Favourite Amp models

Glad you like it. A better person to get input from is probably @Rick. He actually owns one.
With the real amp, I like having the master up a bit above noon and the dial in the gains for whatever level of grind you like. The only way I could actually do that and not damage my hearing was to use an Ox Box… those KT88s at 75 watts can get shockingly loud. The tone stack settings are a matter of taste and style of music, but they all work effectively together to shape the kind of distorted tones you’re getting. It’s a clearer amp at any setting than a typical 6L6 or EL34 at the same volume and never sounds stressed while moving mountains of air. I always thought of it as a powerful, authoritative tone.

Sadly, my Tucana 3 is no longer with me. I’ve done some downsizing in retirement and it was one of the amps I wasn’t using a lot, as I was using the model in the Axe Fx for gigging. Just sold it a week or two back. I’m sure to regret it one day, but the new owner is actually using it, and that’s cool to know. It’s a great amp.

With the real amp, I like having the master up a bit above noon and the dial in the gains for whatever level of grind you like. The only way I could actually do that and not damage my hearing was to use an Ox Box… those KT88s at 75 watts can get shockingly loud. The tone stack settings are a matter of taste and style of music, but they all work effectively together to shape the kind of distorted tones you’re getting. It’s a clearer amp at any setting than a typical 6L6 or EL34 at the same volume and never sounds stressed while moving mountains of air. I always thought of it as a powerful, authoritative tone.

Sadly, my Tucana 3 is no longer with me. I’ve done some downsizing in retirement and it was one of the amps I wasn’t using a lot, as I was using the model in the Axe Fx for gigging. Just sold it a week or two back. I’m sure to regret it one day, but the new owner is actually using it, and that’s cool to know. It’s a great amp.
Awesome. Thanks so much.

As feared, I've now swapped this into my presets. Since I was doing a single amp rig thing, I just dialed it into a new channel and changed all the scenes to that channel. I like the body of this amp much better.

Cleans
Fender 6G12 Concert
Fender Trem (I think?)

Edge of Breakup (rock)
1959SLP Jumped
Plexi 50W 6CA7
In fact let's just say all Marshall models. I love every single one of them
Wrecker Express
Supremo Trem (underrated, try cranking it)

Thrash/Shred
Brit 800 #34
Cameron CCV2C - This one is my go to "shred practice" amp. It's like a slightly more aggressive, but quiter brit 800 #34, it's not compressed sounding like some of the other 800 clones either. I never hear anyone talk about this one at all. Check it out

Extreme
6160 Block

I want to get into some of the other high gain amps but I have no idea how to dial them in. The SLO-100, Mesa models and Engle (Angel?) amps all sound like shit when I touch them, but I know it's me and not the amp models.

I want to get into some of the other high gain amps but I have no idea how to dial them in. The SLO-100, Mesa models and Engle (Angel?) amps...
Have you referenced Yek's Amp Guide? There are tips for almost every amp model, and often direct links to the amp manual which will sometimes give recommendations for adjustments.

I’m more of a metal player and at the moment Das Metall does the job done for me!

Other favorites:
6160 Block
Friedman BE/HBE
Cameron CCV 2

Awesome. Thanks so much.

As feared, I've now swapped this into my presets. Since I was doing a single amp rig thing, I just dialed it into a new channel and changed all the scenes to that channel. I like the body of this amp much better.
@fcs101 Just an update. We had to take a break from rehearsing for a while, but last night we did our first rehearsal since I recreated my presets using the Tucana. Holy moly did it sound good. It really just sat in the mix much better, but still had its own place. Just the right amount of thickness and cut. Thanks again for the suggestion on this amp.

Last edited:
I'm also going to put a new mention out to the Two Stone J35 PAB. I recently treated myself to a private lesson from Allen Hinds and decided to try and get a tone close to what he gets (I know he uses those Red Plate amps, but I've heard him get a similar tone with Twins also). Managed to get pretty close using this amp. It's not quite the right vibe for the band I play in, but it is definitely worth an explore for anyone who likes Hinds' tone.

@fcs101 Just an update. We had to take a break from rehearsing for a while, but last night we did our first rehearsal since I recreated my presets using the Tucana. Holy moly did it sound good. It really just sat in the mix much better, but still had its own place. Just the right amount of thickness and cut. Thanks again for the suggestion on this amp.
Hey, I'm here to help! :cool:
That's great that you like it. From your original comments, it just seemed like it should be up your alley. I think I've convinced myself to pull the trigger and buy one, if I ever find one at a reasonable price.

Back
Top Bottom