Favorite amps to use pedals with ?

1poorplayer

Power User
I’ve never been a drive pedal guy , so I don’t have much experience with them.
Since we have the updated drive pedals , and the actual controls , I was looking for some advice from those of you that use them.
What amp with what pedal , and how do you set them up ?

Micro Boost into the Supro. The new drives sound really good through this amp as well tho!

I have the Supro dialled in on the edge of breakup. And the Micro Boost on a very low Drive setting, and maybe a little over half on the Level setting. It makes my dull Strat come alive and stops me from selling it! :p

Start with something clean so you get to hear what the drives are doing, Bassman or JC120 or any amp really that's running without distorting yet. The only way you can screw up stacking drives is ending up with too much high end, turning down the amp treble knob will fix that every time. I think it sounds better to slam a dark amp with a bright drive, the bright drive treble boost ends up distorting more of the high freq of the guitar, but it doesn't come out ice picks because the amp is muzzled, you can throw anything into a dark amp.

I used to have a Mesa Lonestar Classic 2X12. With the news of the drives update, as well as the free Black Shadow IR, I felt this was the best way to test the drives, using a tone I had first hand experience with.

First attempt at a preset tweak so don't expect to be amazed but hopefully will give an idea of what the drives sound like with a 'clean platform'. I'm having much more success with the drives in the Axe III than the AX8.

Started with the Edge of Breakup factory preset and added the Texas Star Clean to channel A (don't bother with the other amp channels, they're not done yet). Swapped out the cabs (I love the new cab block! My "thing" is mixing IRs) then tweaked the amp to as close as I can remember it sounding and tried the following drives:

Channel:
A - Super OD. Gain @ 6.5, Tone @ 6.0
B - Timothy 2. Gain @ 5.0, Tone @ 7.5
C - BB Pre. Gain @ 5.0, Bass @ 5.0, Treble @ 8.0
D - Tube Drive 3 knob. Gain @ 5.0, Tone @ 7.5

Attachments

• Mesa Lonestar.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
As of the latest update man there are a lot of options

The Fenders and the blues od
The Marshalls boosted with screamer sound incredible
From clean to crunch to lead
The drives work well

As of the latest update man there are a lot of options

The Fenders and the blues od
The Marshalls boosted with screamer sound incredible
From clean to crunch to lead
The drives work well

The only one I tried so far was a JCM 800 with the TS. That was great.
But - I know there are a lot of guys that are life long , drive pedal gurus.
Some guys claim the interaction between a particular amp and pedal are unparalleled.
I’ll check out the Fenders and Blues OD. Thank you.

The only one I tried so far was a JCM 800 with the TS. That was great.
But - I know there are a lot of guys that are life long , drive pedal gurus.
Some guys claim the interaction between a particular amp and pedal are unparalleled.
I’ll check out the Fenders and Blues OD. Thank you.

I tried the silver jubilee
And the Freidman BEc45
They reacted great to a few of the drives

I missed the video posted by @2112 in the new firmware thread. His
JTM45 played host to a number drives that all sounded sweet !

Leon , if you are around , did you individually tweak each of the pedals you demo’d ? Nice job.

Can I recommend the DrZ Route 66 as a great pedal platform amp for Marshallesque tones? Any pedal that's a little brighter will do really well- pushing the Route 66 with a good boost doesn't come off as a pedal at all- it sounds like a hot, chewy, angry cauldron of awesome.

Leon , if you are around , did you individually tweak each of the pedals you demo’d ? Nice job.

I probably shouldn't speak for Leon ..., but based on the blocks he sent me, I think he DID tweak each drive !

Yeah but not a great deal. They sound pretty good straight up except the Tone of kings which really needs the level and drive pushed to get cooking.

Back
Top Bottom