Favorite # Amp types

1. TwoStone
2. ODS100 Lead
3. Prince Tone
4. SuperVerb
5. Brit 800
6. Hot Kitty

more to come .....I "own" the box for approx. 2 weeks ;)

EDIT: "own" not "won" - stupid mistyping here- simple 3 signs, different meaning, hahahahaha!

Last edited:
stm - I don't know about Billmeedog, but I've gotten closer to Tool sounds with the FAS Modern than I have with the VH4. I don't know - sometimes I think the VH4 on it's own just sounds too unique (some will beg to differ). Remember that in the studio, for 10,000 Days, Mr. Jones uses a host of amps. His main tone comes from blending a Diezel VH4, Rectifier, and a very old Marshall. But he also used a Bogner Uber, Rivera Knucklehead, and many others as Baressi felt the song needed. I have had literally zero luck blending amps on the Axe-fx II though, especially on high gain stuff. Everything comes out... well... awful.

My top ten? Let's see:

High Gain:

1. FAS Modern
2. VH4
3. FAS 6160

Rock:

1. BE/HBE
2. Plexi/FAS Crunch
3. Vox TB30

Clean:

1. Shiver Clean
2. Bassman amps
3. Bogner Ecstacy

"Clean" Fender Super Verb

Hey Billmeedog I saw you are in a Tool tribute band (very impressive) the tone on the 10,000 Days album I think is hands down the BEST modern Rock Guitar tone, especially on The Pot and Rosetta Stoned. I play through a setup where I use tube power & a 4x12 cab. With the Diezel have you gotten close to those tones? If so would you mind sharing some settings?
-thanks

I hate to tell you this but I thought I remembered that Bill passed away, his posts were quite special.

Sep-17-2012, 06:10 PM #1
jimfist

Sad News...billmeedog...off to the Great Gig in the Sky.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but fellow forum member, guitarist extraordinaire, guitar teacher, all around nice guy, and very close personal friend and bandmate, billmeedog, unexpectedly passed-away over the weekend.

Thanks for the responses guys, I am saddened to hear about Bill, my sincerest sympathies goes out to anyone on here he knew & that was touched by knowing him.

Marshall JCM 800. Marshal Plexi Brown. Modded Marshall. FAS brown JTM 45, I guess I love Marshall's! I also use other ones but the Marshall's are the ones that I use the most.

Since I've owned my Axe for little over a month right now, my list doesn't go to 10. My favorites so far (in random order):

Shiver clean
USA Lead 1&2
CA 3+ lead
FAS modern
Herbie CH3

When AE 2.0 arrives I'll jump into some extended tweaking to get to know the other amps a bit more.

Let's waste time: let's make lists. Here are my current "Favorite Ten".

"Clean"
  • Vibroverb (Brownface)
    Why: more character than Mesa clean or Shiva clean, more body than Twin or Deluxe.
    Which cab: EVM, Showman, Thunderbolt, 1x10 Gold.
  • Vox AC30TB (Class-A 30W TB)
    Why: because it's a Vox. It improves with every firmware upgrade (just wait till you hear 5.0). Instead of using traditional Alnico speaker cabs, try it with greenbacks.
    Which cab (Vox-type): 1x12 Blue, 2x12 Brit, 2x12 TopBoost Blue or Silver, 4x12 Blue.
    Which cab (Greenback-type): G12M, M75, G12M25.
"Inbetween clean and crunch"
  • Budda (Buttery)
    Why: keep it low gain and you'll hear why.
    Which cab: G12M, G12M25, M75.
"Crunch"
  • Bogner Ecstasy Blue (Euro Blue)
    Why: just listen to a couple of recent recordings with this amp type. Beats Friedman BE by a little.
    Which cab: V30 (Bogner or Marshall) or try a greenback.
"Rock"

• Cameron (Cameron ch 2)
    Why: a fast grower in popularity and a favorite among the beta testers. Try adding some Depth and disabling Bright.
    Which cab: G12H30 or H75
  • Bogner Ecstasy Red (Euro Red)
    Why: woody, thick and body. It's Blue multiplied by 5.
    Which cab: V30 (Bogner or Marshall) or Uber T75V30 or H75. Or try a greenback.
"High-gain/metal"

"Lead"

• Mesa Mark IIC+
    Why: defines "liquid" recognizable lead tone. Experiment with adding boost / input trim.
    Which cab: EVM or Recto V30 or Cali.
So you can't spot no. 10? Yep, that spot isn't filled yet.

Lets waste some more time then....So What is everybody's favorites in Firmware Ver 12.03??

I'm still doing most gigs on a two-amp patch that uses the Plexi and HBE models. Plexi for clean-ish, HBE for the really heavy stuff.

I've recently built a Twin/Bogner Fish Brown channel patch that might be my new favourite combination.

That was until 12.03 was placed in my hands and I heard that new Liverpool Wrecker and the Rambler -- I'm going to have to do something with those two because...holy man are they spanking nice!

I also have a clean patch I'll use for the romantic Chris Isaak type stuff that's based around a Deluxe Reverb and only brings in gain and overdrive with pedals.

And my Trey A patch is a MkIII clean-ish tone base and pedals to augment. Was TS 808s, but I've reworked it with the awesome FAS LED drive block model.

Would be fun to make a new list. But it's just impossible, too many choices.

Varies for me, but I've always, since the Ultra days had a Plexi in my goto list. Just incredibly versatile.

Surprised no one has yet expressed love for the Swart Atomic Space Tone (Nuclear Tone). Very sweet sounding, Fendery cleans and gets nice breakup. Plus the built-in vibrato is nice for Ventures-type sounds.

I have to give another thumbs up for the Corford MK II (Cornford). This year I dipped my toe back into the rock guitar world by learning a bit of Dio-era Sabbath and the Cornford fit the bill nicely paired with my Gibson SG. One thing I learned was not to automatically max out the Master Volume. Instead, turn the MV down a notch and the tone retains its power while adding clarity and crispness.

Recently I've been hanging with the Princeton Reverb sim. Always a big fan of the Princeton Reverb. My teacher has a modded '69 PR so I get to hear it a lot and fell in love with the tone. Nice to have a sim in the AxeFX II.

Back
Top Bottom