Favorite VSTs

zedeloc

Inspired
I'm always on the lookout for great plugins. I love finding new and innovative VSTs to add to my collection. What are some of your favorite plugin's?

Not necessarily a plugin as you mean (and not a VST technically either), but the JS Mid/Side encoder and decoders are extremely interesting plugins. Sandwich around any FX to turn a normal plugin in to a mid and/or side version. Very helpful on occasion, and completely free!

Well, we all know the Axe FX is king (not that I'm opposed to anything else that's cool or unique). I'm much more interested in processors and instruments. Compression, saturation, eqs, nifty effects like Boz Digital's Big Beautiful Door (a 2 band noise gate which allows you to EQ loud and quiet settings separately) or Meldas MMultianalyser (allows one to see where tracks conflict and build up in the frequency domain ).
One plug I acquired recently is Plugin Alliance's Knifonium. It's a soft synth modeled after a real synth with 20 or so tubes that can make some truly inspiring sounds.

Since so many people on this forum have a great set of ears and like to tweak, I assume there are some hidden gems to be found amongst the forum goers.

here is what I use mostly:

Drums:
Mixwave - these are my go to's now
Getgood Drums
Toontrack
Steven slate
Ugritone

Mixing:
Fabfilter
Voxengo
Pspaudioware
sonimus
Slate Digital
Boz digital
Stillwell
Cytomic

Mastering:
iZotope Ozone

Vsti:
AAS
Native Instruments
Air Hybrid
Stock Cubase instruments
Solemn Tones

Last edited:
There’s so much cool stuff out there these days - I’m not sure how many particularly new or innovative plugin concepts have come out recently but the less conventional ones in my mind are

Soothe (and Spiff)
Gulfoss
Leapwing Audio
Izotope RX is constantly pushing boundaries

I’d also suggest trying UAD if you haven’t already now that they offer subscriptions. They’ve really been at the forefront for modelling technology and still lead the lack for my money. The competition has definitely caught up and I don’t believe anyone is yet to beat their level of detail for what they do.

For VST’s, Superior Drummer 3 and East West’s Play. I use Play for all my strings, choirs, brass, bass bombs, sound effects, tons of stuff. I’ve got a subscription to their libraries and you can download whatever you want from it. Really good sounding stuff.

Absynth and Korg’s Triton are a couple others.

For regular plug-ins I stick with what I’m familiar with and know do exactly what I want, mostly Waves and Plug-in Alliance stuff, but far too many to start listing.

I wouldn't know where to begin. I literally have several reverb plug-ins alone that I would call favorites. I would have to break it down by effect or simply type, genre, etc.

Fabfilter Pro Q3
Fabfilter L2
Fabfilter Compressor
Gulfoss
Soothe 2
Soundtoys Echoboy
Soundtoys Decapitator
Valhalla Reverb

For the rest, I can pretty much get by with Logic stock plugins.

Black Rooster Audio have great dynamics VST's. Their LA-2A and VEQ-1P renditions are awesome and they often have great sales on with massive discount on bundles.

Aside from a lot of the free plugins in Logic, I often use these:

FAS-FX Reverb
Everything Toontrack especially Superior 3
Everything U-he, especially Diva
AlyJames VSDX
NI Kontakt & FM8
Korg Legacy Collection
FabFilter C2 and Q3
Arturia V Collection
Waves SSL
Waldorf PPG
Omnisphere
GForce M-Tron and Minimonsta

Toontrack and Izotope are my favs. Of course I have 100's others. I still, after all these years refuse to put any type of plug in lock crap on any of my computers. I know, what can I say. Plenty of offerings without going near it imho!

As you can probably guess, I use a lot of my own plugins, and many thanks to those of you who have bought them over the years. However, one plugin I've been using a lot lately that is not mine that I'll mention is Soothe, from Oeksound. It does a great job of taming those whistling resonances that are so easy to overlook when mixing.

Back
Top Bottom