FC-12 and Axe-Fx 3 enough buttons?

Harm

Experienced
Hi All,

I have the axe 2, an ax8 and the mfc-101. I am really tempted to buy the axe 3. I have been looking all over the forum, but can't find an answer to the following:

I do not like the switching system on the ax8. press/press hold, etc. The result is that it is my rehearsal rig. 3 cc pedals and I set it to preset mode and just switch presets. I do not use scenes and, to my regret, do not use the option to turn on/off individual effects.
I use that on the axe all the time. bottom Row is presets, one button is "scene up" 3 CC pedals and the other buttons are all assigned to individual effects. I love it and am completely happy. just turn on a rotary whenever I feel like it and so on. I love having the idea of an extravagant pedalboard at my feet.

Now I'd like to do the same on the AXE 3. I know the AXe 3 isn't the problem, but I'd like advice on what to buy to get this same idea going with the axe 3. Will it work with the FC12? Seems like I need more buttons...

Looking forward to inspiring suggestions...

Thank you in advance.

Harm

I use the mfc-101 and the fc6 side by side. The mfc supplies the preset switches and is a send only unit, no display of preset names, but who cares. The fc6 is for the fancy stuff like channel inc/dec, tempo, tuner.

FC12 has a ton of capabilities, especially when coupled with the "Layout Links" that allow you to switch layouts automatically along with the primary action. I use them to switch to a layout with both scene switches and any effect on/off and controller switches meeded for the preset. I use Per-Preset Overrides for almost all of my switches, so that every preset can have its own footswitch setup.

I'm adding 6 external switches to mine because 12 switches was not quite enough for me.
I used to have an MFC and axe fx ii rig, the Axe FX III plus FC12 is much more elegant solution for having lots of control at your feet. With the ii, I needed a separate preset for every song, now I use one preset per gig.

i have my fc12 setup so the axefx fires things up with all presets showing. as soon as i select one, it goes right to scenes where 1 switch is setup to take me to effects. same switch then takes me back to scenes. no press hold going on except to change a block channels and the tuner

Last edited:
I'm adding 6 external switches to mine because 12 switches was not quite enough for me.
I used to have an MFC and axe fx ii rig, the Axe FX III plus FC12 is much more elegant solution for having lots of control at your feet. With the ii, I needed a separate preset for every song, now I use one preset per gig.

How will you add those switches? FC6? or use CC pedal jacks for switches?

I am ... a button addict. I prefer a button to do one thing, so when I go for it I know what's going to happen. I cannot have enough buttons... that said.
IMG_0782.jpg

I use two FC6's because I need to have a small footprint sometimes on gigs so I can come with just one if I really have to. But my full rig has 8 momentary switches.

Switches Left to right
4 switches for the looper
Leslie
Ring Mod
Flanger
Tap Tempo

I ride the volume a lot so I like it in the middle. This way I don't have to take a step to hit any of the buttons. The FC12 is so long that if I have a exp pedal on one side I would have to reposition my body to get to the buttons or pedals on the other side.

4 pedals, left to right
Wah
Volume
Delay Mix/Repeats
Reverb Mix/Length, Envelope filter mix, Pitch depending on what's engaged at the time.

I don't like the press to hold function on the AX8 either, I end up triggering accidentally a lot. But the FC has an adjustable long hold time. I've set a few things on long hold.... its working ... but I'm still trying to make it fluid. The FC system is so flexible that you will be able to make it work for you I'm sure. Is the most well though out control system for guitar I have ever seen.

I am ... a button addict. I prefer a button to do one thing, so when I go for it I know what's going to happen. I cannot have enough buttons... that said.
View attachment 60526

I use two FC6's because I need to have a small footprint sometimes on gigs so I can come with just one if I really have to. But my full rig has 8 momentary switches.

Switches Left to right
4 switches for the looper
Leslie
Ring Mod
Flanger
Tap Tempo

I ride the volume a lot so I like it in the middle. This way I don't have to take a step to hit any of the buttons.

I am putting all 3 of my controllers (and my extra buttons/knob box that I am building) in the middle.

The FC12 is so long that if I have a exp pedal on one side I would have to reposition my body to get to the buttons or pedals on the other side.

This ^^^^ is why I am selling my 12 to get a second 6. The 12 is a fantastic solution if it is your entire pedalboard, or it is the center of your pedalboard. My focus is much more on the controllers. I tried putting the dedicated volume on the left and my expression and wah on the right, but it meant too much wobbling back & forth or reaching and risking falling over (a gymnast and/or yoga master I am not) trying to reach the stuff I use most. I got the FC6 recently and I have tested the split arrangement, and it puts everything I use most "not on zee left, not on zee right, but right in zee middle". All 12 FC buttons I have set up on the pair are an easy, non-wobble-inducing reach.
20191124_120134.jpg

4 pedals, left to right
Wah
Volume
Delay Mix/Repeats
Reverb Mix/Length, Envelope filter mix, Pitch depending on what's engaged at the time.

I don't like the press to hold function on the AX8 either, I end up triggering accidentally a lot. But the FC has an adjustable long hold time. I've set a few things on long hold.... its working ... but I'm still trying to make it fluid. The FC system is so flexible that you will be able to make it work for you I'm sure. Is the most well though out control system for guitar I have ever seen.
Those baby Dunlops are cute. How is the 'throw' of the pedal? Shory like a wah or long like a volume/expression pedal?

Last edited:
How will you add those switches? FC6? or use CC pedal jacks for switches?
4 External switches plugged into the FC12 foot switch ports and 2 in the pedal ports.
I will use the 4 switches as stand in switches to toggle between all the scenes and the other 2 as an external control and tap tempo.

Hi All,

I have the axe 2, an ax8 and the mfc-101. I am really tempted to buy the axe 3. I have been looking all over the forum, but can't find an answer to the following:

I do not like the switching system on the ax8. press/press hold, etc. The result is that it is my rehearsal rig. 3 cc pedals and I set it to preset mode and just switch presets. I do not use scenes and, to my regret, do not use the option to turn on/off individual effects.
I use that on the axe all the time. bottom Row is presets, one button is "scene up" 3 CC pedals and the other buttons are all assigned to individual effects. I love it and am completely happy. just turn on a rotary whenever I feel like it and so on. I love having the idea of an extravagant pedalboard at my feet.

Now I'd like to do the same on the AXE 3. I know the AXe 3 isn't the problem, but I'd like advice on what to buy to get this same idea going with the axe 3. Will it work with the FC12? Seems like I need more buttons...

Looking forward to inspiring suggestions...

Thank you in advance.

Harm
if you like to have one button for every single thing, then you'll just have to buy controllers that have that many buttons. it is what it is. the FC series and other midi controllers can do many things if you can deal with pages/layouts of buttons, and tap vs hold.

but that decision is for you to make.

if you want 22 switches with screens, get the MMGT-22 for $1900. or you can get cheaper midi switches with less features. it's completely up to you, and not dependent on how others use their gear.

if you want 22 switches with screens, get the MMGT-22 for $1900. or you can get cheaper midi switches with less features. it's completely up to you, and not dependent on how others use their gear.

Wow. That thing makes a pair of FC12s look like a bargain....

i have my fc12 setup so the axefx fires things up with all presets showing. as soon as i select one, it goes right to scenes where 1 switch is setup to take me to effects. same switch then takes me back to scenes. no press hold going on except to change a block channels and the tuner
Wait ...... what? how? I need a demo!!!

In AxeEdit, it's easy to set up. I did it to my Preset change switches, so it swaps to the scenes/effects/controls Layout.

Look for the Layout Links area in the FC Controllers setup page. I had to put one on each Preset switch, but once set, it works great. You will need to use a switch to switch back to the Presets layout, but that can be a 'hold' switch under Tap Tempo or something like that.

20190905_075213.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202019-08-21%20at%209.02.40%20PM.png

Wow. That thing makes a pair of FC12s look like a bargain....
You're right, definitely not cheap. I stayed with the MMGT22 because it does other things the FC-6/12 weren't designed to do, and it gave me everything I wanted in one package on the floor. It's a very viable option several here use. That said, it will never be as tailor made for the III as the FC pedals are. They are about as plug and play simple as you can find, and yet have a broad range of options/capabilities/features at a very reasonable price point.

Back
Top Bottom