Favorite ‘big clean’ amp?

Fender twin ‘57 is alway King Clean, but one I have found and is often over looked is the balls to the walls Marshall JTM 45. Yeah, I know.....Mr crunch, but dial it back ...way back, and I get some of the nicest cleans I have ever heard. Beautiful!

..one I have found and is often over looked is the balls to the walls Marshall JTM 45. Yeah, I know.....Mr crunch, but dial it back ...way back, and I get some of the nicest cleans I have ever heard. Beautiful!
The real JTM45 is like that, too. Big round, chimey, punchy cleans. It works well for rockabilly and a lot of other stuff.

I don't think you can get a big clean sound sound without effects. Also I think there is an underlying tone there that will only be achievable with a driven tube sitting in front of you ( I don't know music terminology well, but I would say sustain and finger/pick attack presence/response are lacking in modelers )

That being said, I am struggling finding a good clean tone as well with the III. I am not a tweaker and solely rely on axe-exhange for all of my presets.

I've bookmarked this thread hoping your request for clips gets some responses so I can learn as well.

My favorite BIG CLEAN preset from axe-exchange p006529. It includes compression, delay, reverb. I can't find the thread where it was shared, but I think it was some guy that filmed himself in front of a bunch of Dumble amps and might even use a Dumble IR.

I made a clip of this preset, I also made a clip of just the amp( (how the default loads on Deluxe Verb Vibrato) and to me it doesn't sound good at all.

I don't think you can get a big clean sound sound without effects.Also I think there is an underlying tone there that will only be achievable with a driven tube sitting in front of you ( I don't know music terminology well, but I would say sustain and finger/pick attack presence/response are lacking in modelers )

I disagree completely. The Axe Fx models the whole amplifier at the component level... It does clean and mid-gain tones fantastically.

The models respond and sound like a real tube amp.

Also, all tones are subjective... Note that some of the "best" big clean tones were created using a Roland JC-120, which has nary a tube in sight. ;)

I don't think you can get a big clean sound sound without effects. Also I think there is an underlying tone there that will only be achievable with a driven tube sitting in front of you ( I don't know music terminology well, but I would say sustain and finger/pick attack presence/response are lacking in modelers )

That being said, I am struggling finding a good clean tone as well with the III. I am not a tweaker and solely rely on axe-exhange for all of my presets.

I've bookmarked this thread hoping your request for clips gets some responses so I can learn as well.

My favorite BIG CLEAN preset from axe-exchange p006529. It includes compression, delay, reverb. I can't find the thread where it was shared, but I think it was some guy that filmed himself in front of a bunch of Dumble amps and might even use a Dumble IR.

I made a clip of this preset, I also made a clip of just the amp( (how the default loads on Deluxe Verb Vibrato) and to me it doesn't sound good at all.

IMO, you will never be happy relying solely on AxeChange ...the real joy is in crafting your own sounds and using your ears to experiment. Virtually any sound of any dynamic you can imagine can be made once you really understand how to manipulate gain stages and levels
On the III........
Or , as many users have discovered...the @austinbuddy Naked Amp pack will give you the best basis to learn and craft your own presets.

JTM 45 has killer clean sound with single coils if you dial the gain in right.

The Black Face Fender Twin can do it too, tons of bass, just cut the mids a little...

Many amps can be made to sound clean and big, if you are not afraid to experiment with very low input gain and higher Level ..the Hooks and Lonestar (Tx star) do that very well

...I think there is an underlying tone there that will only be achievable with a driven tube sitting in front of you ( I don't know music terminology well, but I would say sustain and finger/pick attack presence/response are lacking in modelers )

Here's why you think that:

I am not a tweaker and solely rely on axe-exhange for all of my presets.

:)

Many amps can be made to sound clean and big, if you are not afraid to experiment with very low input gain and higher Level ..the Hooks and Lonestar (Tx star) do that very well
My primary 2 presets are based on the Hook and Cameron CCV models dialed in clean.

Have you tried the Hiwatts? I'm not sure if it's the matching cabs or the amp but to me it has sort of a loud amplified yet clean tone. Without much distortion the other cues become more important like EQ. balance and acoustic environment so more care needs to be taken there. Chorus? (Roland went a long way with their ultra clean amps with chorus.)

I think it depends on the situation. If you are recording, you may want to try re-amping clean amp Axe FX through a real cab in a studio (or garage) and capture a real sound stage. Otherwise, have you tried using or mixing in distant mic IRs? They soften the tone but they also add some of that dimension that live cabs in room do. One of the reasons that classic guitar clips on u toob sound so good has to be the environment and location of AV mic in that environment. One of the coolest tones I have recorded came from putting a 1/4 inch plywood sheet ~3ft in front of a 1x12" mesa cab at a 45deg angle and putting the mic beside the cab (or over top) pointing the mic at the center of the sheet.

JTM 45 has killer clean sound with single coils if you dial the gain in right.
I believe it would also be worth mentioning the Dirty Shirley, that is if you like the JTM.

I really like the Brown Super (6G4) such a sweet musical easy to dial in amp, and seems to have a pretty broad range of being able to dial in the coveted edge of breakup. And we have IR’s for it (Factory 1 811-834)

Back
Top Bottom