[solved] FB Hang/not receiving - Windows bug

PossumBear

Hi guys, I came here to ask for help but figured out the issue in the meantime and wanted to pass along the info. Hopefully FAS sees this and can investigate or put it into the user manual for FB.

Anyway, I was trying to backup my FM3 using FB 3.0.4 and it wouldn't start the backup. FB saw my unit fine and everything looked happy, but when I hit 'begin' it would just sit there for over an hour doing nothing. Hitting 'cancel' sometimes worked, after yet another 10min lag. When it didn't work, I just exited FB and didn't touch my FM3.

I was puzzled, because my FM3 was clearly not frozen and neither was my laptop. I also had selected a seemingly valid destination folder. I had just picked a folder on my desktop by navigating there by using the 'browse' button. When I finally looked at the full path, I saw that it was in a OneDrive subfolder - and I don't currently have OneDrive hooked up on that laptop. Something has changed within windows because the Desktop folder used to be under c:\users only. Changing the save-to location to c:\dummyfolder then worked perfectly 😓

I don't know if the fix is to either ban OneDrive (or any embedded cloud folder tree) folders, or to be sure that you're logged in to OneDrive, but either way I guess the work-around is to avoid OneDrive like the plague - which I was clearly doing anyway :)

Hope this helps somebody else out there!

Back
Top Bottom