FBT Verve 8ma vs Mackie HR824

jiagap

Inspired
I have a pair of 824s and have no way to hear the 8ma's without purchasing and shipping here. Any thoughts from anyone on these, pro or con in comparison?

79 views and no response? Do I need to ask the question differently or does no one have personal experience with both?

I just keep hearing all this great stuff on the 8ma's but no way to hear them. And I own a pair of HR824s and have my thoughts on them. I cannot take the Mackie 824s on a gig, but seriously thinking about a pair of 8ma's if they would do the trick. Light, great sound, no tubes.....very appealing. A pair of 12ma's would be wonderful, but not sure I need that much for the amount and small places I play. This is why I have stayed away from the QSC's because they are so large and more power than I would ever use - though I loved how they sounded when I got to audition a pair - and they blew the Mackies out of the water.

The other night at practice, I just played through a small 15watt fender amp with a single 12' open back cab and my sound was incredible and I only had the thing turned up to 4. So, if a pair of FRFR 8ma's would work, and I would not miss the 12", I may be all over it. And do I understand correctly the 8ma's do NOT have handles on them? If so, that is is significant minus.

Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated.

I don't own the Mackie HR824 nor the 8ma, but "only" one 12ma.
Mackies are studio speakers and FBT are live monitors, so comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges (i like oranges :p )
I would choose:
- 1 12ma if I need a great monitor
- 1 8ma if I have "very" small space (the 12ma is compact too)
- 2 8ma or 2 12ma only if you need stereo
I would remark that the 12ma is a very compact monitor, you must have a very very small room to need an even smaller speaker, and obviously two 8ma are greater than one 12ma

The other night at practice, I just played through a small 15watt fender amp with a single 12' open back cab and my sound was incredible and I only had the thing turned up to 4. So, if a pair of FRFR 8ma's would work, and I would not miss the 12", I may be all over it.
Of course a pair of 8ma would work, and I'm sure that even a single 12ma would work in this case.
In my opinion you only have to do some calculation between money/need to go stereo ;)
Bye

Thx RCarter,

I am DEFINITELY wanting stereo, that is why 2 QSCs were overkill. And two 12ma's may be as well. Money is not the huge issue. I want excellent quality, stereo, and light weight for an old man!

Thanks again, I may just order a pair of 8ma's in the morning. I got too tired of waiting for the Fratomic - and a pair of those may be overkill as well.

jiagap said:
Thx RCarter,

I am DEFINITELY wanting stereo, that is why 2 QSCs were overkill. And two 12ma's may be as well. Money is not the huge issue. I want excellent quality, stereo, and light weight for an old man!

Thanks again, I may just order a pair of 8ma's in the morning. I got too tired of waiting for the Fratomic - and a pair of those may be overkill as well.

If you get 8ma's you DEFINITELY want the carrying bag!!!!

Back
Top Bottom