Faslink vs Ethercon (Ethernet)

Hello all! I’ve been running my MFC version 3 via Faslink for about 2 years and have had intermittent but frequent name timeouts with a variety of XLR cables. Is ethernet/ethercon a more robust connection? Thanks!

Not really. The cables aren't nearly as robust as a standard microphone cable.

How long is the cable you're using? Does it have intermittent shorts maybe?

Not really. The cables aren't nearly as robust as a standard microphone cable.

How long is the cable you're using? Does it have intermittent shorts maybe?
I’ve used various manufacturers but mostly Hosa and Neutric generally 3’, 15’, and 25’.

I’ve noticed that the timeouts at least seem to occur when the power is shady. However, they’ve also happened when plugged into a battery backup.

The timeouts especially occur when switching Scenes or Presets quickly or repetitively.

Hmm. Nothing wrong with those lengths, that's for certain. If you use a normal MIDI cable, do you see the same problem? The FASLink approach should be the fastest, most robust of all the connection methods.

Weird right? Honestly, I've never tried straight MIDI. I have a spare Ethercon cable from my pre-Fractal days with the TC Electronic GSystem. I'll have to try both. The timeouts have never killed a show, but there are at least a few gigs every month where the rest of the band awkwardly stares at me while I restart the AxeFx. Luckily it boots really fast! I just hope it doesn't happen during an important song at a wedding.

Yea, try the Ether-Con and let us know if it helps. Could be a loose connection on either side of the chain. If the Ether-Con works reliably, I'd look into the loose connection thing.

Update:

Ethercon seems to work well. However, I tested my scene freezing issues but rapidly hitting my scene buttons and was still able to get the Axe & MFC stuck on a scene.

I should mention I have never actually gotten the “Name Timeout” error message. What I’ve been calling Name Timeout is actually when the MFC gets stuck in a scene and will no longer communicate with the Axe.

Basically I can hit the buttons on the MFC and the LCD will display the name of the button but will not change the LED or communicate with the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom