FC-12 and Axe-Fx 3 enough buttons?

The throw is similar to the Fractal, so long throw. I had to tweak the response curve for use as a wah controller to trim the throw down.
Cool. Good to know they are a viable option. They are so tiny that you could put a switch box behind them on a pedalboard....

Check out the Voes MX-18 which might suit your needs.
18 buttons. Full programmable. Syncs with the III.

View attachment 60530
Yeah, my search led me to this controller too. I read a lot about what it can do. The only thing I cannot figure out is what it can NOT do.
I mean. I get the convenience that you programme the 3 and the FC just responds. On the other hand, I have the MFC and before that the ground control pro. I am used to programming footcontrollers. Admittedly it is not part of the hobby, but still. I think the only info I need to get from the Axe to the footcontroller are tempo and tuner, and the on/off state of effects. Right? Or am I overseeing something now? I never had the feeling of anything missing on the mfc...
Did I read correctly that you can get this Voes pre-programmed?

Kind regards, Harm

if you like to have one button for every single thing, then you'll just have to buy controllers that have that many buttons. it is what it is. the FC series and other midi controllers can do many things if you can deal with pages/layouts of buttons, and tap vs hold.

but that decision is for you to make.

if you want 22 switches with screens, get the MMGT-22 for $1900. or you can get cheaper midi switches with less features. it's completely up to you, and not dependent on how others use their gear.

Hmm, the basic question was how fellow musicians who have the same need solve this. I was avoiding any form of critique, aware as I am of ppl being flamed for that on this forum. So my question was if ppl have found ways to make 12 buttons work for them. I was open for the option of finding a way that had not occurred to me yet. Your response I find very typical. It is that either you work with this fantastic, value for money item that is not expensive at all for what you get and will suit all your needs, or otherwise option b is 1900 dollars.
I think the truth is in the middle. Yes, the FC12 will suit of ppl's needs. On the other hand, if you start looking you see a lot of ppl adding all kinds of buttons/ controllers etc. Apparently a lot of users well, maybe do not "need" but " appreciate" more buttons. Again, I was just trying to broaden my horizon, keeping an open mind.

Harm

Yeah, my search led me to this controller too. I read a lot about what it can do. The only thing I cannot figure out is what it can NOT do.
I mean. I get the convenience that you programme the 3 and the FC just responds. On the other hand, I have the MFC and before that the ground control pro. I am used to programming footcontrollers. Admittedly it is not part of the hobby, but still. I think the only info I need to get from the Axe to the footcontroller are tempo and tuner, and the on/off state of effects. Right? Or am I overseeing something now? I never had the feeling of anything missing on the mfc...
Did I read correctly that you can get this Voes pre-programmed?

Kind regards, Harm

Beside tempo and Block on/off state, preset names and scene names are loaded from the III, which is handy. Also the active Channel of a Block is synced.

On shipment the MX comes pre-programmed based on the device you want to control and based on your personal input. Normally for an Axe-Fx III this would be 5 presets + bank up and down + 8 scenes + drive + delay + tempo/tuner. But since you're not interested in using scenes, I would probably pre-program it as 5 presets + 10 FX + bank down/up + Tempo + Tuner.

Klembord02.jpg

For the record, this is programmed in less than 6 seconds! Using the easy setup in 3 steps:
1. you choose your MX (MX-18)
2. you choose your device (Axe-Fx III)
3. you choose your layout (5 Presets - 10 FX - Bank Up/Down - Tempo Tuner)
Done!

After this template is loaded, you can easily adjust (swapping buttons , changing colors, changing commands).

I also want to mention that you have 3 different pages available (the picture above is Page A).

Try the editor and see how easy it is to program.

If you have any question, let me know.

Beside tempo and Block on/off state, preset names and scene names are loaded from the III, which is handy. Also the active Channel of a Block is synced.

On shipment the MX comes pre-programmed based on the device you want to control and based on your personal input. Normally for an Axe-Fx III this would be 5 presets + bank up and down + 8 scenes + drive + delay + tempo/tuner. But since you're not interested in using scenes, I would probably pre-program it as 5 presets + 10 FX + bank down/up + Tempo + Tuner.

View attachment 60551

For the record, this is programmed in less than 6 seconds! Using the easy setup in 3 steps:
1. you choose your MX (MX-18)
2. you choose your device (Axe-Fx III)
3. you choose your layout (5 Presets - 10 FX - Bank Up/Down - Tempo Tuner)
Done!

After this template is loaded, you can easily adjust (swapping buttons , changing colors, changing commands).

I also want to mention that you have 3 different pages available (the picture above is Page A).

Try the editor and see how easy it is to program.

If you have any question, let me know.

thank you!

Back to the OP's question, the FC units are very flexible in that you can choose what each button does. The nice thing about the FC is that each button has a little display that says what it does. Hold functions are a little more limited in usefulness since you can't see what they do on the display (yes, you can hold down the reveal button). An example of how I use them is I have Drive 1 on/off as a tap function, and Drive 1 A/B as a hold function for that same button.

For me, the 12 buttons isn't really enough so I made one button shift between two layouts where I have different stuff on the top row. Part of me would rather have more buttons, but I also realize the FC-12 + 2 expression pedals is already a lot of floor space and adding another controller will have the downside of making the tap dance harder. Right now, I can keep my left foot planted and reach everything without repositioning, but if I added another FC-6, that might not be doable. I guess at a certain point, you have to start thinking about how much is too much and when less starts to become more.

Hmm, the basic question was how fellow musicians who have the same need solve this.
i provided a direct answer to that question.

I was avoiding any form of critique, aware as I am of ppl being flamed for that on this forum.
i did not flame, critique, or criticize at all.

So my question was if ppl have found ways to make 12 buttons work for them.

this was not very clear from the original post, as you said things like this:

I do not like the switching system on the ax8. press/press hold, etc.
I love having the idea of an extravagant pedalboard at my feet.
Will it work with the FC12? Seems like I need more buttons...

if you don't like the switching system and press/hold functions, and you think you need more than 12 buttons, then i was simply saying get something with more than 12 buttons. that's all. no critique.

Your response I find very typical. It is that either you work with this fantastic, value for money item that is not expensive at all for what you get and will suit all your needs, or otherwise option b is 1900 dollars.
I think the truth is in the middle.

it sounds like you already had an answer in mind, and i didn't provide exactly what you wanted, unfortunately.

again, i did not critique or flame in any way. i simply provided an answer - get something with more buttons than 12 if you want more buttons than 12. I said if you want something with more buttons with screens then an option is the MMGT22. I also said there are other options as well. I was providing an option and an answer letting you know you CAN have more than 12 buttons.

but it seems it wasn't the answer you wanted someone to say, which wasn't clear from the first post.

perhaps if you said “can someone show me how they make 12 buttons work for them” directly, I would have explained that instead. I just answered what I read. it seemed like you were adverse to tap/hold and other functions so I didn’t think you wanted to hear about that.

Last edited:
This is a great setup/layout for people use to the MFC...

My mind is completely BLOWN! How I never knew/heard about program links prior to this means I have been living under a rock!!!!
You sir just changed my entire pedalboard!!! I can save my Stand In Switches and Mini Expression Knobs for the release of the FM3 should it ever see the light of day for us mere mortals!!!!

i provided a direct answer to that question.

i did not flame, critique, or criticize at all.

this was not very clear from the original post, as you said things like this:

if you don't like the switching system and press/hold functions, and you think you need more than 12 buttons, then i was simply saying get something with more than 12 buttons. that's all. no critique.

it sounds like you already had an answer in mind, and i didn't provide exactly what you wanted, unfortunately.

again, i did not critique or flame in any way. i simply provided an answer - get something with more buttons than 12 if you want more buttons than 12. I said if you want something with more buttons with screens then an option is the MMGT22. I also said there are other options as well. I was providing an option and an answer letting you know you CAN have more than 12 buttons.

but it seems it wasn't the answer you wanted someone to say, which wasn't clear from the first post.

perhaps if you said “can someone show me how they make 12 buttons work for them” directly, I would have explained that instead. I just answered what I read. it seemed like you were adverse to tap/hold and other functions so I didn’t think you wanted to hear about that.
Hi Chris,

I have given your reply and the chain of events that led to this some thought. My apologies. The core is, I asked a question, you answered it. I should have left it at that. The discussion we got into because of my reply to it is pointless. It leads nowhere and adds nothing. I appreciate your input, thank you for your effort. If I somehow insulted you personally, that was NEVER my intention, so if I did, my apologies. I will be more careful in the future.

Kind regards, Harm

Hi Chris,

I have given your reply and the chain of events that led to this some thought. My apologies. The core is, I asked a question, you answered it. I should have left it at that. The discussion we got into because of my reply to it is pointless. It leads nowhere and adds nothing. I appreciate your input, thank you for your effort. If I somehow insulted you personally, that was NEVER my intention, so if I did, my apologies. I will be more careful in the future.

Kind regards, Harm
All good. I was honestly trying to provide a relevant answer. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom