Jarrett, Peacock & DeJohnette -- Standards Vol. 2
Jarrett, Peacock & DeJohnette -- Standards Live
Pat Metheny Group -- Offramp (the second side of the LP)
Bill Frisell -- Rambler
Terje Rypdal / Miroslav Vitous / Jack DeJohnette (actually made 1979 but i bought it in 1980)
Kenny Wheeler -- Double, Double You
Sonny Sharrock (Pharoah Sanders, Elvin Jones, Charnett Moffett) -- Ask the Ages
Last Exit -- Köln

There were many more of course that could be on the list. But I didn't really listen to tracks, more to albums. Of course I know this wasn't the intended music for the thread, but have allways wanted to wreck a 80s thread :devilish:

Ahh forgot about Steely Dan - Gaucho

It almost pains me to pick just seven songs. This list is subject to change based on time of day, current mood, phase of the moon, etc., etc. So...in no particular order:

• Duran Duran - Rio
  • Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down Again
  • The Cure - Pictures of You
  • Queen - Under Pressure
  • Wang Chung - Dance Hall Days
  • The Fixx - All About You
  • The Dream Academy - Life in Northern Town

Yea, it feels so wrong to pick seven like that...I didn't even get to anything heavily guitar-oriented!

Jarrett, Peacock & DeJohnette -- Standards Vol. 2
Jarrett, Peacock & DeJohnette -- Standards Live
Pat Metheny Group -- Offramp (the second side of the LP)
Bill Frisell -- Rambler
Terje Rypdal / Miroslav Vitous / Jack DeJohnette (actually made 1979 but i bought it in 1980)
Kenny Wheeler -- Double, Double You
Sonny Sharrock (Pharoah Sanders, Elvin Jones, Charnett Moffett) -- Ask the Ages
Last Exit -- Köln

There were many more of course that could be on the list. But I didn't really listen to tracks, more to albums. Of course I know this wasn't the intended music for the thread, but have allways wanted to wreck a 80s thread :devilish:

Ahh forgot about Steely Dan - Gaucho

I loved that you did that. I'm more of an album person, too. Love Ask the Ages. Got to hear Pharoah Sanders live recently (killed it) and Charnett Moffit a few years ago (made acoustic bass seems as easy to play as nylon string guitar...ridiculous technique - with McCoy Tyner, James Carter, Eric Gravatt and Ravi Coltrane at a John Coltrane tribute at the NO Jazzfest) Having grown up in the 70s, I was mostly hiding out from the 80s. I absolutely hated the majority of what was popular at the time.

I'll throw out a few whole albums:

Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense"
Defunkt "Thermonuclear Sweat"
Bill Frisell "Lookout for Hope"
Buddy Guy "Stone Crazy"
Bobby Previte "Claude's Late Morning"
David Murray "Ming"
Snooks Eaglin "Out of Nowhere"

Now I just realized I did like some popish things in the 80s:

Lou Reed "New Sensations"
King Crimson "Discipline"
Prince "Sign 'O' the Times"
Suzanne Vega - self-titled and "Solitude Standing"
King Sunny Ade "Juju Music"
Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms"
Laurie Anderson "Big Science"
Richard Thompson "Across a Crowded Room"
Los Lobos "How Will the Wolf Survive"

Special Category:
Bootleg of Weather Report from July 81 in Boston that I got off the net...amazing audience recording lovingly remastered...I was at that show and they completely blew my mind. It's crazy to think of Jaco, Joe Zawinul and Wayne Shorter in one band, plus a succession of amazing drummers and percussionist.

These are off the top of my head but I openly admit I loved the 80's. Blonde highlights and tight jeans seem such a long time ago. Especially as I now have a bald head and an ever growing “equator” :)

1: Ultravox – Vienna
2:Level 42 – Lessons In Love
3:INXS – Never Tear Us Apart
4:It Bites – Sister Sarah
5:Go West – We Close Our Eyes
6:Duran Duran – Notorius
7:David Bowie – China Girl

My favorite song of the 80s and perhaps my favorite song of all time... is nothing like most of the music I listen to- I think its EPIC and most of you have NEVER heard it

"Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young"
By Fire Inc

(written by Jim Steinman- for the soundtrack of Streets of Fire - a movie I've never seen)

Not all songs ... but 7 'things' that immediately come to mind for various reasons:

Jump - VH
I want to break free - Queen
Every breath you take - The Police
So (whole album) - Peter Gabriel
Live Aid
Tight denim and white booted 'rock chicks'
Lots of curls on top - none below :surprise:

I'm a big Fixx fan - but don't know about this one. Where's it from?

I'm kind of pushing the "80's" boundary -- it was recorded just before the Ink sessions -- so late 89, possibly early 90. And as far as I know it never made it on to any album. I read that it may have appeared on the cassette version of Missing Links, but it sure isn't on the CD version. I got a copy of it via a singer in a band I used to play in. We used to cover it.

I'll post it later tonight. If you like The Fixx, you'll love this track.

Remember when b-sides and rare tracks were hard to find and uncovering them was like winning the music lottery? That was definitely an 80's thing I remember and loved. It dissipated in the 90's and has since disappeared.

Edit: THE TRACK!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/870088/01 All About You.mp3

Last edited:
albums...

Donal Fagen - Nightfly
Fee Waybill - Read my lips
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
AC/DC - Back in Black
Foreigner - 4
Toto - IV
Joe Satriani - Surfing with an alien

Back