Favorite amp models and IRs for bass?

Kurt L

Inspired
I've only had my Axe-Fx III for three days but decided it was time to create a few bass presets. I got a nice tone going using "SV Bass 1" and "4x10 SV Bass HE 88 A," which I selected pretty much at random. (! assume those are models from an Ampeg SVT?)

I realize random picks are not a sustainable model for success so I thought I'd ask the more experienced members (pretty much everyone) for their favorite amp models and IRs for bass. (I've got a Rick 4003 and an 80s Peavey Dyna-Bass that I really like.)

I have not downloaded anything from the AXE-CHANGE yet but I assume there are some goodies there as well.

Whatcha got?

IME, I recommend making your own presets that suit your tastes and instruments. That's half the fun of the Axe. Still, a short list is certainly helpful.

Along with the SV, the USA Bass And the Porta-Bass are accurate and particularly outstanding. The FAS Bass model is really useful for working up a neutral and versatile showcase for the wood of a particular instrument, or for keeping the character when amping an acoustic bass. I could easily live with just these, and mostly I do. The Bassguy can really shine, too, as you can keep the gain at a low level where the low end won't flub out very much (I want some with a Bassman) and use the channel level to get all the volume you need. You aren't contrained to real amps and their speakers here, either, so combining a guitar amp with a solid low end like a Hiwatt or some of the high gain amps along with a bass IR can give some nice results.

The factory IRs are great, There aren't a lot for bass, (use the search in AxeEdit) but so far, I've always been able to find at least one that does really well for any particular tone. I also quite like Celestion's Pulse IRs which I got to match a physical cab, and those have a nice clarity to them.

Last edited:
I ran IR captures of all the bass cabs in the Darkglass Element. My main patch has two amp blocks running in parallel. Both use the Mesa bass amp model. One has Drive in from of it, and runs into a Darkglass 4x12. The other channel is clean with Comp after the amp and runs into Darkglass 8x10 cab. This gives me a nice top end grind with great low end clarity.

I've been switching between the SVT and Mesa Bass 400 with a mix of 4x10 and x15 IRs.

Best thing I've found for bass tones for any amp model though has been the Output Compression control. It makes everything better.

Don't underestimate ANY amp for bass. Fractal users are spoiled by so many possibilities because we don't have to worry about the limitations of real world amps/cabs. Before I captured the Darkglass 4x12, I used a standard guitar 4x12 for the dirty bass channel. Try that in the reality and you'd blow out the speakers.

Last night I ran a 100W Plexi through a 4" Pignose speaker... virtually, of course!!!

Back
Top Bottom