Favorite Coffee

DallasGlenn2005

Experienced
After years of trying every brand at home and many coffee shops and chains. Finally settled on my favorite. Not a big fan of stbux or other places that make it strong for strong’s sake or where the beans taste burned. I’ve also tried a lot of local shops including Blue Bottle out in San Francisco and a few other spots. I don’t go for tasting fruit notes in my coffee. I like a plain cup of neutral black coffee like the best version of a cup from an all-night diner. I found it and I brew it at home. Pictures below. Disclaimer: I have a very good burr grinder for the beans and a good coffee maker (Moccmaster by a company called Technivorm). Btw, I’m in Texas and honorable mention goes to another Austin company called Cuvée.
C342CFB3-89C6-4603-95BC-06016343227F.jpeg

The pursuit of the best cup of coffee is akin to the pursuit of tone. Just because
you have all the best gear/beans doesn't mean you will be able to recreate it tomorrow. :)

I love me some Tanzanian Peaberry. Heck, any Peaberry is good in my book. Just the most
unique and unbeatable bean there is.

Last edited:
The pursuit of the best cup of coffee is akin to the pursuit of tone. Just because
you have all the best gear/beans doesn't mean you will be able to recreate it tomorrow. :)

I love me some Tanzanian Peaberry. Heck, any Peaberry is good in my book. Just the most
unique and unbeatable bean there is.
I will add one parallel pursuit to tone and coffee. A favorite grocery store hot sauce - Texas version. May also be known as picante or salsa elsewhere. Can’t find it. Much of the good stuff isn’t cooked - it’s made fresh i a blender, and it has to be cooked to sell commercially in a jar.

Funny, my girlfriend liked that coffee, but wasn't my cup of... I use my ancient Nespresso to make shots of espresso most mornings. Starbucks Sumatra and Aniversary are good, unlike most of their other offerings.

I will add one parallel pursuit to tone and coffee. A favorite grocery store hot sauce - Texas version. May also be known as picante or salsa elsewhere. Can’t find it. Much of the good stuff isn’t cooked - it’s made fresh i a blender, and it has to be cooked to sell commercially in a jar.

Truth!

August is Hatch Chile season. :)

I start most days with Walmart French Vanilla K-Cups with enough hot cocoa mix and milk added to drown out any coffee flavor. I'll see myself out now, lol.

Truth!

Kudos for spelling "chile" correctly. :D Hatch is the best known, but there is a lot of good chile available here in NM. My wife works at a store called The Chile Addict, so I have a pretty good supply of whatever hot stuff I want.

Last edited:
Truth!

One of my top 10 favorite meals was when I was going to UT at the original Chuy’s on Barton Springs Road. On their hatch chile menu, some kind of chicken enchilada plate with hatch chiles and god knows what else to make it incredibly hot then they topped it with 2 fried eggs sunny side up. Not unlike sex, there was a fine line between pleasure and pain, and I sweated (?) buckets finishing off that plate. Worth it.

I start most days with Walmart French Vanilla K-Cups with enough hot cocoa mix and milk added to drown out any coffee flavor. I'll see myself out now, lol.

Kudos for spelling "chile" correctly. :D Hatch is the best known, but there is a lot of good available chile here in NM. My wife works at a store called The Chile Addict, so I have a pretty good supply of whatever hot stuff I want.

That may be the one thing I do right today. :)

I am in the Great :Lakes region and every summer I eagerly await the arrival of those Hatch chiles this far north. :)

For me, nothing beats a good espresso. But it's tricky to find a properly-brewed cup. The chain outlets don't cut it. Order a straight-up double shot, and taste the battery acid. It's best to find a local shop that does it right. The best cup of espresso i ever had was at May Day Cafe in Minneapolis.

For beans, i go to Dunn Bros (a chain, believe it or not). They roast their beans on site, and it's common to find beans that are only two to five days off the roaster. With other brands, you have no idea how long they've been sitting on a shelf in the warehouse.

Back
Top Bottom