the FC12. It’s a great controller, but in my situation (like Yek) I already have a great workflow with the MMGT.

Thanks Rick,

That's pretty much how I feel on that, is it worth it? not really as I have the GT which is more or less the same size and does more. I think I might just buy an FC-6 for my original plan of having a smaller foot print and see how I get on. I can always sell it off if I end up not needing it. Although the FC12 does look good lol

Very interesting read for me since my plan has been to get an MMGT22 before summer.
I've deliberately waited till there were a fair number of FC's "out in the wild" to get reactions, feedback and demos.
I'll give it a bit more time, but my gut feeling at this time tells me that I'll still go with the MMGT22.

Very interesting read for me since my plan has been to get an MMGT22 before summer.
I've deliberately waited till there were a fair number of FC's "out in the wild" to get reactions, feedback and demos.
I'll give it a bit more time, but my gut feeling at this time tells me that I'll still go with the MMGT22.

I'd go with the MMGT if you can afford to. It's quite an expensive controller but it does so much and it's good to have all those buttons available at the same time. It's definitely worth the investment I think. I bought my GT a couple of years back 2nd hand and I'm very happy with it.

I'm still on the fence between the FC6 and FC12 to be honest but if I did go for the FC12 it would be more or less the same size and less buttons than on the GT so it probably wouldn't be worth me buying one as I have the GT already. The idea is to get a smaller pedalboard footprint for some of the small stages I play and make it work that way. I guess it depends how you're gonna use it, how many scenes etc you need to access during a song or performance. I have 8 scenes on one preset at the moment so I'll need to find a way to incorporate that to the FC6. Should be fun finding it out though.

The GT (MIDI) and the FC-6 (FASINK) work well together. :)
@yek Can you expand some on this? I had an idea of sharing the Axe Fx for rehearsals, setting up a line of blocks to its own output for the other guitarist, and wondered if both controllers could be used at the same time to control different things.

Each device can do its own thing, and being connected both to the III, they adhere to changes.
This. I’ve done a lot of testing with both an FC and a MIDI foot controller attached at the same time. They work seamlessly together.

This. I’ve done a lot of testing with both an FC and a MIDI foot controller attached at the same time. They work seamlessly together.

WOW!! That's an interesting idea, using both.
I have the older LF Pro, it's just hard to consider spending MORE to upgrade to the RJM at this point.

Back
Top Bottom