FasLink II in Patch Bay - is it safe?

fractalz

Power User
I think I know the answer to this, but thought I'd confirm...

I'm building out a patch bay for our multi-room studio and was thinking of putting the FasLink II connection there to enable routing it to one of multiple MTLs. However, since it powers the FC's, I think it may have voltages that I'd want to keep away from other equipment (e.g., mic pre, compressors, etc.).

For that reason, I don't think it's safe in the patchbay (unless I want to play a real-live version of mine sweeper).

Thoughts?

I use it in my rack panel with no issues... I know that's not exactly the same, though.

Don't studios run phantom power through patch bays?

I use it in my rack panel with no issues... I know that's not exactly the same, though.

Don't studios run phantom power through patch bays?

Yeah, phantom power is there but that comes from the mic pre. So, unless I wire two of them together... and that probably won't blow up?

I'm concerned about accidentally hooking the FasLink up to a mic pre or an expensive mic.

Yeah, phantom power is there but that comes from the mic pre. So, unless I wire two of them together... and that probably won't blow up?

I'm concerned about accidentally hooking the FasLink up to a mic pre or an expensive mic.
I have a vague memory that FASLink I was protected against that... If so, I'd assume the same for II.

I have a vague memory that FASLink I was protected against that... If so, I'd assume the same for II.
Wow bad logic. If the description given the other day in another thread by Cliff... then there is 9v on a single pin, that is not the same as how phantom power is delivered. And anyway the OP is worried about connecting other devices (by mistake) to a FASLINK 2 port. It might not fry the FASLINK 2 but it could damage the other equipment.

Wow bad logic. If the description given the other day in another thread by Cliff... then there is 9v on a single pin, that is not the same as how phantom power is delivered. And anyway the OP is worried about connecting other devices (by mistake) to a FASLINK 2 port. It might not fry the FASLINK 2 but it could damage the other equipment.
My comment was about the FASLink on the Axe Fx.

The comment I replied to mentioned a mic pre which can also SEND phantom power, which can damage devices that are not expecting it.

So, not bad logic at all... The possibility for damage goes both ways.

The voltage is fine to be in a patch bay.

Obviously plugging a mic or mic pre into the faslink connector is not recommended

While I don't expect the voltage to do anything to the patch bay, my query is whether an accidental connection to a mic pre, mic, etc. would be a fatal mistake. If so, then it would not be wise to have a grab bag of razor blades around the house...

While I don't expect the voltage to do anything to the patch bay, my query is whether an accidental connection to a mic pre, mic, etc. would be a fatal mistake. If so, then it would not be wise to have a grab bag of razor blades around the house...

I answered that part. If you plug a mic ore into your axe 3 faslink 2 port you’ll likely have a bad day.

Workaround? Use 1/4” trs patchbay then you can’t possibly plug a mic or mic pre into it

AB1FDA47-0EF3-4C4C-BE49-B03DCC1B658D.jpeg
Not the same application, but I have a patch bay in the rack with my AFX3 to connect without having to go around back of the unit. It’s just an XLR pass thru that is labeled Faslink as shown. Works perfectly, but I wouldn’t want to be plug in an expensive mic or mic pre accidentally. Maybe you could find a red colored connector or mark it up so that it doesn’t get mistaken.

If you think about it, you can accidentally mistake a effects loop for a speaker out on a tube amp. You just have to know to double check.

I answered that part. If you plug a mic ore into your axe 3 faslink 2 port you’ll likely have a bad day.

Workaround? Use 1/4” trs patchbay then you can’t possibly plug a mic or mic pre into it
Maybe you could wire up a special cable as a speakon cable. That would keep you as safe as anything.

My comment was about the FASLink on the Axe Fx.

The comment I replied to mentioned a mic pre which can also SEND phantom power, which can damage devices that are not expecting it.

So, not bad logic at all... The possibility for damage goes both ways.
The logic that the protection you vaguely remember being on faslink1 being on faslink 2 is what I meant as being bad.
1) you might be wrong about the protection being on faslink1
2) the faslink2 might not have that protection
Both are assumptions and therefore not a good place to start logic from.

I think the most sensible suggestion is a colour coded and labelled port if it is put in the panel at all.

The logic that the protection you vaguely remember being on faslink1 being on faslink 2 is what I meant as being bad.
1) you might be wrong about the protection being on faslink1
2) the faslink2 might not have that protection
Both are assumptions and therefore not a good place to start logic from.

I think the most sensible suggestion is a colour coded and labelled port if it is put in the panel at all.
Ah, yes... Definitely agree that my vague recollection should be validated and not taken on trust (and that it applies to FASLink II) :)

I almost suggested color coding or some other marking method, which could work as long as all users of that patch panel know what it means... And as long as it is correctly used ;)

Back
Top Bottom