Favorite "pedal platform" amps?

Yeah, I totally get that. Sometimes it's nice to have the analog knobs right there at your feet where you can reach down and grab them on the fly.

My biggest wishlist item for the FC pedals would be the ability to handle multiple actions with one switch. Rather than just one action.

I know you can technically accomplish a lot of that with control switches, but it seems more cumbersome to work with.
I completely agree! That was the single main reason I bailed on the FC12. I have several buttons on my PBC set to send multiple commands, and to multiple pedals. One of the most convenient is turning one off when you turn one on so you don’t have to hit two separate switches.

That's what Scenes are for... But I do wish for the same thing ;)

The one problem with scenes is that I wish you could exclude blocks from the scene. They implemented this in Helix and it's been incredibly useful.

Ex: Use scenes to control amp, drive, and comp blocks, but exclude delay block from scene control. Then I could use scenes to set up multiple combinations of amp/drive/comp for different gain levels, and I could control my delay separately from that. So when I change scenes it doesn't change my delay to what is set for that scene. The two can be controlled independently of each other.

And I know you can technically sort of do that with scene controllers, but it's not exactly the same and feels more cumbersome to me

The one problem with scenes is that I wish you could exclude blocks from the scene. They implemented this in Helix and it's been incredibly useful.

Ex: Use scenes to control amp, drive, and comp blocks, but exclude delay block from scene control. Then I could use scenes to set up multiple combinations of amp/drive/comp for different gain levels, and I could control my delay separately from that. So when I change scenes it doesn't change my delay to what is set for that scene. The two can be controlled independently of each other.

And I know you can technically sort of do that with scene controllers, but it's not exactly the same and feels more cumbersome to me
There are multiple wishes for this ;)

Maybe someday...

I'll sheepishly admit my pedalboard is a little out of control, haha. Here's what's on it:
b8zGjSV.jpg

The biggest thing for me is that I tweak quite a bit while playing, and I'm just not comfortable with giving up the ability to change things on the fly. I've tried the route of "all in" with Helix, and pre-programming everything, but always ended up making a bunch of changes in Helix on the fly and it was cumbersome, and frankly time consuming.

I have about 10-12 songs preprogrammed in my PBC (Intro; verse; chorus; etc...) but I only do that on songs where I have to make a significant number of pedal changes between song sections (for example if I have to step on more than 4 pedals)... For 99% of what I'm doing I have a PBC preset that allows me to access any pedal via a switch, change between 3 different reverbs and 2 different delays subdivisions. I also have a page set up to access 8 different Mobius presets, so I have instant access to bit destroyer, filter, wah, flanger and other sounds.

I briefly tried the FC12, but I couldn't figure out how to get the same amount of control over the effects that I have via my PBC.
That's a tasteful choice of pedals IMO, and a great looking build. Nothing to be sheepish about. I'm a big believer in using what works. If what works happens to be a pedalboard in front of a modeler, so be it.

In real life, the best pedal platform I've ever heard was a hiwatt. They have reputations for taking pedals well, but I never really knew what that meant. Occasionally there are blatant mismatches of gear, but usually if you know how to set things up, it will work. When I brought home a hylight era dr504 it just blew my mind. Pedals just "melt" into it. Doesn't feel like you're filtering a signal going in, it feels like you are altering the circuit. Haven't really experienced a bad pedal platform (unless the high end is wonky) but this amp outshines everything else I've tried

The model is the same way, but the axefx just seems to take pedals very well in general as long as you're at unity (or leave it on constantly)
I just sold my 76 Hiwatt Custom 50 for an Axe Fx 3 and was blown away at how close they sound.

In my humble opinion, every tube amps color the tone to some degree whatsoever.
Especially British favor power tubes lines suck well. In addition, what does it makes
sense if you use pedals just hit the front of tube amps which sound good dirty tones.

Mine is 50 Watt tube amps designed dedicate for pedals, having fx loop in front panel
so that it makes 4 cable setup easy. GURUS sits beside your pedal board and, only you
will need a long speaker cable connecting to a cab in your back line....
Absolutely no coloration onto your tone at all.

I just sold my 76 Hiwatt Custom 50 for an Axe Fx 3 and was blown away at how close they sound.
Haha I know what you mean. I got mine and I was like "I'm glad I own a real one because there's no chance the axe can nail this... THIS is truly something special and out of the ordinary!" and then I fired it up in the axe and right off the bat the default settings sounded every bit as good. Then I told myself "ahh well, there's no way the axe is gonna take pedals as well as this does at least..." wrong again!

Still glad I bought it, it's a blast to crank it, but I don't have a cab with fanes in it, so if I'm being quite honest I prefer the axeIII when it's time to really experience the iconic Hiwatt tone :tearsofjoy:

Back
Top Bottom