FAT Switch is totally different than Axe-Fx ll

darrenw5094

Certified Bug Hunter
Just got my AXE lll today. Straight away, I noticed that the FAT switch is different than in AXE ll. It adds a completely different EQ shift, as in a much brighter tone. The FAT switch used to add more depth and gain on the AXE ll, but didn't change the tone or EQ at all.

If that was the case, I think somebody else would have noticed by now...

I've never seen any mention of there being a change.

It’s something else in the preset me thinks
Now not sure how long you have had your 3 but to me it is inherently
Brighter than the 2 was overall IMO

It’s something else in the preset me thinks
Now not sure how long you have had your 3 but to me it is inherently
Brighter than the 2 was overall IMO
I don't find the Axe Fx III brighter... But I have not done a side by side comparison, at least since I first got my III and was migrating presets.

Also, the Axe Fx III factory presets are not the Axe Fx II factory presets...

The OP could try to export the II preset and use FracTool to convert it to Axe Fx III.

The 'Fat' switch will react differently depending on the Amp model and the settings.

It's very possible that the Axe-Fx III preset that you are referring to is different than it's Axe-Fx II counterpart? (or, you found an error in one of the Amp models?)

Can you be more specific about the exact preset(s)?

This is just not correct. The whole purpose of the FAT switch is to shift the mid EQ.

Axe Fx II manual:
View attachment 51124

Axe Fx III manual:

View attachment 51122

actually you are confirming that he can be correct depending on the amp type. yes you might hear more low mid/low end with fat switch
which can be described as adding depth to tone. and yes it makes some amps get pushed harder and therefor you add also gain to your tone. you can use it almost as a boost, and make clean crunchy, or crunchy tones get more into lead territory.

actually you are confirming that he can be correct depending on the amp type. yes you might hear more low mid/low end with fat switch
which can be described as adding depth to tone. and yes it makes some amps get pushed harder and therefor you add also gain to your tone. you can use it almost as a boost, and make clean crunchy, or crunchy tones get more into lead territory.
His post says:
but didn't change the tone or EQ at all
I'm simply pointing out that by definition, this is not a correct statement.

Also, "depth" is part of "tone", so the post is contradicting itself ;)

I agree that altering the center of the tone stack could do what you said.

If your comparing two different presents on two different units I don’t think it’s possible to conclude that one parameter works differently, since there could be countless reasons for it.

Just becasue a preset has the same name doesn’t mean it’s going to sound the same, the modeling is different on the III, the cab clock is different, etc

I found that darn near everything sounded “better” on the III, or at least different.

Stock presets like the Deluxe reverb, plexi 100 watt, etc sounded amazing on the III, and i never really was wowed with the stock on the II.

This was to be expected as it’s not the same old II preset so we don’t expect identical sound.

Fat switch never did anything for me an EQ couldn't do...it would be cool if things actually got fatter. But I'm not complaining this thing is a tone beast with fat all day

Eh.....I just realized I should probably read the manual at some point soon. :)

I guess I just haven't found it hard to use at all. Such a great piece of gear!

I mean, the III is the III, not the II. Different hardware and firmware...I wouldn't expect it to sound exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom