FASLINK II with a CAT SASS/ Catapult Mini

pealock

Hey guys!

I just got my FC12 a few days ago, haven't slept much because I can't stop programming and having a blast! Truly an amazing product.

I have a simple signal path question. I know that the FASLINK II connector sends both power and data, similar to a phantom power line from a soundboard. I use a device called a CAT SASS/ Catapult Mini which converts XLR to Ethercon and allows me to run much longer cable distances at a much cheaper price than XLR. Would it be possible to use that device with the FASLINK II connection? As in, could I convert the XLR to Ethercon and send that to my FC12 and convert it back to XLR? Just curious!

Thanks!

I think that the price of the device plus the price of the ethercon connectors plus the price of a the cat5 cables are going to by far exceed the XLR cable cost. But I may be wrong!

I think that the price of the device plus the price of the ethercon connectors plus the price of a the cat5 cables are going to by far exceed the XLR cable cost. But I may be wrong!

For a single signal send/receive yes, but when you factor in that you can do 4 simultaneous signal chains per one CAT SASS then it is cheaper than pulling four individual lines. For example, I could run my guitar into a 1/4" to XLR adapter and send that through the CAT SASS as well. There are definitely applications where it is cheaper, but you're right, for most people I think sticking to XLR is better solution. I was more so just curious if it would work and if anyone has tried it.

The Catapult Mini is designed to carry analog audio signals, not digital control signals. And phantom power for microphones is at a higher voltage and lower current than phantom power for the FC. These are major incompatibilities.

The Catapult Mini is designed to carry analog audio signals, not digital control signals. And phantom power for microphones is at a higher voltage and lower current than phantom power for the FC. These are major incompatibilities.
Awesome, thanks for the heads up! Case closed!

Back
Top Bottom