Favorite Multi-effect Pedal to Pair up with your FM3

I was thinking of perhaps get a quite versatile multi-effect to pair up with my future FM3 so the CPU stays relatively lower and you can create quite interesting rigs without being afraid of running out of CPU power. What would you go with reverbs, overdrive, distortion, modulation pedal? For example, those new workstation units by Keeley are quite interesting...or Strymon...? anyways Suggestions, comments, your experience?

I had a short stint with Eventide H9 Max! Great unit but once I figured out how to use other effect types (Plex delay) which saves on CPU I sold it off as the effects in the FM are just as good! Some of the odd type effects like the Electro Harmonix B9 or something like that would be cool!

The fact that you place anything in the loop opens up a lot of possibilities!

I had a short stint with Eventide H9 Max! Great unit but once I figured out how to use other effect types (Plex delay) which saves on CPU I sold it off as the effects in the FM are just as good! Some of the odd type effects like the Electro Harmonix B9 or something like that would be cool!

The fact that you place anything in the loop opens up a lot of possibilities!

Thanks man, @Sixstring are you using the unit pair with the FC6, or external switches?

Last edited:
I'm using a Specular Tempus reverb in the loop and it sounds fantastic! It saves a ton of CPU by not having to use the reverb block, plus it's MIDI-capable so I can control the patch and parameter changes with the MIDI block in the FM3.

I'm using a Specular Tempus reverb in the loop and it sounds fantastic! It saves a ton of CPU by not having to use the reverb block, plus it's MIDI-capable so I can control the patch and parameter changes with the MIDI block in the FM3.
That's awesome @Poparad. That was one of my consideration to get a reverb. Did you consider to get like a something with more modulations at the beginning?

Unless you are going wild with reverb, there doesn't seem to be an issue. I can run Amp, Cab, Overdrive, Phaser, Flanger, two delays, and a spring reverb with CPU to spare. Switching to high quality reverbs has an impact - if I really need that I'd get a Poly Digit I reckon. All the other FX fit just fine on the CPU core dedicated to FX, your amps have their own CPU core. Can't imagine many other FX pedals sound close to the Fractal models.

Unless you are going wild with reverb, there doesn't seem to be an issue. I can run Amp, Cab, Overdrive, Phaser, Flanger, two delays, and a spring reverb with CPU to spare. Switching to high quality reverbs has an impact - if I really need that I'd get a Poly Digit I reckon. All the other FX fit just fine on the CPU core dedicated to FX, your amps have their own CPU core. Can't imagine many other FX pedals sound close to the Fractal models.
Awesome @zerolight, that's helpful....I noticed most people might go for a reverb since it takes a lot of CPU!

My favourites, based on tones and functionality;

H9 - lots of great sounding algorithms, including some really out there special fx. Only one algo at a time though.
Digit - touch screen, IR based verbs, synths, plenty of weird effects (granular, bit crusher, meta modulator), loads of horsepower. Workflow is based on eurorack style modules so may seem a bit alien if you want a "traditional" guitar pedal.
Specular Tempus - compact, great sounds, does the "big" verbs really well. UI is a bit fiddly and the computer editor is a bit buggy.

I've got a few videos on the topic here.

Thus far I don't want for anything else for guitar or bass.

That said, next week I'm borrowing a Kawai K5000 synth and will run it into the FM3 FX returns to add Fractal ambient effects and reverbs: can't wait!

An hx effects looks like a great pairing to an FM 3 to me. Midi capable. 6 switches. Good effects for live easily. That's my plan when my number comes up. The hx works great with a real amp in 4 cable also.

My favourites, based on tones and functionality;

H9 - lots of great sounding algorithms, including some really out there special fx. Only one algo at a time though.
Digit - touch screen, IR based verbs, synths, plenty of weird effects (granular, bit crusher, meta modulator), loads of horsepower. Workflow is based on eurorack style modules so may seem a bit alien if you want a "traditional" guitar pedal.
Specular Tempus - compact, great sounds, does the "big" verbs really well. UI is a bit fiddly and the computer editor is a bit buggy.

I've got a few videos on the topic here.

Hey @2112 Thanks for this! Do you have the Strymon BigSky too? How would you compare it with the Poly or H9?

@Gustavo Samor I don't own a BigSky but I've borrowed one - it does what it does better than anything else in that format, but it doesn't do anything but that. The H9 or Digit will give you more flexibility, but the Bigsky will be more immediate if you just want verbs and knobs to twist - @orion32773 is using one so it might be worth picking his brain about it. The FM3 Plex Verb and cloud type reverbs scratch that itch for me though.

Back
Top Bottom