Fatigue with the "I am hitting the CPU limits" on the FM3 talk???

It’s Fractals fault really....

Mai many people said they simple want the power of an Axe III, but in the form factor of the FM3, oh, and they don’t want to pay any more than a FM3 for it either.....

so basically we just need a axe III floor editor and if they could sell it for say $899, it would be really appreciated lol

Nope, I'd pay more for an FC-12 with an AxeFXIII built in. Just want it all in one unit.
I simply do not want a Rack Unit with a Rack Stand.
I want the better Capo Block too.

Here is my Solve Currently HXFX instead of FC6
Gives me the Poly Capo, running a mix of Scenes & MidiCC Stomps. FM3 usually on 2 Drive Stomos & Tuner.
Congrats, continue to be an apologist, Dismiss the need & sell less FC6s & FC12s.
FM3nHXFXb.jpgFM3nHXFXa.jpg

Just want it all in one unit.
Only that?

About six weeks in, I'm already convinced I should have waited to get the $ together for an FXIII; but it's b/c I always ran two tube amps in stereo. I really love how two separate preamps give you better crunch (but with less gain), which really improves note clarity and definition (sometimes too much). You also can spice up clean tones by putting two great cleans together or giving one a slight bit of breakup.

I can't do that now and I'm not going to complain.

Instead I'm saving money. Some lucky individual will get my new FM3 at a good price and I'll be in multi-amp heaven. Someday.

@sprint Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely give the enhancer block a try, as I have never actually looked at it before. VVVV

Last edited:
I really love how two separate preamps give you better crunch (but with less gain), which really improves note clarity
Enhancer block (classic, wide) after a single amp block gets in the ball park of dual amps. I stopped
using dual amps in favour of 1 amp + sometimes enhancer with less tweaking / more
guitar playing - I find with cygnus, I don't feel as much desire for dual amps to provide extra
thickness.

Enhancer block (classic, wide) after a single amp block gets in the ball park of dual amps. I stopped
using dual amps in favour of 1 amp + sometimes enhancer with less tweaking / more
guitar playing - I find with cygnus, I don't feel as much desire for dual amps to provide extra
thickness.
In my AxeFx3, I use the dual amp blocks more for seamless, zero-gap switching than anything else....

The CPU limit complaints are almost as annoying as the footswitch count complaints. Also, the constant "is the modelling really good enough?" questions from lazy customers is annoying, too.
No button count complaints from me.
I have enough buttons.
0718212309a_HDR.jpg

You can, too!

* Pilot's license not required, but strongly recommended.

My 2¢. If at all possible, try to be helpful and direct the person with the CPU issue to several video links (Leon Todd) or paid-for courses (Cooper Carter) that teach people how to save on CPU usage, rather than develop an attitude that would not contribute to the welcoming mindset of this forum.

My feeling is that if folks are gonna protest about stuff, businesses will only make them pay more for their right to complain. Customer service is typically offered to folks who might need help with stuff, but realize folks who haggle or complain about their purchases are only driving up the cost of doing business. Think of the companies who charge for customer service.

This mindset of "pay to play" is competitive and wastes your hard-earned money, that is, unless you work for a living and receive a paycheck. Why not be helpful and teach the next guy how he can solve his problem, instead of complaining they don't know how?

We were all inexperienced once, and needed help from more experienced people to do what we needed. We still learn new stuff each day. If we didn't, we could easily pack it in and call it quits. Folks who don't know, ask questions. Folks who do know, should teach.

We are both students and teachers, and we will continue to learn until the knowledge of the entire universe is available. Sounds far-fetched, I'm sure. Imagine knowing as much as all of the great minds of the past, and those who will yet live. We still have a lot to learn.

My 2¢. If at all possible, try to be helpful and direct the person with the CPU issue to several video links (Leon Todd) or paid-for courses (Cooper Carter) that teach people how to save on CPU usage, rather than develop an attitude that would not contribute to the welcoming mindset of this forum.

My feeling is that if folks are gonna protest about stuff, businesses will only make them pay more for their right to complain. Customer service is typically offered to folks who might need help with stuff, but realize folks who haggle or complain about their purchases are only driving up the cost of doing business. Think of the companies who charge for customer service.

This mindset of "pay to play" is competitive and wastes your hard-earned money, that is, unless you work for a living and receive a paycheck. Why not be helpful and teach the next guy how he can solve his problem, instead of complaining they don't know how?

We were all inexperienced once, and needed help from more experienced people to do what we needed. We still learn new stuff each day. If we didn't, we could easily pack it in and call it quits. Folks who don't know, ask questions. Folks who do know, should teach.

We are both students and teachers, and we will continue to learn until the knowledge of the entire universe is available. Sounds far-fetched, I'm sure. Imagine knowing as much as all of the great minds of the past, and those who will yet live. We still have a lot to learn.

Good points for sure. I do feel a couple of folks who have replied missed out
on comprehending the last sentence in my post. :)

Easy to say when you have two. Yes, it gets redundant but what was more frustrating to me was seeing users complaining about running out of CPU with the Axe III when it was released. It doesn't matter what the capability of a device is, there will always be those who HAVE to push the limit, then complain about it as a shortcoming. Enough is never enough.

For sure. I wonder how much of it is human nature---that "enough is never enough" thing you mention.

Oh, and I could easily get by with one FM3. :)

I remember when the Boss CE-1 came out, and I got one, and shortly after that, it was always on. Did the same thing with the stereo BBE Sonic Maximizer. Was guilty of doing that with several effects. Then one day, I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I only had an amp to plug into, and it was like, wow. Where has this sound been? Then I realized I was trying to put all the spices in the dish, because they were in my spice rack, so to speak. It was all too much, and my tone had no variety. I started backing off, and using effects more sparingly after that, and people noticed my tones actually improving.
Now that I have an Axe Fx III, I try to remember that, and pick effects in a way that compliment the various parts of the song.

Excellent reminder! :)

Not unlike a great cut of meat that can be ruined with anything more than just a touch of salt and pepper
and some high heat.

My apologies to any vegans on the forum. :)

Last edited:
I agree with this, I switched down from a III to the FM3 - and this was one of the drivers, with the III - every preset I made had every possible effect, which truth be told I just didn't need/use.

With the FM3, I think more about what I really need and have better, more focussed presets as a result

I don't mind it, I actually kinda like the challenge to work in every effect I want without exceeding the CPU limit. Work with what you have. It forces me to optimize my presets, consciously think about what I need it to do and cut the fat so to speak. Well, within the current 80% limit that is, so I guess my presets can be on the flabby side. :D I don't need a Chorus running at 5% mix level, but give me the option and I will. I don't need Reverb echo density at 8, but if I can, why not? Usually certain blocks or settings are in my presets out of convenience/laziness too, because I'm copy-pasting most of my own presets to use for different songs, sometimes only adjusting the BPM value. Then when adding things on or exchanging blocks, things can get out of hand so the challenge reappears.

I'm coming from the AxeFX 2, and was running my presets at the limit on that unit too, with 2 amp blocks and 2 reverbs for example, simply because it would let me and that seemed the best way of designing my presets. Now I'm getting the same (well, actually better) sounds and effects from the FM3 having optimized those to fit within the current CPU limit (thanks Channels feature and Plex Delay!). There are enough possibilities to optimize CPU usage whenever I run into that limit without really sacrificing sound quality. Without seeing the value on screen, I don't think I can hear a difference in reverb echo density of 6 vs 8, or a 5% Chorus mix, while that difference may keep the CPU in check and also allow me to run a preset with wah, tremolo, drive, phaser, delay and plex delay added in.

If you're aiming for the ultimate sound quality of studio reverbs and ultrares cabs with a kitchen sink of effects, then there's the AxeFX 3. Which is tempting sometimes, but I enjoy the compactness of the FM3+FC6 combination a lot as well.

Wow. I had no idea there were folks like you guys who simplified and moved from the III to the FM3.

looks to me you have room for a few more! ;)
Yes. At least two more, without having to run extra cables back to the switch jack(s) on the back of theAxeFX3.

However, I've run out of things to use them for, though, so the likelihood is that the current config will stay pretty stable while improvements on how I utilize them are thought of and implemented.... :)

Wow. I had no idea there were folks like you guys who simplified and moved from the III to the FM3.
Well I can't speak for others, but the best thing I did.

Initially I ran with an external reverb to gain more CPU, but tbh since 4.0 and I switched to stereo - I run all inside the box

Once in a while I think about getting a III again, but I love the smaller footprint and also the only real reason would be to run two amps - which isn't for me

Good points for sure. I do feel a couple of folks who have replied missed out
on comprehending the last sentence in my post. :)

Understood regards the stirring the pot/have fun part. Standing at my range top with my apron bouncing my hip while stirring really isn't me in my kitchen. Working at my desktop and FM3 is a whole 'nuther ballgame.

Back
Top Bottom