FBT Verve or Jolly?

Hi! First post here, I’m new to the Axe world. :p

Simple question: is there a big difference between FBT Verve 8ma and FBT Jolly 8ra or 8ba? I mean in terms of sonic quality. The price of the Jolly is almost half of the Verve.

My intention is for live use (maybe a couple of them, if one is not enough), in clubs or small venues, not open air. I usually play covers, classic rock, blues, etc, using 20w or 30w tube combos, so I think a couple of FBT 8”s may be enough for me. My intention is running it in mono, but the 12ma is a little too heavy for me.

Thanks!

P.D: sorry for my english, I’m trying to improve it… :?

Johnny Guitar said:
Hi! First post here, I’m new to the Axe world. :p

Simple question: is there a big difference between FBT Verve 8ma and FBT Jolly 8ra or 8ba? I mean in terms of sonic quality. The price of the Jolly is almost half of the Verve.

My intention is for live use (maybe a couple of them, if one is not enough), in clubs or small venues, not open air. I usually play covers, classic rock, blues, etc, using 20w or 30w tube combos, so I think a couple of FBT 8”s may be enough for me. My intention is running it in mono, but the 12ma is a little too heavy for me.

Thanks!

P.D: sorry for my english, I’m trying to improve it… :?

Ola Johnny,

I don't have heard the verve but I have a Jolly 8... it's good, small, light and loud speaker... BUT!... it has not full and deep bass... so if you want the punch and bass of a full stack, go for a 12'' speaker... at least... ;)

Hasta luego!

My two cents,

I listened to the Jollys with CD music running through a pair at a store awhile back, and and did NOT like them at all. But I never got to try them with the Axe Fx, so I don't really know on them. But I did purchase a pair of Verve 8ma's and they sound great, and the bass is far better than you would expect. My advice, if you can A/B Jollys and Verves, you should - there may be a good reason they are half the price.

I tried the Jolly 8ba. Didn't like them that much. A lot of compression and distortion before they even get real loud.

I have the Maxx2a (10"). They're really good. They feature an acute bass boost to extend the response where the woofer wouldn't go otherwise, that you have to work around for self monitoring/studio use. But for modest PA use, they work great, especially outdoors.

Still, I've very tempted by the Verve 8ma, because of their smaller footprint, and wood enclosure.

Anyone want to trade ? ;)

Cheers,

David

Thanks for your help. There must be a reason why the jolly are half the price of the verve, and if no one likes them, I’ll consider another option.

I like the idea of the Maxx (2A with 10” or 4A with 12”), although price is similar to the Verve. But the weight is important to me, so these may be a better option. And I prefer a 10” than a 8” speaker.

Another simple question: I’m used to small tube combos (20-30 w), so I don’t have that bass response from a 2 x 12 or 4 x 12, and I can live with it (anyway, that bass usually gets lost in the mix). Do you think, users of Verve 8ma, that it has enough bass compared to a small combo?

Tell you what : You buy a pair of Verve 8ma, and if you don't like them, you trade them for my Maxx2a's ;) :mrgreen:

Johnny Guitar said:
Another simple question: I’m used to small tube combos (20-30 w), so I don’t have that bass response from a 2 x 12 or 4 x 12, and I can live with it (anyway, that bass usually gets lost in the mix). Do you think, users of Verve 8ma, that it has enough bass compared to a small combo?

My experience with the bass on the 8ma's is that it surprises the socks off of you - especially laying them on the floor. I once had the Mackie 350's - they were 10 inch and had some sort of bass boost, but they sounded fake. The bass in may verve 8ma's is clear and powerful and honest sounding to me. Ask Scott Peterson, who is also a happy Verve man. I actually have to turn the bass down in my 8ma's while playing in my band as I want the bass player in those frequencies. I would love to hear the 12ma's and hope to have an opportunity to A/B my 8ma's with the 12's, but the bass in the 8's is a mind trip because it is so difficult to conceive that the bass that comes out of those little guys is really in there, but it is.

Bottom line though, is you should try to hear it for yourself if you can.

jiagap, you make me happy, that's what I wanted to hear. :D

I have read Scott Peterson's praises about the power, quality, and volume of the 8ma, but he also said that it wouldn't be enough as a backline for playing live, and that's how I intend to use it. That's why I told you about my small combos, because I'm not used to 4 x 12 and I don't need that kind of bass response, I just need the equivalent to a 20-30 w tube combo.

I can't try the verve where I live, so I'll probably order it with a money-back guarantee in case I'm not satisfied. Anyway, I'd appreciate if Scott Peterson and others verve 8ma users can chime in and share his opinion about this.

You may want to opt for 1 12Ma over a pair of 8Ma's. It would give you more along the line of what you're used to w/ the combo amp. I just got a 12Ma and used it for first time at a blues jam two days ago. Used it as back line. Worked really well w/ the Axe. You said the 12Ma is too heavy? It's certainly not heavier than many 20-40 watt combo amps. YMMV

In my band, we play blues, rock, and jazz, but not loud and heavy metal, so for what we do, the pair of 8ma's is way more than sufficient for medium to small venues. I keep my 8ma's volume control at about 10 oclock and it cuts through the mix effortlessly, and is very clear and sweet. I personally love the stereo, but I would be very willing to bet one 12ma would be quite nice as well. The plus for me on the 8ma's is they are 25lbs each, and with the carrying case I can carry both as an equal balance one in each arm, and it is way easier than carrying one 40-50 cab or amp that leaves you lopsided as you walk. But I am older (55), so I like the lightness. And the quality of the tone out of the pair - at least for me and my bandmates - is heavenly. And if I ever need more, just plug into the FOH PA.

I am NOT saying this is the best or only option, but it works very good for me and what I need. And NO TUBES! I should also add, the 8ma's sound GREAT in my little studio at home as well where I turn them down to 7 oclock, with very small footprint.

Johnny Guitar said:
jiagap, you make me happy, that's what I wanted to hear. :D

I have read Scott Peterson's praises about the power, quality, and volume of the 8ma, but he also said that it wouldn't be enough as a backline for playing live, and that's how I intend to use it. That's why I told you about my small combos, because I'm not used to 4 x 12 and I don't need that kind of bass response, I just need the equivalent to a 20-30 w tube combo.

I can't try the verve where I live, so I'll probably order it with a money-back guarantee in case I'm not satisfied. Anyway, I'd appreciate if Scott Peterson and others verve 8ma users can chime in and share his opinion about this.
i can tell you from personal experience the the 8ma will work as a backline solution in a moderately loud band, especially compared to 20-30watt combo. i love it, i use the 12ma &/or the 8ma. best stage & FOH sound i've ever had.

jiagap said:
The plus for me on the 8ma's is they are 25lbs each, and with the carrying case I can carry both as an equal balance one in each arm, and it is way easier than carrying one 40-50 cab or amp that leaves you lopsided as you walk.

That's exactly mi situation. I have back problems because I've been 20 years carrying heavy amps and cabs, and I won't do it anymore. TonyGring, you are right when you say many small combos weight the same or more than the verve 12ma, but not my small combos (Marshall JTM30, Koch Studiotone): they are 33 lbs (15 kgs), and I don't want carry more weight than that.

I think I'll try the 8ma and if that's not enough (probably it will be) I'll consider another 8ma, although I've tried several times the stereo thing live, and usually it's not practical. But I'm sure it will be in sonic heaven, as jiagap says. ;)

Thank you for all the help and advice. :)

I have a 8ma and I use a 3 space rack on a "Z" stand. The stand will just to my right when I play. I plan on sitting the 8ma on top of the rack and use it right out of the back of the axe. The 8ma will be about 3 feet from my head. I think it will be loud enough in just about any situation. If not, it's time for the stage volume to turn down. :!:

Jim

Back
Top Bottom