FASLINK II ...lit up pedal boards...power?

200man

Power User
I was looking at one FC and 2 expression pedals mounted on a pedal board setup.
When looking at pedal boards on the open market there are some cool options that offer LED glow options that need not a lot of power to work. Then I thought jeepers the foot controller gets its power from the one cable which makes for an extremely easy setup(love this design).

Long story, but might it be possible to tap some of the dc power off the faslink ii connection to power these “glowing” pedal boards? I smell a voided warranty but thought I’d ask anyway. :)

I was looking at one FC and 2 expression pedals mounted on a pedal board setup.
When looking at pedal boards on the open market there are some cool options that offer LED glow options that need not a lot of power to work. Then I thought jeepers the foot controller gets its power from the one cable which makes for an extremely easy setup(love this design).

Long story, but might it be possible to tap some of the dc power off the faslink ii connection to power these “glowing” pedal boards? I smell a voided warranty but thought I’d ask anyway. :)
Had the same thought before with my MFC and Axe Fx II... Never followed up on it.

Does someone make a XLR phantom power to dc adapter? My understanding is FASLINK II is using phantom power to power the FC controller. Maybe you could tap into the FASLINK power right before it gets to the FC controller using an adapter.

Concerns would be how much current is provided and how much current the fc controller uses as well as how much current the lights use.

Last edited:
Being that running a second FC controller requires using a wall wart to power the second unit I would shy away from trying to tap power from the FASLINK II. Maybe build a custom cable that has 5 wires so you can do a breakout on both ends one for mic/FASLINK II and two wires to power your light show. With power supply for the light show housed in the rack.

Last edited:
Maybe consider a battery box on or under the board and a small toggle either on the top or side of board.
I think the idea was to not have to provide separate power.

But I use USB powered LED lights and do use a small battery "power bank" to power them just fine.

May seem a bit pricey at first but consider they're rechargeable, so no wasted $ on alkaline's and no messing with jerry-rigging power. And you can charge your phone/iPad, lol

I seriously need something like this ... i need to power only one additional pedal - EHX 720 looper (75ma at 9V DC) - and i really don't want anything additional for powering the board ... if the FASLINK II could provide the 75ma and the 9V, a "XLR to standard pedal-power-pin" would be absolutely awesome. And i think, many people here would appreciate something like this (there are a few threads about this topic!)

In case anyone's searching for this too, like I was, here are the values I found for a FC6 being connected to a Axe Fx 3 MkI:

The FASlink II XLR connection uses pin 1 for return/shield, pin 2 for Voltage, pin 3 for data. Pin 2 delivers 14 V.

Additionally I found that the FASlink out on a FC seems not to output any voltage if nothing is connected.
Only Pin 3 delivers 3.6 V, which is likely to run a detection logic on the chained device which would then request enabling the 14V source.

So one will need to Y-split the connection between the Axe and the FC to get 14V.

I remember Paul Lenders (google him).telling me like 15 yrs ago that he could power a wah tapping off power from a midi cable that also powered the midi footcontroller. That was in my triaxis days. That would mean it should be possible to power a few leds. Maybe one of those custom cable companies? If you really want to keep your faslink maybe you can extend the cord of a standard adapter so you can get the power from the rack. Try and get an extention cord the same length aa your faslink cable, tape them together and you’re done.

Or do something else…

Back
Top Bottom