FAS SOS: SET OF SETTINGS / SAVE OUR SETTINGS PROJECT

Prince

Inspired
Vendor
Here is a little preview from my forthcoming "FAS SOS: Set of Settings Project".

I have compiled settings from 5,451 unique scenes/presets, from pro/paid, factory, and user/Axechange sources. I've been tracking the amp blocks ideal and "advanced" pages, cab blocks, drives, reverbs, delays, comps, etc.. I have also made over 80 presets each featuring multiple amp, cab, and effects models, each demonstrating their overall averaged values. The entirety of these presets and the rest of the data will be available in the very near future. I will post a few sample presets this weekend.

I have literally spent hundreds of hours over the past year compulsively data mining. After purchasing my FM3, and being a bit overwhelmed by the sheer number of amps, cabs, and effects, I set out to gain a little inspiration/direction from the factory presets, Austin Buddy, Fremen, and YOU, to see how experienced vets were dialing in their presets. You know, just a friendly, gentle nudge in the right direction. Well that escalated quickly and soon spun out of control and I started tracking stats for almost all of the amp and effect models available in the FM3.

The "Sets of Settings" (SOS) are not answers; they are tools. The SOS will not tell us what the objective-irrefutable-perfect-most Dumble or Metal Zone toanz is. My hope is that they should provide us with some guidance, by drawing upon our collective experience, expertise, and preferences, to demonstrate general patterns/trends in how we collectively dial in our FAS gear.

-Each "Set" consists of various "Settings" made up from unique presets/channels. All redundant rows of settings were deleted prior to sorting, aka hundreds of presets were lost, but this results in far more accurate data that isn't weighted in one source/creators direction.

-The Sets have been sorted from low-high for each column. Therefore the rows do not equal a single preset/channel derived from one pro/paid, factory, or user source; the presets have all been mixed together. No, row #32 isn't Austin Buddy's Peavey Bandit preset! You'll have to buy his soon to be released "Sounds of 1980s Middle School Toanz Pakz".

-I have tracked the Minimum, Maximum, Average, & Median values for each Set. Additionally most sets have the following:
-Low 2 Avg (lowest 25% of results)
-Low 1 Avg = (lower 25-50% of results)
-High 1 Avg = (higher 50-75% of results)
-High 2 Avg (Highest 25% of Results).
-For Sets with less than 20 unique presets/channels, they feature: Low Avg (Lower 50% of results) & High Avg (Higher 50% of results).
-These are all color coded along the numbered column on the left. Blue = Low 2 Avg, Dark Grey = Low 1 Avg, Light Grey = High 1 Avg, Red = High 2 Avg.

-For each Setting/column, we effectively have 6-8 suggested values that should work for most users: Min & Max = USABLE extremes, Average & Median = Safe zone, Low 2/Low 1/High 1/High 2 = suggestions between the usable extremes and the safe zone.

I hope to build a website over the next week to house this truly massive amount of data and present it in a more coherent format than I am sharing it here. This is a very small sample of the models that I've created Sets of Settings for. I hope y'all find this information as interesting as I have, but more importantly, find it useful in helping you dial in your tones, which might be especially helpful in the wake of Cygnus (or maybe all this data is rendered obsolete/irrelevant because it is Pre-Cygnus, who knows!). Furthermore, I hope that y'all find the suggested values and source data as valuable resources for approaching amp and effect models that you might have previously shied away from.

Please let me know if y'all have any questions, but more importantly, thank you for providing me with the raw material to compulsively obsess over for an entire year!

To be able to read the images, view on Imgur

Last edited:
That's awesome work and I'm really looking forward to perusing the data.

I think a cool thing that Fractal could do with this data is to have a "recommended pairing" setting you can toggle on/off for amp and cab that would automatically set up the most popular factory IR to go with the amp model and change that if you change the amp model. This would allow the user to get started with each amp model faster as they would have a good starting point in the cab block as well.

The code to do this would be a pretty simple "on amp model change, find next cab block in grid after the amp and switch it to preferred cab model from this amp -> cab map".

Let the Darwinian Survival of Optimized Patch Archetypes begin. We who are about to fry salute you.

But never forget … often, it’s the outliers that make all the difference.

It will still be a few days before a get the website built. I'm trying to do it myself but have been hitting some hiccups that are taking some time, which I'm sure if I just hired someone it would be a lot faster...

That's awesome work and I'm really looking forward to perusing the data.

I think a cool thing that Fractal could do with this data is to have a "recommended pairing" setting you can toggle on/off for amp and cab that would automatically set up the most popular factory IR to go with the amp model and change that if you change the amp model. This would allow the user to get started with each amp model faster as they would have a good starting point in the cab block as well.

The code to do this would be a pretty simple "on amp model change, find next cab block in grid after the amp and switch it to preferred cab model from this amp -> cab map".

FWIW, you already have this with the factory presets.
Just head to your favorite amp model's preset, and boom, there's your recommended cab as a starting point.

Back
Top Bottom