Wish Favorite modifiers

rodzimguitar68

Fractal Fanatic
Is there a way we could use a library of modifiers?

Meaning, if I like to use modifier 4 to control delay 1 wet/dry and I sometimes like the sweep to range from 0 to 75% and other times 25 - 60% that I could click on the wet/dry know, choose modifier 4 and then the save favorite which has the unique sweep range and all the rest of the parameters? It’s sort of a modifier block library, if that makes sense.

It should be possible to monitor AE's output and save the necessary SysEx commands in one file. Then open/send as needed with a utility like SendSX. This works with the Axe-FX II.

Capturing the commands requires a virtual MIDI port or separate MIDI interface. I could explain one method for Windows & SendSX if that's useful. Some Axe III users could probably also help if you post presets with the desired modifier settings.

+1000

Either this, or a block that has an attached controller could save the controller and when you loaded it, ask if you wish to overwrite the existing preset's controller.

And/or Copy-Paste in AE. Many times I want the same control (say in synth) and it's a pain to duplicate by hand.

And/or Copy-Paste in AE. Many times I want the same control (say in synth) and it's a pain to duplicate by hand.
My current methodology is to do a screenshot of (say) and ASDR setup so I can copy it to a different preset. Ugly! Of course the "golden solution" would be to have controllers be per-block. I am assuming there is something about the way it is coded and memory usage which prevents the "golden solution" from being feasible enough to warrant a wish list request.

I would love to be able to save modifier curves into a library similar to blocks and retrieve them in other modifier screens in either the same or other presets. I end up duplicating many instances of the same curve on different parameters in my presets, and quite a few presets are using more than 20 modifiers....

The modifier list under Controllers in AxeEdit would be a lot easier to manage if it sorted itself alphabetically by the text it displays, too....

don't forget that the block library also works for controllers, so if you create a nice useful adsr curve that you use a lot, you can just save it and recall it into any preset you like

!!!
I didn't "forget" - I never realized that the controllers were like a block - savable and with different channels. Thanks so much for pointing that out Simeon.

It does still suffer from the save/load a block vs save/load a channel "issue," which I feel would be much more useful. And, as Joe points out, you still can't save the Modifier pane, so it still requires some screenshotting or block save contortions...

I think this SORT OF is a great idea. I constantly find myself chasing the same few sets of esoteric modifier setting combinations: Start, Mid, End, Slope, Scale, Offset, etc.

The thing is, I would never want it to be block or parameter specific. I'd want it to remember the settings for all knobs in the modifier window EXCEPT Min/Max. Maybe the sources should even be left out.

1612996304918.png

I think this SORT OF is a great idea. I constantly find myself chasing the same few sets of esoteric modifier setting combinations: Start, Mid, End, Slope, Scale, Offset, etc.

The thing is, I would never want it to be block or parameter specific. I'd want it to remember the settings for all knobs in the modifier window EXCEPT Min/Max. Maybe the sources should even be left out.

View attachment 78364
Yes, exactly. Save only the curves. Takes a lot of work to dial in some of them. Using the same curve on multiple params at one time is very time-consuming. Being able to pull up the saved curve, assign the source(s), and poke at attack and release if needed would greatly improve workflow....

To make the UI in AxeEdit more conducive to knowing which params were being stored, I would suggest putting Attack, Release, and Off Value first on that row of knobs, and throwing a box around the 6 that get saved, the graph, and the Mod Library selector box....

Kinda like this:
1612996304918-altered-2.png

Attachments

• 1612996304918-altered.png
    1612996304918-altered.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
@Admin M@ , I agree about not copying/saving the Min/Max as those are parameter dependent and would be incompatible for different parameters. Also exclude Channel, yes?

I notice in your three examples the Start and End (see below) were varying (and also not at 0 or 100) in order to "shift" the step function left or right. This means that any control will be limited in the range of swing afforded by the modifier curve. Yes, in some cases the Mid and other shape controls can "move" the curve but many times it changes the shape as well.

1613501626350.png

Analysis:

I think this is actually limitation of the Offset parameter such that when Scale (& Slope) is at max/min, the +/-100% limit on Offset doesn't allow "sliding" the steepest curve up/down (effectively left/right) enough -- see pics 1&2 below. It affects many other curves across the board (remaining pics).

Offset at -100%
1613503704675.png
Offset at +100%
1613503729036.png

Other example curves that can't be "shifted" down more.
1613504610342.png
1613504908289.png
1613508172719.png
1613508574944.png

Possible "Fix" (new functionality):

After playing around (but not knowing the exact formulas used), I suspect Offset needs to effectively range over something like** 100x(1+Scale)% to allow translating the curve up and down to get full flexibility. However, we wouldn't want to change the behavior of Offset by default which would affect existing curves. A way to add new functionality non-destructively would be to add a new parameter Offset Scaling which would be off by default. Users could optionally turn it on to get better shaping control. It would also be part of the "Modifier Curve" saved template and/or copy/paste functionality.

[**I think this is close but not exactly right. Still investigating. Another simpler (and non-destructive) option might be widening the range to +/-1000%.]

Thoughts any and all??

Last edited:
@Admin M@ , I agree about not copying/saving the Min/Max as those are parameter dependent and would be incompatible for different parameters. Also exclude Channel, yes?

I notice in your three examples the Start and End (see below) were varying (and also not at 0 or 100) in order to "shift" the step function left or right. This means that any control will be limited in the range of swing afforded by the modifier curve. Yes, in some cases the Mid and other shape controls can "move" the curve but many times it changes the shape as well.

View attachment 78625

Analysis:

I think this is actually limitation of the Offset parameter such that when Scale (& Slope) is at max/min, the +/-100% limit on Offset doesn't allow "sliding" the steepest curve up/down (effectively left/right) enough -- see pics 1&2 below. It affects many other curves across the board (remaining pics).

Offset at -100%
View attachment 78626
Offset at +100%
View attachment 78627

Other example curves that can't be "shifted" down more.
View attachment 78628
View attachment 78631
View attachment 78632
View attachment 78634

Possible "Fix" (new functionality):

After playing around (but not knowing the exact formulas used), I suspect Offset needs to effectively range over something like** 100x(1+Scale)% to allow translating the curve up and down to get full flexibility. However, we wouldn't want to change the behavior of Offset by default which would affect existing curves. A way to add new functionality non-destructively would be to add a new parameter Offset Scaling which would be off by default. Users could optionally turn it on to get better shaping control. It would also be part of the "Modifier Curve" saved template and/or copy/paste functionality.

[**I think this is close but not exactly right. Still investigating. Another simpler (and non-destructive) option might be widening the range to +/-1000%.]

Thoughts any and all??
I like the 1000% idea.

Would kill for a 4th and 5th locator point to go along with start, middle, and end. I have been coaxing 4 'zones' out of a single pedal with some difficulty and limitations. Can't really imagine being able to do more than 5 and be able to control it, but it would allow more precise shaping of the transfer curve, IMHO to have a locator point on each side, in between middle and the ends....

Yeah, two extra interpolation points/nodes (at 1/4 and 3/4 of the x-axis) would be great.

However, if they were "absolute" as the Start, Mid, End are, they would make dialing in simple curves more difficult. Indeed to get an increasing straight line they would need to be at 25% and 75% and swapped for a decreasing line.

Off the top of my head, it might be better if they were "relative" adjustments to the existing (spline?) interpolations between Start-Mid and Mid-End. Thus for each half of the graph, the "1/4" and "3/4" adjustment range could be +/-100 up or down. I'm not sure how this would interact with Slope or Scale though.

Last edited:
Well, @Joe Bfstplk and I seemed to have hijacked the OP's wish thread. I'll add two distinct wishes for the Axe (not just AE): (a) Wider value range on Offset (e.g. 1000%) and (b) Two additional curve modifier nodes.

To summarize the Axe-Edit wish, seems like one or more of these options:
  1. Ability to save (and name) modifier curves templates in a "Modifier Library" ignoring Min/Max and Channel. If saved in individual files, this would also allow sharing of modifier shapes.
  2. Ability to copy/paste modifier curves (simpler than library)
  3. Built-in predefined template curves?
Open questions: Should Sources/Operation be included or excluded in save and/or paste or be optional?

EDIT:
@Joe Bfstplk: votes for excluding Sources.
@yyz67: I'm fine with them being excluded along with Channel and Min/Max.

Last edited:
Well, @Joe Bfstplk and I seemed to have hijacked the OP's wish thread. I'll add two distinct wishes for the Axe (not just AE): (1) Wider value range on Offset (e.g. 1000%) and (2) Two additional curve modifier nodes.

To summarize the Axe-Edit wish, seems like one or more of these options:
  1. Ability to save (and name) modifier curves templates in a "Modifier Library" ignoring Min/Max and Channel. If saved in individual files, this would also allow sharing of modifier shapes.
  2. Ability to copy/paste modifier curves (simpler than library)
  3. Built-in predefined template curves?
Open questions: Should Sources and Operation be included or excluded in save and/or paste or be optional?
Exclude source. More portable that way.

Back
Top Bottom