Favourite Amp models

Randalljax

Axe-Master
Since i figured there are likely many
new Fractal owners here i thought i would ask so far what models are you guys digging

for me the last couple of days Its been Mesa Triple Crest that amp is incredibly versatile and does all levels
of crunch to high gain solos

if you have not checked them out you should

First time fractal/modeler owner here. I've been so overwhelmed, I haven't been able to play an amp for more than a few minutes before switching and trying a different preset lol. I've been playing a lot with Leon Todd's presets, which has been really fun. But i think the Recto Orange Modern is my favorite so far. Super heavy. Plexi is also fun for blues.

I find the cab list the most overwhelming though. They change the tone SO much and there are soooo many of them.

Last edited:
For cleans I love the Jazz Chorus amp. I was looking forward to that before getting the FM3 so I could get rid of my actual version.

Distortion wise I'm really digging the Diezel VH4 and SLO100.

For cleans I've always been drawn to the CAE or the Triaxis.

Dirt is usually the Triaxis, Friedman BE/HBE, or the jumpered Marshall.

Can you tell I owned a Triaxis for a long time before Fractal stuff?

When I had the AX8, I was shocked how many amp models sounded good. It was fun at first but I totally got overwhelmed after awhile so I focused. I got to a point where I decided I wanted amp model/IR combinations that sounded consistent when I switched between them. I don’t have my FM3 yet but I bet these sound even better than I remember:

Splawn Quickrod
Cameron CCV
Morgan AC20
Fender brownface Deluxe

Super Reverb
Vibro King
Bandmaster
Tweed Twin
Tweed Bassman
65 Bassman
Tweed Champ
Brown and Blackface Vibrolux
(Are you starting to see a pattern?)

The number one thing that makes the FM3 great for me is all of the Fender sounds. Helix and others only have two or three. If we could just get a Klon and a Tonebender, I'd be all set.

Other faves are the Suhr Badger 30, and the clean channel of the ODS-100 with the gain cranked. I used to own a Badger, and I loved it. The clean ODS-100 with the gain cranked is actually plenty of gain for me, and it doesn't get muddy like the OD channel does.

FM3 is my second FAS product after the AxeFX Standard I bought new about ten years ago. Most of the amps I listed above weren't available back then.

I'm a metal guy and basic af so the 5150 Block is right at the top of my list. Followed closely by the Uberschall, Ecstacy, Mark IV, and Mark IIC++

But I also love me some Friedman HBE, JCM800 Mod, and Atomica High. Hell, I love 'em all. Fractal is a guitarist's dream come true.

I like to experiment, but my main preset that I usually come back to uses the Mesa Lonestar for clean, Engl Savage for rhythm, and Mesa JP2C for lead.

I can‘t really speak about the current version of Fractal‘s amp modelling. April last year I sold my AX8 because I thought that I would get an FM3 a couple of weeks later. Well, that turned out... not so good.

However, on the AX8 my favourite amp model was the Marshall JVM HJS Satriani Signature (I believe it was JS410 Lead Orange). Very, very tight high gain sound with a very percussive and accentuated pick attack. Close to the Friedman HBE 2018 C45, but a little clearer in the low mids. I really miss that particular amp model.

I'm still a sad bastard on the wait list, so am really interested in the current user perspective. Is anyone using any of the Dumble-type models? I'm a huge Robben Ford fan and I'm just interested in people's experience with any of the Dumble models.

I was playing around with the Trainwreck Express tonight and holy cow does that sound good. Then I noticed (can't believe I missed this before) the FAS Express model which I guess is his idealized modded Express. Wow... I like that even more! It might be my new favorite overdrive amp. Love that they put their own amps in here (both original and modded versions of existing ones).

Maybe time to ask this question again as Cygnus likely changed some prior favs
my current models in use are The
SLO, Engl Savage , DrZ38
Fender twin ( urbans )

My favorite has been changing on a daily basis but since Cygnus, I’ve locked onto the JCM 800 paired with the free York Alnico Cream IR mixed with the York DV77. It does everything that I want so well that I haven’t bothered to explore for any other amp sim.

Reactions: MPZ
What’s everyone using now. Try as I might, I can’t get away from the 50w Plexi High and 100w Plexi High. I’ve been dabbling with the Jumped variants too. They only thing changed in the past year is the IR - now the York Marshall GB25 IR.

I keep trying to branch out - but I just don’t dig many other models for gain - the Friedmans have an overtone that bothers me, and I can’t quite dial in the Soldano or Camerons. I even bought the YA FDMAN pack to see if that brought some magic from the BE / HBE, but I prefer the Plexi.

I did also grab the YA Verb Deluxe IRs and have grown very fond of the Deluxe Reverb model through those with a strat and the Full OD pedal (or a TS808).

Back
Top Bottom