Fat Clean tone with Bridge Pick Up?

BBN

Fractal Fanatic
Looking for tips and tricks that others may have discovered in dialing in clean tones with a bridge pick up.

I know that's a vague request.....so I'll attept to explain.

I'm a Les Paul guy, and I usually use my neck pick up with a slightly modified Mark Day Clean Patch.
I recently grabbed a guitar that only has a bridge pickup up. I don't want to route it and install a neck pick up....so I'm going to try and get a neck pick up sound from my bridge pick up.

Before I start digging into the thousands of features of my Ultra (or Axe 2), I figured I'd throw a quick feeler out to see if any other folks may have already tackled this situation and had any suggestions for a certain pedal, filter, EQ, etc...that may have helped them.

Thanks for any suggestions!

hey.

if you can record me some chord strumming with your Pauls neck PU and the other guitars bridge PU as DI signals (Axe in bypass) I could construct you a PEQ setting. Simeon is trying something similar atm by the way. ;)

pm me if interested.

Hey man. Use one of your regular clean patches, but then place a filter block first in the signal chain and block out the extreme highs. You can also place an EQ block second and increase some of the lows and lower-mids. The key here is using the filters and EQ's to get your sound right before it goes thru the amps and cabs.

You may also want to try a signal patch of just the filter block and EQ's and shunts the rest of way in order to A/B this guitar against your Les Paul. Get the guitars sounding in the same neighborhood EQ-wise before you start messing around with anything else.

Cheers,
-AL

Hey man. Use one of your regular clean patches, but then place a filter block first in the signal chain and block out the extreme highs. You can also place an EQ block second and increase some of the lows and lower-mids. The key here is using the filters and EQ's to get your sound right before it goes thru the amps and cabs.

You may also want to try a signal patch of just the filter block and EQ's and shunts the rest of way in order to A/B this guitar against your Les Paul. Get the guitars sounding in the same neighborhood EQ-wise before you start messing around with anything else.

Cheers,
-AL

Just guessing here, but I'd imagine the mids/high-mids would probably more of an issue than extreme highs.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'll try the filter and eq trick and see where I get.
If that doesn't yield decent results, I'll track a couple chords of each guitar and see if Don may be able to help with an Eq construction. (just don't want to waste your time if I don't need to Don....but thank you very much for the offer, you may see a PM soon if I'm not successful)

A PEQ/Filter is probably your best bet. It will be nearly impossible to get the sound to match though, simply because you are picking up a different area of the string, which behaves differently. You may be able to get the tone set so that it sounds the same, but the subtle changes in responsiveness probably can't be simulated. Hope it works out.

Back
Top Bottom