Favourite cabs

SSteve6

I'm amazed at how much the cab affects the sound.
I got a 5153 50w blue to sound the way I like (thanks to Leon's vid)... then I started cycling through different cabs and the difference between each one is quite substantial.

So I thought I'd just ask kind of an open question as to what other people's favourite cabs are for various types of tones...?

Cheers

This isn't a fair response, but I had a friend make IRs of my 212 closed cab. I get a lot of use out of those. Probably because I'm so familiar with the tone.

Many others just seem so dark. I usually have to dial the darkness out.

Last edited:
I am a factory cab #34 guy. Love it with plexi, tucana, etc. For cleans I use a non-factory cab. It is a 2 x 12 JBL cab, but I can't remember where I got it. You can get it at the Axechange by searching under my name (Geezerjohn).

I really like this one, WGS Retro 30. It's one of my favorite speakers with 'real' amps. It's incredibly versatile and sounds great with any Fractal model I've tried it with. I usually switch to the 'correct' speaker type for a model but starting with the WGS helps me dial in gain levels, eq and make dynamic adjustments.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wgs-retro-30-free-ir.128249/

Thx for the link. My 212 that my friend made the IRs of is loaded with WGS Vet 30 and Reaper HP drivers. It has a crisp, balanced tone.

Thx for the link. My 212 that my friend made the IRs of is loaded with WGS Vet 30 and Reaper HP drivers. It has a crisp, balanced tone.
Welcome. WGS makes some great speakers and are gaining such popularity they're creating a nice niche for themselves, especially with some boutique builders. It would definitely be nice to see more IRs of them. I have a 2X12 loaded with a Retro 30 and ET65 and it's easily one of the best sounding cabs I've had.

Back
Top Bottom