Fastest way to audition IRs?

L

luke

Is there a way to scroll IRs quickly?

Presently I’m using “picker” and typing in one number higher than current cab.

Is there a more efficient way? Or even better, have it scroll say once per second without me having to go anything other than listen.

Bringing back this thread.

I can’t seem to filter for g12m or 4x12 etc and have the filter ‘stick’. As soon as I go back to the picker to increment the number, the filter is gone?

What I usually do is open the picker, pin it, and use the arrow keys (I'm on a Mac and it works fine) and step through IR's. I feel less blind stepping through them this way instead of using the "focus on the #" method where you can't see the IR's that are coming up. As Joe mentioned above, use the looper if you want to listen carefully to the IR's.

I don't think it's possible to do what I want: Filter by cab name string, up arrow through the (likely) non-sequential, filtered results.

I can't alt-tab between the cab selection window and the main FM3 window.

Last edited:
I've found the best way to audition IRs is with an IR loading plugin. Bypass the Cab block and use the plugin to try IRs and make notes of which ones you like the best. That way you don't have to import everything into your unit and you just choose the ones that speak to you.

I’m using the looper.

the up arrow trick works fine for me, it’s losing the filter I’ve applied that’s the real problem

Same here.

Record a loop, let it repeat, open the cab picker, pin it, click the first cab then you can use your arrows to move up/down.

I've found the best way to audition IRs is with an IR loading plugin. Bypass the Cab block and use the plugin to try IRs and make notes of which ones you like the best. That way you don't have to import everything into your unit and you just choose the ones that speak to you.
You can do that with the Manage Cabs browser. As browsers go, it's rather primitive, but it will allow you to audition IRs from your computer so you don't have to load all of them before you start browsing. As you're browsing, you can drag and drop an IR to a slot in the AxeFX to import any that you like, so there's no need to take notes.

But yeah, the bigger problem here is the user interface for Fractal Audio generally assumes your entire library (presets also, not just IRs) is loaded into your AxeFX. That's gotta change, it's just too limiting.

Same here.

Record a loop, let it repeat, open the cab picker, pin it, click the first cab then you can use your arrows to move up/down.
You’re leaving out my filter step. After I filter I might be left with cab numbers 5, 8, and 33. When I up arrow it goes 5,6,7 etc

You can do that with the Manage Cabs browser. As browsers go, it's rather primitive, but it will allow you to audition IRs from your computer so you don't have to load all of them before you start browsing. As you're browsing, you can drag and drop an IR to a slot in the AxeFX to import any that you like, so there's no need to take notes.

But yeah, the bigger problem here is the user interface for Fractal Audio generally assumes your entire library (presets also, not just IRs) is loaded into your AxeFX. That's gotta change, it's just too limiting.
As far as I can see Manage cabs is only to audition IRs that are external. To decide if they are load worthy, er, that sounded wrong

As far as I can see Manage cabs is only to audition IRs that are external. To decide if they are load worthy, er, that sounded wrong
The question was "how to audition IR's that are external, i.e. on your computer". The answer is to use the Manage Cabs browser.

@GlennO true but that doesn’t invalidate my question, which is not far off topic

what are there, 2048 installed cabs ? There might be, what, 80 to 90 tweed cabs that are not sequential that would be nice to audition (even though installed already) when building a preset.

I'm not sure what your question is, but If instead you want to audition IRs that are already loaded into the AxeFX: Open up the picker, pin it, filter the list if you wish, then audition the cabs by clicking on them. Or step through the list with the arrow keys.

Back
Top Bottom