Favorite FRFR powered speaker?

Cool thanks, I see we have 3 there, I will check them out.
Probably good to note, far-field IRs can sound quite dead through studio monitors in a studio setup. This is expected, as these IRs have not captured any reflections.

The idea is to use it with an FRFR type in a live room, and add your own room reflections, as you would when listening in person to a guitar cab in a room. In my experience, it sounds immediate and fast (like a cab) vs. playing through close mic'ed IRs.

I just wish more of them were available. The ones included in the Axe-Fx really sound like cabs, but not necessarily cabs I'd prefer.

Well after much research and hemming and hawing I finally saw a really good deal on a CLR Mk II Neo on the local Craigslist in excellent condition so I scooped it up today. I got a chance to play it for a few minutes earlier. The first thing I tried it with was my keyboard and I must say I know what people are talking about with it reproducing piano well.

I had a few minutes to play guitar through it at a low volume and it didn't disappoint on a short trial. I want to try it with my acoustic next and then get into tweaking my gig presets. I'm impressed so far.

Mainly what I’ve found with piano is when you hit the low end hard the speakers I’m used to (Mackie SRM 450’s) can’t reproduce the low end clearly. The CLR is tight and clear sounding. The rest of the spectrum is really clear sounding. I know the Mackies are not state of the art at all, they are just my frame of reference. Rhodes sounds sound great through the CLR too. Also I could barely turn the volume up because it was loud.

I have no doubt there are other speakers that are good for this too. But I haven’t tried them.

FRIEDMAN ASM 12 resonates very well but if its used in front as a monitor, you have to drop the low end and boost 1k 2k in output 2 EQ .
EV Xlive monitors jas the flatest EQ shape , just flip the switch to monitor instead of main, PLUS they aim right at your face while the pedal baord is right against it.

EV Xlive monitors jas the flatest EQ shape

Are you saying the EV LiveX monitors (the $350 ones) have the flattest Eq?
If so, I'm going to have to go ahead and say - not true.
I've tried them and they're excellent for the money. But they are far from flat.

If price isn't the biggest, buy an Atomic CLR for around $1,000. I haven't tried everything, but it's by far the best sounding speaker I have tried. People also like Xitone and NCF. To me, there is a difference between my $600 Matrix and the CLR that just makes me want to play guitar more.

Hey. New to all of this modeling gear. Want to use the AX8 for small venues and testing guitars. Would like to frfr to work for acoustic playing, too — through a DI like ToneDexter. Is the CLR appropriate for both applications? Thank you!

Hey. New to all of this modeling gear. Want to use the AX8 for small venues and testing guitars. Would like to frfr to work for acoustic playing, too — through a DI like ToneDexter. Is the CLR appropriate for both applications? Thank you!
I would say yes. We used to have a forum member here who played primarily acoustic with his Axe Fx. He used 2 CLRs in stereo. Since they can be used as studio monitors, hopefully that gives you an idea?

Since getting my HeadRush FRFR over a month ago, I have used it for a gig with my AX8 instead of JBL EON610s and loved the result. I was asked to do sound for a small charity gig and needed an extra monitor for the drummer to go along with the EON610s in the front. The HeadRush was excellent doing that job. Probably true that it is a re-badged Alto TS312 but regardless a huge amount of bang for the buck for consideration for FRFR.

I would say yes. We used to have a forum member here who played primarily acoustic with his Axe Fx. He used 2 CLRs in stereo. Since they can be used as studio monitors, hopefully that gives you an idea?
Thank you. I guess it turns out it's pretty hard to come by those Atomic CLRs right now. Any experience with or knowledge of the Friedman ASM-12, as a substitute?

Thank you. I guess it turns out it's pretty hard to come by those Atomic CLRs right now. Any experience with or knowledge of the Friedman ASM-12, as a substitute?
I have not played them... By everything I have read, they are not all that flat in response and they are heavy.

You should also check out Xitone. That's what I use... You'll see a lot of love for them here.

My bandmate played a Friedman ASM-12, which sounded great. Maybe a little more aggressive and less transparent though. It weighs 57 pounds so after a couple of gigs he switched to a CLR.

Who keeps digging up these dead threads? The OP posted this in Feb, and last posted in March... let this one go;)

I think this is a totally legitimate ongoing thread. People use things for a while. They make changes to their setups and/or change their minds about what they like and don't like. New users come along that have their own opinions. Keep it coming!

I've only been in the FRFR world about 4 months and dove in deep, could not be happier.

I have 2 ASM12 and I bought the 2nd after loving the first so much.

Back
Top Bottom