Fatigue with the "I am hitting the CPU limits" on the FM3 talk???

I bought the FM 3 to get a foot in the Fractal family. For years I used Boss and Roland Floorboards and was mostly satisficed. I would see the demos of fractal products and be impressed so I got the FM3.

For what I do the FM3 CPU limits don't bother me, you don't need much for Rock and roll just good amp tone with wah, over drive and delay. I was so happy with my new tone it was almost like playing through My Big Marshall DSL head and 4X12. I was so impressed that I bought an Axe Fx III and I still don't need all that CPU but it is nice to have. The FM3 is nothing to complain about it is what it is supposed to be and the features are great. There is not a thing out there that dose what it can in that price point. Every Device out there has it's haters and for those guys I say you will never find that tonal nirvana because real tone is in the hands.

I bought the FM 3 to get a foot in the Fractal family. For years I used Boss and Roland Floorboards and was mostly satisficed. I would see the demos of fractal products and be impressed so I got the FM3.

For what I do the FM3 CPU limits don't bother me, you don't need much for Rock and roll just good amp tone with wah, over drive and delay. I was so happy with my new tone it was almost like playing through My Big Marshall DSL head and 4X12. I was so impressed that I bought an Axe Fx III and I still don't need all that CPU but it is nice to have. The FM3 is nothing to complain about it is what it is supposed to be and the features are great. There is not a thing out there that dose what it can in that price point. Every Device out there has it's haters and for those guys I say you will never find that tonal nirvana because real tone is in the hands.

My understanding is the relationship between knowing how to apply the knowledge we gain, and making practical use of it. It's more than simply pushing buttons. It's much, much, more.

Only that?

About six weeks in, I'm already convinced I should have waited to get the $ together for an FXIII; but it's b/c I always ran two tube amps in stereo. I really love how two separate preamps give you better crunch (but with less gain), which really improves note clarity and definition (sometimes too much). You also can spice up clean tones by putting two great cleans together or giving one a slight bit of breakup.

I can't do that now and I'm not going to complain.

Instead I'm saving money. Some lucky individual will get my new FM3 at a good price and I'll be in multi-amp heaven. Someday.

@sprint Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely give the enhancer block a try, as I have never actually looked at it before. VVVV

Dude.... you are ripe for a dual FM3 setup. You get two loopers and 6 footswitches at no extra cost. ;)

Last night was all kinds of AC30 and Plexi 100w fun.

I am really going to hype the feasibility of this approach----even if I half-drunkenly stumbled into it
accidentally myself.

D'oh!

Thankfully, there's a method/system to using all those buttons.... ;)

As an avid fan of Worcestershire sauce, I take offense to this statement.... :D

That's some good stuff there. I agree. I tend to use it more on that less tasteful, flightless bird with
feathers than say a joyous Rib Eye. :)_

Understood regards the stirring the pot/have fun part. Standing at my range top with my apron bouncing my hip while stirring really isn't me in my kitchen. Working at my desktop and FM3 is a whole 'nuther ballgame.

You are clearly more thoughtful and dedicated than I am. :)

Time to check the pot on the stove!

It seems like the AX8 could handle more, and FM3 cpu usage goes up with each firmware. I don’t think that is what most people are expecting. They will continue to come here and express their surprise.

It seems like the AX8 could handle more, and FM3 cpu usage goes up with each firmware. I don’t think that is what most people are expecting. They will continue to come here and express their surprise.
For clarification, there are several options available for effects blocks that can minimize your CPU usage, you just need to know where to look...Leon Todd/Cooper Carter/etc...the recognized issue is "putting too much" into the signal path.

A wise person once told me, "Never overcook a good piece of meat. If you do, you'll not be able to bring it back from being overcooked. Better to cook it at a lower heat so it's nice and tender."

Same goes with putting too much into the signal path. If you overdo it, your CPU meter will warn you. You'll learn quickly this way, but the results won't be something you can enjoy.

My current preset runs in the low 80s for CPU percentage. It says Warning but hasn’t caused any issues yet or muted my preset. On other presets where my CPU has gotten too high, no sound is made at all. If my preset has been working without issues can I expect it to continue to work without issues? Or have users had unpredictable experiences with the CPU warning present?

There's only two possible ways this should outcome: Either they learn to live with it and embrace the FM3 for what it is or they realize the FM3 just don't meet their needs and move to another device, be it the Axe-Fx or an unit from another company.

It's that simple, I mean, FAS has been very especific on what's the power of the FM3 vs the Axe-FX III and also really clear on pointing that the FM3 is not an Axe in floor format... You take it or leave it.

My current preset runs in the low 80s for CPU percentage. It says Warning but hasn’t caused any issues yet or muted my preset. On other presets where my CPU has gotten too high, no sound is made at all. If my preset has been working without issues can I expect it to continue to work without issues? Or have users had unpredictable experiences with the CPU warning present?

Low 80%'s is still up there in CPU usage. If no sound is being generated, that's a strong indicator your CPU usage is too high. The only viable solutions I've seen is to reduce the number of your effects blocks, or find alternate ways of lowering your CPU usage with different effects blocks that don't require as much CPU.

It's comparatively simple. It's mostly input and output. Too much input overworks the system. Better output is possible when you don't force feed the system too much.

Low 80%'s is still up there in CPU usage. If no sound is being generated, that's a strong indicator your CPU usage is too high. The only viable solutions I've seen is to reduce the number of your effects blocks, or find alternate ways of lowering your CPU usage with different effects blocks that don't require as much CPU.

It's comparatively simple. It's mostly input and output. Too much input overworks the system. Better output is possible when you don't force feed the system too much.
Hence why I said I haven’t had any issues yet but I’m asking because I have played presets where the CPU usage was a bit higher and it would cut in and out

Hence why I said I haven’t had any issues yet but I’m asking because I have played presets where the CPU usage was a bit higher and it would cut in and out
That might be the case for some presets. My preference is to observe and copy what qualities of presets are best suited for the application, and adjust these in hopes that the minor adjustments will help save CPU usage.

If I can find an alternate effects block, or remove effects blocks I'd not need for the song, that will help save CPU usage. It gets a bit hairy when you go deep and need to rethink how to save CPU use. One learns better when they can see the problem and know what/how to correct it.

That might be the case for some presets. My preference is to observe and copy what qualities of presets are best suited for the application, and adjust these in hopes that the minor adjustments will help save CPU usage.

If I can find an alternate effects block, or remove effects blocks I'd not need for the song, that will help save CPU usage. It gets a bit hairy when you go deep and need to rethink how to save CPU use. One learns better when they can see the problem and know what/how to correct it.
it actually floats between 79 and 82 and I havent had any issues so I should be fine with it

I am on the edge right about 80% or so. I would like to add a chorus but that puts me in the red. I should get rid of the reverb block as I mostly use the FM3 for gigging and dont typically need a reverb live. But it makes it sound so much better when I am noodling at home.

I am on the edge right about 80% or so. I would like to add a chorus but that puts me in the red. I should get rid of the reverb block as I mostly use the FM3 for gigging and dont typically need a reverb live. But it makes it sound so much better when I am noodling at home.
Reducing quality and resolution parameters on reverb saves loads of cpu - a reverb at hq/density8 in Axe3 takes 11% cpu - reducing it to economy/4 density takes 4-5% cpu. At 8% where I run reverb, and with my tinnitus, I can't hear a difference.

Back
Top Bottom