FBT Verve Series 2-Way (12ma)

Re: FBT Verve Series 2-Way

Did they finally get cought up with production? I have been reading that the MA's are all on 6 week back order.

Mine is coming first week of Aug. :cry:
That is the next group going out. They are drop shipped from FBT (Conneticut i think)

i had mine cranked a while ago and i could feel the air on my arms. Gain on the Verve was at unity (appx 3/4 volume) and my Axe Output1 was at 10 o'clock. Little sucker is LOUD.

Does the 12Ma sound good at living room volumes or does it suffer from the same problems most speakers of that size do when you turn them down? I'm looking to buy a single full range monitor and the Verve 12Ma seems to be the number one choice around here but I need something that sounds at least adequate at low-ish volumes and so far I don't even have a first suggestion.

Johnny Two Tone said:
Does the 12Ma sound good at living room volumes or does it suffer from the same problems most speakers of that size do when you turn them down? I'm looking to buy a single full range monitor and the Verve 12Ma seems to be the number one choice around here but I need something that sounds at least adequate at low-ish volumes and so far I don't even have a first suggestion.

It depends on how low you need the volume. I find that nothing sounds good to me at whisper volumes. Other that that, the 12ma sounds as good as you're going to get at almost any volume.

mitch236 said:
Johnny Two Tone said:

It depends on how low you need the volume. I find that nothing sounds good to me at whisper volumes. Other that that, the 12ma sounds as good as you're going to get at almost any volume.

+1 to that

Johnny Two Tone said:
When you play at low volumes, be sure to keep Fletcher-Munson in mind, and adjust your EQ accordingly. Use the Global EQ to get the classic "smile" curve. Makes all the difference in the world.

xrist04 said:
When you play at low volumes, be sure to keep Fletcher-Munson in mind, and adjust your EQ accordingly. Use the Global EQ to get the classic "smile" curve. Makes all the difference in the world.

Oh, I know of that all too well, brother. Everything I use I basically HATE the flat EQ'd sound at low volumes, including the Axe. It's just so bland and muddy or generally frown-inducing. A little EQing makes all the difference in the world.

Back on topic I guess I'm saving up for a Verve 12Ma then.

I'm interested to know if the folks who are using the FBT and QSC monitors are just temporizing until the Fratomic is released or if they think this is their "destination" FRFR solution. I am on the wait list for the Fratomic but am considering the FBTs to avoid the potential troubles with a tube-based monitor.

Kevin

KG MD said:
I'm interested to know if the folks who are using the FBT and QSC monitors are just temporizing until the Fratomic is released or if they think this is their "destination" FRFR solution. I am on the wait list for the Fratomic but am considering the FBTs to avoid the potential troubles with a tube-based monitor.

Well, there's also the issue of the Fratomic being a initial run product. I really avoid initial productions of basically anything - let someone else be the guinea pig. There's always something that a manufacturer will find that they need to change for the second run and so on.

I was going to reluctantly buy into the Fratomic solution (I say reluctantly because I'm on the camp that regrets their decision to throw some tubes into an essentially tube-free philosophy).

... however, since then, I've changed my course, and am now a happy FRFR user (Verve 12mA). Partially because it took too long for the Fratomic, and partially because of the tube thing.

I'll be one of those who skip their turn when it comes up on the Fratomic waiting list.

Daniel

I wouldn't be too quick to disregard tubes. I have several tube driven devices - guitar amp, headphone amp, distortion pedal - and all have better drive characteristics than similar SS devices. Plus, changing tubes for different brands can yield quite different results, resulting in a wide variety of sounds with a simple tube change. My tube guitar amp, for example, sounds far better now with Tung-Sol pre-amp tubes (12AX7) and Tung-Sol power tubes (6L6) than it did with Ruby pre-amp and power tubes or the stock pre-amp and power tubes that it came with.

Johnny Two Tone said:
I wouldn't be too quick to disregard tubes. I have several tube driven devices - guitar amp, headphone amp, distortion pedal - and all have better drive characteristics than similar SS devices. Plus, changing tubes for different brands can yield quite different results, resulting in a wide variety of sounds with a simple tube change. My tube guitar amp, for example, sounds far better now with Tung-Sol pre-amp tubes (12AX7) and Tung-Sol power tubes (6L6) than it did with Ruby pre-amp and power tubes or the stock pre-amp and power tubes that it came with.

While this is certainly true with tube amplifiers, the difference here is using the tubes for a FRFR system. Presumably, the tube section will be optimized for that type of reproduction. Saying it would sound "better" with a different type of tube may be true, but what you are really saying is the new tube is producing some coloration of the tone that you like.
This reasoning could also apply to the Fratomic in general, in that it may sound a little "different" than the other solutions available but not necessarily "better." Also, I would not relish the idea of purchasing the Fratomic and then going on a search for the optimal tubes to use.

Kevin

KG MD said:
[quote="Johnny Two Tone":1arafzqx]I wouldn't be too quick to disregard tubes. I have several tube driven devices - guitar amp, headphone amp, distortion pedal - and all have better drive characteristics than similar SS devices. Plus, changing tubes for different brands can yield quite different results, resulting in a wide variety of sounds with a simple tube change. My tube guitar amp, for example, sounds far better now with Tung-Sol pre-amp tubes (12AX7) and Tung-Sol power tubes (6L6) than it did with Ruby pre-amp and power tubes or the stock pre-amp and power tubes that it came with.

While this is certainly true with tube amplifiers, the difference here is using the tubes for a FRFR system. Presumably, the tube section will be optimized for that type of reproduction. Saying it would sound "better" with a different type of tube may be true, but what you are really saying is the new tube is producing some coloration of the tone that you like.
This reasoning could also apply to the Fratomic in general, in that it may sound a little "different" than the other solutions available but not necessarily "better." Also, I would not relish the idea of purchasing the Fratomic and then going on a search for the optimal tubes to use.

Kevin[/quote:1arafzqx]

I agree! Not to mention, we are talking about FRFR which is in audiophile territory and there, SS has caught up and even (in some people's opinion) surpassed tubes.

Back
Top Bottom