• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Favorite Drop D Songs

ScottyB

Experienced
What are the drop D tuned songs you really enjoy playing? Initially, I was looking at coming up with an entire set of all drop d tuned tunes to reduce guitar changes, so even though my favorites are all along the rock genre, I'm interested in any style, as long as it makes you move. :)

To start:
Killing in the Name
Monkey Wrench
Everlong
Hey Man, Nice Shot
Forty Six & 2

JoKeR III

Power User
+1 to anything by Pillar, although a lot of their songs are Drop C. Call To Action is one of my favorite all time riffs.
Fireproof is all drop D but yeah, Noah Henson's playing is what caused me to experiment with drop tunings. Holding On and Frontline are a couple of my favorites but are, as you say, drop C.

StuntGuitar

Damn Good. Vai w/DLR.

i arranged a shred-fest take on tchaikovsky's william tell overture in Drop D for a music appreciation class way back when. late 80s at purdue you could substitute music or computer classes for math classes and the 4th time i took the class (all 4 years, baby!) the prof told me that i didn't even have to come to a classroom or anything. she just said, "arrange a classical piece of music unlike the original. it's due the last week of the semester." The other 3 years i sat in classroom listening to music from all periods, baroque, romantic, chants, blah blah. i could, but still asked, "what if i can't read or write music?" she said, "then you fail." she gave me an A+. she never asked me to play it. or what instrument i wrote it for. i've always liked to think it still melted her face. i may have to try and pull it out of my @$_ now 40yrs later...

TravisG406

Experienced
Higher - Creed
Why Pt 2 - Collective Soul
Hanging By A Moment - Lifehouse
Meant To Live - Switchfoot
Rise Today - Alter Bridge
Fishing in the dark
Goodbye For Now - POD
My Own Prison - Creed
The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
A Praise Chorus - same

la noise

Power User
All of my guitars are in a variation of Drop tuning. Either C#, D, or C. I have learned
over time how to transpose and fudge it to play songs in a standard tuning. I realized
I can't do it the other way and go lower if I am in E or Eb. But I can go up. :)

la noise

Power User
I must be living in another world. The only titles I recognize from all mentioned so far are Run Like Hell, Fat Bottomed Girls and the EVH. And the only Drop-D I know or ever played is "Lay it down" by Rat 😅

I can remember doing like 2 drop D songs at one time. Now you could literally do
multiple sets, if not an entire show of dropped tuned songs.

Top Bottom