Favorite drive pedals for bass?

The goal is a clanky modern metal bass tone. On the FM3, I use two drive blocks in parallel, both with the darkglass, each followed by a PEQ (on cuts lows, the other the highs), a mixer, then directly to a cab block and finally a multiband compressor. The result is far more flexible than an amp block.

Hi, here is the preset. It is not supposed to sound "good" as is, but it is my starting point to dial in a bass tone. To give you some context : I use the FM3 in the studio, never live. I always dial in the bass tone after drums and guitars. So it is supposed to fit in relatively "filled" context.
The tone is essentially dialed by tweaking the drive blocks.
You get three rows (ultra hi, mids and low end) :
1 top row is the very high end with a clean DI with a filter to only let the fret noise through, it is mixed after the cab block. Less is more with this one. It's out of phase with the rest but that high it doesn't harm much. It helps cut through cymbals and guitar hi end.
2 middle row is mids : that's the heavily distorted part. It is filtered and goes into the cab
3 low end : here the drive block doesn't do much, but it is important to have it in because the drive block adds latency and shifts phase. Having a drive in each row makes them easier to mix without phase issues.

That is basically it, I don't know if it helps, but here you go

Attachments

• BASS Triple path.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 16
Not much option in FM3, but the SVT model will do for Rush style sounds. For Tool, like the intro in Schism, I was able to emulate the exact same tone using the Bassman and the studio compressor.

If you want to sound like Flea from rhcp, there is a Gallien-Krueger cab (fm3 has no GK amp yet) and try either the SVT or Bassman amp.
Here is the cab:
214 — 4x10 GeekRB D12+PZM DB

Hi, here is the preset. It is not supposed to sound "good" as is, but it is my starting point to dial in a bass tone. To give you some context : I use the FM3 in the studio, never live. I always dial in the bass tone after drums and guitars. So it is supposed to fit in relatively "filled" context.
The tone is essentially dialed by tweaking the drive blocks.
You get three rows (ultra hi, mids and low end) :
1 top row is the very high end with a clean DI with a filter to only let the fret noise through, it is mixed after the cab block. Less is more with this one. It's out of phase with the rest but that high it doesn't harm much. It helps cut through cymbals and guitar hi end.
2 middle row is mids : that's the heavily distorted part. It is filtered and goes into the cab
3 low end : here the drive block doesn't do much, but it is important to have it in because the drive block adds latency and shifts phase. Having a drive in each row makes them easier to mix without phase issues.

That is basically it, I don't know if it helps, but here you go
Finally got around to trying the preset. Really helpful, thank you again.

Ive tried all Bass plugins and Axe ones too and never found my bass tone for heavy material until I bought the Microtubes Infinity pedal.
All my different styles of muse sound really good and best of all sit in the mix way easier, anyone have similar experiences with said pedal?IMG_1711.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom