Favorite foot switch setup

luthier42

ive got a friend who wants me to help him setup his AX8. He wants to have a few of the tones of his hero’s that he can easily access, but isn’t the most tech fluent guy. As I’m thinking through what he’s asking for I want to give him as much usability as I can so I was wondering...

What’s you favorite way to layout your AX8 foot switches?

I group banks of like kind presets together ie: Classic rock, Metal, song specific types etc. Within those presets I might build differently, one specific tone with the effects in stompbox fashion and the next might be by scene it really just depends on how I need things to flow.

It's a pretty personal deal. If your going to help your buddy out if might be good for you to have him present when building presets and turn it into a learning experience at the same time!

I have general guidelines - boosts, amp channels and/or scenes typically go on the front row, and fx (chorus, delay, etc) usually on the top. But it's really patch dependent, and song dependent - like if I need certain things in a song where it's easier to have them on 1-4.

I like my scenes or control switches on bottom and effects on top. There's no right or wrong. It'll be cool to see how others organize theirs and maybe I can steal an idea or two.

Switches 1-4 (or 5) are presets. 5(or 6)-8 are either scenes or on/of for other blocks (such as chorus, delay, flanger, etc.) depending on what i use for whatever preset I'm in at the time. So if your buddy wanted, for example, a Slash preset, a David Gilmour preset and a Eric Johnson preset, I'd make switches 1-3 assigned to the presets and use the other switches to change to a scene or turn blocks in the preset on or off.

I'm actually using only one preset for gigs.

I use a combination of sticky scene mode and "straight" mode. This last mode is only for a few songs and I have switchs 1 to 4 assigned to scenes and 5 to 8 assigned to single effects (amp boost, drive, and two different delays).

Works very good, for me, but my plans are using 2 presets for gigs.

I like the fact that, whenever I want to go one or two steps farther, the AX8 is ready to go with me.

I like it simple. scenes on bottom row, song specific stuff on top. all presets set up scene 1 rhythm, scene 2 clean, scene 3 lead, scene 4 special effect if needed.

I have my banks set up by favorite amps (I almost never move out of the bottom 20 presets because of that). Bottom row are the same scenes for every amp (Clean, Clean w/ Delay, Crunch, Lead w/delay), then the top row for specific effects that are by default turned off for each scene, but which I can toggle on/off as needed. Works great for me.

I set up scenes so that the first 4 switches are clean, mid gain, high gain, solo boost. This gives me instant access to any gain level I need and it is the same on every preset I have. Switch 5 is always an ambient patch for swells and such. The rest of the switches are set up on a per preset bassis.
My function switches are set to tap through one preset at a time (F3 up, F2 down) and hold to access and scroll through banks. This setup means I never have to even look down or think to know what each footswitch will do.

I have Scene 1/2 Toggle on F2, a Control Switch on FS1 (for lead tone) and effects or specific scenes (if more than 2 are needed) on the remaining Footswitches.

Back
Top Bottom