Fat(ish) Strat, Tele and the AxeFX

greiswig

Power User
One of my projects recently was fitting a strat build I had made from surplus parts from...well, who knows where... fitting it with a Fralin P-92 bridge pickup that I found in my stash. I'd never been enamored of the strat bridge, but I really didn't want a full-on humbucker in there because I've already got HB guitars.

It works really well, IMO! Tele-ish, but it's got it's own thing going. And it doesn't seem to sacrifice the quack too much, although I had to fiddle a lot with the middle pickup height to get the balance right for the 2 and 4 positions.

Anyway, since I've mostly been playing my HB guitars, I set out to make a new preset for the strat. My tonal preferences are along the lines of Robben Ford, Mike Landau, Jon Herington...not high gain, but expressive.

Wow! I end up with a totally different set of amps preferred. Ones that I never liked for humbuckers work great with this. I know, no surprise.

Some examples:
  • The Carol Ann ODS - this one never gelled for me with humbuckers the way either the Ford ODS or the Bludo did. But here, there's something that just works. The Fuchs ODS, too, seems to work better here than it ever did for HB guitars, but still has just sooo much gain.
  • Hot Cat 30 - The amp that I had that made me originally want a Telecaster works much better for me with SC guitars, including this Strat.
  • A "Steel String Singer" made using the SV Bass 2 rig with a Skyliner tone stack and a FET boost front end into the free Harry Joyce cab that we were given awhile back, along with a Rumble cab. Man, that thing really does sing! Makes you want to keep turning up. Neck pickup on the Strat or Tele in particular. Blues heaven.
  • The Shiver Lead - nice, thick, chewy. I never bonded with this for humbuckers, but here again it seems to work for singles and for this P-92.
  • Maz 38 - obvious choice. I did have to turn the grid clipping on the cathode follower waaay down to get to where it didn't have so much fizz. Cliff has said that the fizz is part of the sound, but I kinda hate it. Punchy, great for a Tele bridge, too.
  • The Two Rock J35 also needs a mention here, since it seems to have a midrange punch that other D-style amps lack. That isn't needed for humbuckers, but it helps my SC guitars punch through.
Anyway, I hope this helps give back a little to a great community. Let's be careful out there!

Attachments

• StratTele.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I wanted to try out the preset – but importing it into my Axe-FX III with firmware 12.14 did not work: not via menu "import preset" and also not via „manage presets". The blocks remained empty and the name of the preset was not displayed in Axe-Edit. Any suggestions what's wrong?

Ok, I installed the beta of FW 13 – now I can see the preset, but no sound is coming out of my FRFR-speaker on output 1. Maybe I am to new to Axe-FX 3 to understand the preset (never seen something like this before). What does "linked to: G1" mean – a blue number 1 is displayed in many blocks? I tried to ask the Axe manual about that, but that did not really help me.

Last edited:
Those mean they are global blocks. Look up that concept: very helpful.

There is a filter block in here that I use to boost volume for leads, whether using a dedicated lead channel on an amp or using a drive pedal in front of one. So unless that's set to something other than 0dB, the scenes should all be at pretty much the same level.

Here's a version without any global blocks, and simplified down to only output 1. Hopefully this works for you, @Uelef.

Attachments

• StratTele.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for your support, greiswig. At the first moment I did not hear anything again (scene 8) until I noticed that the cab (channel D, slot 4) was empty. I guess you are using own IRs. I added an IR (but that changes for sure the sound of your preset) and now the preset worked. There's another slot in the Cab (channel B, slot 1) that is empty – also an user IR, I suggest. Because of the lacking IRs I cannot say anything about the sound of your preset … But at least I will have a look into global blocks.
Thanks again …

Scene 8 should be using Channel B, not D. On the cab block:
  • Channel B, Slot 4 (only one used) is the Ownhammer 212 VC30 BLU+SLV SP2-03. I'd say try any of the Vox/Matchless options
  • Channel D, slot 1 should be the 4x12 HJ RCA 122B cab, which Fractal gave to us in the free Harry Joyce set. Excellent IR's worth picking up.
  • Other IR's are stock, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom