Favorite meat doneness

Same experience best steaks I've ever cooked at home. And they make cheaper cuts taste almost as good as the more expensive cuts.

I just recently bought my souis vide machine and it's hands down the best thing I've ever bought for home cooking. I normally try to sell everyone on them now :D
Most Americans would probably call me a heathen, but I make my steaks in a frying pan. Grill is ok, but frying them on the stove yields much better results. Usually fry all around the steak to get a nice outside, then I put it in the oven to finish cooking. Use a meat thermometer to get the desired level of doneness.

I'm married to a vegetarian so I often eat vegetarian meals as well, and for meats I try to stick lower on the carbon-footprint end of things by eating chicken and fish, mostly purchased from local farmers or fishermen that I know have good practices.

Most Americans would probably call me a heathen, but I make my steaks in a frying pan. Grill is ok, but frying them on the stove yields much better results. Usually fry all around the steak to get a nice outside, then I put it in the oven to finish cooking. Use a meat thermometer to get the desired level of doneness.
Not at all; however, if you haven't tried using a well seasoned cast iron pan, you are missing out. I often take this approach when its too cold to grill.

Medium rare for me. Has anyone ever tried sous vide cooking? It allows you to cook a steak to the exact level of doneness that you like. It also tenderized the steak while its cooking. All you have to do is throw it on the grill and sear the outside (or a cast iron pan). The best steaks I have ever cooked have been done with sous vide preparation.
I'm a big fan of sous vide cooking, although for steaks most of the time I'll just cook them on a hot (650º F or so) gas grill outside. Only takes about 3 minutes per side. I'm the only cook in our house, and my wife doesn't like like the smell of cooked meat in the house, so I can't use the cast iron skillet to sear a sous vide steak. Heck, I even have to cook bacon on the grill to keep her happy, lol.

I'm married to a vegetarian so I often eat vegetarian meals as well, and for meats I try to stick lower on the carbon-footprint end of things by eating chicken and fish, mostly purchased from local farmers or fishermen that I know have good practices.
So you didn't try Napoleon's Side stove. It's extremely hot and sears anything to perfection. The Grill itself it also top notch

Talking beef here, it's medium for me at restaurants. I find asking for medium rare often results in a more rare than I'd like cut coming up to the table.

Grilling myself I cook to temperature (around 150F)

Red meat is gross to me now. I'll eat a little chicken & fish here & there, but even that is few and far between now. I simply don't miss any of it...going on 20 years.

I remember loving it all though👍

”Pittsburg” seems to vary depending on the location; sometimes you’ll request it and get a black and blue steak, burnt on the outside and so rare on the inside it’s still blue-ish, sometimes it’s just charred and cooked to whatever temp you want (my preference) and in a few places it’s come out with a blackening season all over it.
Here in NJ, and IME, "Pittsburgh" was always a reference to a charred/blackened "well-done" steak.

I do use a cast iron, yes. Makes it really easy to transfer into the over.
Personally, I prefer Medium. "Warm pink center".

Alton Brown did one of his "Good Eats" episodes around the topic of the "perfect steak" many years ago.

Start off with good meat, lightly coated in veg oil, generous amounts of S&P on both sides.
Sear both sides in cast iron on the stove, and toss pan in 450 oven for 2-5 minutes, depending on preferred doneness.
Hit it with a pat of butter at the end.

By far the best result we've had and we've stuck to it for years.

We also have the luck of having a local butcher's shop who has proper dry-aged Prime beef, so that definitely helps.
Worth every penny.

This coming fall will be my 50th anniversary of becoming a vegetarian.
Uh, no, brain cells MIA.

I turned vegetarian in the fall of my junior year in high school.

This fall is the 50th of something else though -- me starting to meditate, fall of my freshman (and only) year of college. Going veg was three years before that, because I took a year off between 11th and 12th grades.

Short version: Not that anyone gives a hoot, but all that was a l o n g time ago, veg a long time...

medium rare but the ONLY ribs to eat are baby back and these need to be medium well. too much fat on beef ribs. Now short ribs thats another story.

Back
Top Bottom