Fatigue with the "I am hitting the CPU limits" on the FM3 talk???

I am on the edge right about 80% or so. I would like to add a chorus but that puts me in the red. I should get rid of the reverb block as I mostly use the FM3 for gigging and dont typically need a reverb live. But it makes it sound so much better when I am noodling at home.
If you've got reverb, delay and chorus, try using a Plex Reverb/Delay or MultiDelay. The Plex can reduce your CPU usage significantly. I've not looked into the MultiDelay myself, but there are advantages.

If you've got reverb, delay and chorus, try using a Plex Reverb/Delay or MultiDelay. The Plex can reduce your CPU usage significantly. I've not looked into the MultiDelay myself, but there are advantages.

The MultiDelay can do a multitude of things.

With some feedback on the delays and really short delay times, you get something reverbish.

You can modulate short delays and get something chorusish.

Combine the two and you get a timey-wimey wibble-wobble of modulated reverbish.

Shorten the delay times enough and you get into flanger-ish sounds.

I use it along with an 8-voice analog chorus and the quad detune to get 16 voice chorusing. Smoooooove.... ;)

Not exactly cheap on CPU percentage, but it is super lush....

The MultiDelay can do a multitude of things.

With some feedback on the delays and really short delay times, you get something reverbish.

You can modulate short delays and get something chorusish.

Combine the two and you get a timey-wimey wibble-wobble of modulated reverbish.

Shorten the delay times enough and you get into flanger-ish sounds.

I use it along with an 8-voice analog chorus and the quad detune to get 16 voice chorusing. Smoooooove.... ;)

Not exactly cheap on CPU percentage, but it is super lush....
If it curtails the use of 3 effects blocks at the expense of 1, does that save CPU usage?

If it curtails the use of 3 effects blocks at the expense of 1, does that save CPU usage?
Yes. You can get all the things I mentioned out of it. :)

My usual use case for it, however, is part of a CPU-wasting 4-block combination to get 16 voices of chorusing happening. :p

Yes. You can get all the things I mentioned out of it. :)

My usual use case for it, however, is part of a CPU-wasting 4-block combination to get 16 voices of chorusing happening. :p
Yeah, that might be a bit much. If this were a shindig where refreshments were served, I'd suggest to stick to the fresh fruit and cheese platter. It's healthier. Thanks for letting me pop in. I've got things to do Thursday (like my job) and can't stay. Quick cuppa tea and an English muffin/butter/jam, and I'm off. Tomorrow is a morning at the greasy spoon (kitchen), some coffee, and the newspaper.

Ok..... I have a question about CPU and a change in the sound when eliminating blocks (delete!!).
I snagged a particularly Factory preset by a known "artist" and I thought it sounded weak and thin.
It was hovering in the 79-82% range. It looked hastily thrown together with some convoluted
routing and parallel paths. I eliminated those. Ther CPU dropped into the 69-72 range and the tone
came alive.

Now, am I crazy? Should it be that drastic of a difference in sound by eliminating some blocks and
dropping the CPU down? Just sounds fuller and cleaner and with more Oooooomph! now that I
cleaned the preset up to my liking.

Ok..... I have a question about CPU and a change in the sound when eliminating blocks (delete!!).
I snagged a particularly Factory preset by a known "artist" and I thought it sounded weak and thin.
It was hovering in the 79-82% range. It looked hastily thrown together with some convoluted
routing and parallel paths. I eliminated those. Ther CPU dropped into the 69-72 range and the tone
came alive.

Now, am I crazy? Should it be that drastic of a difference in sound by eliminating some blocks and
dropping the CPU down? Just sounds fuller and cleaner and with more Oooooomph! now that I
cleaned the preset up to my liking.
There is no way that changing the CPU load will change the sound, if you had a preset with confusing routing - I suspect something else changed, and maybe you adjusted phasing or levels in some way which worked for you.

But CPU usage on it's own can't change the tone

Yeah, definitely weird. I swear some odd clipping disappeared the instant I hit "delete Block."
It was likely because the input gain or level of the suspect block when deleted cleaned up the signal path. Sometimes the easy part isn't knowing the "what caused this?", it's the "results from making the adjustments" and "using your ears" that produced better results.

So what limitations are you guys seeing? For me, a normal studio preset would be a whammy, wah, drive, amp, 2 modulation (phase, flange, chorus or trem) Delay, Cab.

Live I like basically the same but I would want all 4 of the modulation fx to be available to me though it would be rare to use more than 2 at one time. I would likely control it with a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro.

So what limitations are you guys seeing? For me, a normal studio preset would be a whammy, wah, drive, amp, 2 modulation (phase, flange, chorus or trem) Delay, Cab.

Live I like basically the same but I would want all 4 of the modulation fx to be available to me though it would be rare to use more than 2 at one time. I would likely control it with a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro.
I have presets like that on my FM3. Leaving out the Reverb gives you like an extra 20+% and some of the modulators like trem are pretty low CPU.

Well thats good, it would mostly be used in the studio but I would like to know that I could use it live. Of course I could maybe talk myself into spending $500 more and get the FM9.

The FM9 looks nice but I’m pretty happy with the FM3 for its portability, I can toss it in my backpack with a bunch of other gear and walk to the jam space with my guitar. The extra switches and DSP are nice but not crucial for my use

The FM9 looks nice but I’m pretty happy with the FM3 for its portability, I can toss it in my backpack with a bunch of other gear and walk to the jam space with my guitar. The extra switches and DSP are nice but not crucial for my use
Do you record with it also? If so how does the reamping process look for you?

I don't usually use reamping, but when I record with the FM3 I'm using it via USB so the reamping is an option via the USB interface. Just record the DI track from Input 3 and then send it to computer Output 3 later if you need to reamp.

Back
Top Bottom