Fastlink Adapters?

boardwlk17

Power User
Are the fastlink adapters better than the ethernet cable ?. As long as the Ethernet cables are plugged in flat I haven't had many issues.

Are the fastlink adapters better than the ethernet cable ?. As long as the Ethernet cables are plugged in flat I haven't had many issues.

The adapter is just so you can run a mic cable across the stage to connect your mfc instead of a data cable. If something happens to a data cable at a gig it would be a lot easier to find another mic cable.

Thanks, I've been playing for a long time , I bring extras of Everything .lol
The data cables do get twisted after awhile and they look alot thinner than a good thick mic cable

A 100.00 to convert to a mic cable. Man that's not cheep
If you already have an XL or an MFC-101 Mk III, it costs half that much. If you already have both, it costs nothing. :)

Whether it's worth the cost to have a cable that's not likely to get damaged if it gets tugged us stepped on, and that you're not going to trip over when it gets kinked—that's a personal decision.

I was using a cat 5 heavy duty cable for my FX II to MFC link. The cable was expensive, and a little short. The adapter was less than $50, I think, and worth every penny. Now I can put my rack anywhere, and my connections are all done with bomb-proof XLR jacks. No worries. I think it's worth the jing.

I have a spare the ethernet cable. I think it is cheaper and more practical than buying a fastlink adapters

In retrospect, I might have hesitated if I had to buy two adapters - but my MFC is mk. III, so I only needed one.

I have a spare the ethernet cable. I think it is cheaper and more practical than buying a fastlink adapters
That way is definitely cheaper. But more practical? If your Cat 5 cable fails in the middle of a gig, you have to interrupt your playing to swap in the spare. Is that really more practical than not having the cable fail at all?

Careful here. I went in intending to buy a FASLink adapter a few months ago, and ended up with an XL+.

And yes, the mic cable is much easier to manage. Less tender...especially around the punch-downs. IMO if you're regularly gigging, this is well worth it. Basement guy? Probably not.

R

My ethernet cable got yanked out at a gig once, destroying the little tabs that hold it in, on the axe fx itself. Was a 200 dollar repair after shipping and fees. Bought a best tronic cable and used that for years. Currently, one of the clips on the jack itself broke off. Ive been meaning to get a new one, but its just kinda hassle. The 100 bucks might be well spent at this point seeing as i have a mk1 of both Axe FX2 and MFC and I cant forsee when ill have 3500 bucks to upgrade vs 100 bucks or the time with my current show schedule.

FASLink is so convenient if XL/MK3 but much cheaper to just grab yourself a few RJ45 couplers, a crimper, and spare plugs vs adapters. Securely mount the couplers to protect the ports on AxeFx/MFC (keep in mind you need to securely mount FASLink adapters too if go that route). If someone trips over etc. you damage cheap parts. Pre made cables are cheap these days as well if not into the repair/crimp your own thing.

Coupler $0.34 (each)
Crimper $5.59
RJ45 Plugs $5.77

One of the best reasons to use FASLINK is that you are unlikely to ever have a problem with the XLR cable that makes the long run across your stage. Ethernet cables are more fragile. If you run over one with a road case, or if it gets too beat up in your milk carton, the cable can be damaged, and the damage can migrate up to your Axe-Fx.

I have a AXE MK1 and MFC MK3. The Ethernet port is dodgy on my AXE. I also cannot get 7 pin midi working.

Can I use FASLINK adopters to connect my AXE to MFC to allow 1 cable connection ?

Thanks

I have a AXE MK1 and MFC MK3. The Ethernet port is dodgy on my AXE. I also cannot get 7 pin midi working.

Can I use FASLINK adopters to connect my AXE to MFC to allow 1 cable connection ?

Thanks
Yes. but you have to connect the fas link adapter to your Ethernet port on your axe fx.

Thanks
not all 7 pin midi cables have all 7 pins connected and that is why you are having issues. There is a besttronics 7 pin midi cable in the sale section right now. That one will def work

I bought s specific 7pin cable from the uk which was supposedly for the AXE. All I could get was all the red lights on the MFC on. I did plug power directly into the MFC (worked as normal) then tried via phantom power again and it worked fine until I turned all units off for 10min then tried to turn back on. Back to all red lights on.

Seems to me like the MFC was getting power ok but just not sufficient to complete a start up signal. I'm not sure then if another cable will help.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom