Favorite Full Range Coaxial 12 inch driver?

I am considering putting coaxial drivers in a couple of guitar cabs with the new seymour duncan power stage 700 power amp(when it comes out).
Any suggestions for speakers? I want full range so the IR's sound detailed, but I don't necessarily want tweeters, crossovers etc.
What's your favorite?

A coaxial setup consists of 2 drivers in one speaker basket - so a passive crossover is definitely going to be required.

The common 12 inch driver for DIY would seem to be the Eminence Beta-12CX along with the Eminence ASD1001 1" HF Titanium Horn Driver screwed in the back - then the PXB2:2K5CX (2.5 kHz crossover point) seems the popular choice for a passive crossover. There's ways to further tune the crossover I think - but I'm not the one to ask about that sort of stuff.

Last edited:
Yup .... although with a max freq of 10 kHz I'd call those Celestions more 'extended' range than full range ..... but if you're high cutting your IRs at around 7500 Hz then they could do the job well enough.

I have a similar range 12 inch in my FRFR cabs - but with a tweeter too to take the range up to 16 kHz (although I can switch the tweeter out if desired). However, they do seem to sound a bit better with the tweeter engaged even with the hi cut in the Cab block.

Yes, I need that extra frequency response as I use an acoustic guitar as well. I roll the cabs off at about 7K, but need the range up to 16-20 to hear the high end of the acoustic sounds. Just looking for a twin cone that can handle it.

Seismic has an inexpensive selection of CAD's and passive networks. Depends on your budget.
A 1RU, DBX 223, active crossover can work better than a passive. Used are under 100 bux.
High order, passives can get a little pricey.

Putting any co-axial or full range speaker in a guitar cab is not necessarily going to give you a good resulting tone. It may happen by chance but there are so many factors in play here that a certain amount of research should be considered... or possibly a great deal of research.

It is something I considered myself, but the more I looked into it, the more I realised it wasn't as simple as I first thought.

Good luck though, and keep us all updated.

Back
Top Bottom