Favourite Non FRFR Speaker To Use With Fractal

la szum

Axe-Master
I am curious about experiences with Non-FRFR guitar speakers to use with Fractal gear.

Do you have a favourites that you have grown to like, or love? Have you had any that you just
didn't get on with?

Not looking for thoughts on any FRFR 12" style speakers. Tell me about Alnicos, Greenbacks
and Creambacks, JBLs and EVs that are traditionally used in various cab configs for use with guitar.

Thanks!!

I’ve got two 2x12’s now with different speakers; one has WGS Retro 30’s and the other has Black Shadows. The Retro 30’s are like a tame V30, not as harsh with the mids/highs and right about the same as far as bass goes. Fairly neutral speakers that I dig quite a bit. I haven’t done a side-by-side test of them to really point out the differences, but it seems I was getting clean tones I was happier with, quicker, with the Black Shadows.

I don’t know if it’s something with the mids or what, but I I tend to go for more EJ/Petrucci clean tones, glassy and pretty. The Black Shadows do a pretty stellar job with that where I’d have to tweak a little more to get the same result from the Retro’s.

Thanks! :)

I am struggling with a V30 in a 1x12 wedge style enclosure right now. I have a WGS ET65 in the same cab on
the other side and really dig that. I picked up a 65w Creamback to replace the V30. Hoping it is a little (or a lot)
smoother than the V30 sounds right now.

I am making sure to record it all in a mix so I am not tricking myself more than I might otherwise.

Get a big tube power amp, switch off the amp and cab and put it through a 4x12 and it will sound great. 70% of the models won't work properly but some will sound amazing.

I ran my unit into a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170, then out to a small Mojotone closed-back cab with a Celestion Creamback and it sounded killer! Most amp models sound good with this speaker, unless if you want a 2x12 or 4x12 "beefiness" or a Voxy Celestion Blue tone. If you play rock, this is a good choice.

I have a new Bogner 212CB with V30s. Love this cab like no other. It is the exact bottom half of the Bogner 4x12 and is beefy sounding!
I hate V30s that aren't broken in. I had a pair UK made ones from the early 90s that were nicely broken in. I should have NEVER sold them! I'm currently looking at getting a couple of the creamback neo's to lighten up the cab even more.

I've put a rack mount Orange Pedalbaby 100 into my rack and it sounds great with the Axe III. Just fine tuning the sound these days a bit more. So great to be able to run into a standard cab and also into FOH for live work!

Last edited:
Speaker choice probably comes down to what kind of music you want to play- choose speakers to match what style/amp models you would be working with.
I have EV 12Ls in my stereo 2x12, and I use it with a Matrix power amp, and dear Lord does it move air. Not so good for Vox or Jensenish kinds of sound, but it does sound great for more modern interpretations of cleans- the Carol Anns kill through it. Plus I don't feel like I'm going to blow up the speakers with the big Matrix amp.

Back
Top Bottom