FAS Recto 1 vs The Real Thing

Axe-Master
Two sets of clips designed to demonstrate the accuracy of the FAS models. I set all the controls the same and only adjusted the power supply sag on the model to try match the tube rectifier setting on the real amp. Everything was run through a Marshall 1960B close mic'd with a Shure SM57.

The first is my Rev G Dual Rectifier vs the Recto 1 model, using the Dual Rec's effects return as a power amp (PA modelling off)

Clip 1 - Recto
Clip 2 - Model
Clip 3- Model + Boost
Clip 4 - Recto + FAS Boost

Second is the Recto vs the Recto 1 model and a Matrix GT800FX power amp (PA modelling on).

Clip 1 - Recto
Clip 2 - Model
Clip 3 - Recto + FAS Boost
clip 4 - Model + FAS Boost

Hey 2112. The clips demonstrate an issue I'm struggling with matching the my own recto (also rev G).

In your clips the model has a harshness in the highs compared to the real amp. I'm struggling to dial this out in my own patches. The real amp sounds 'silken' for want of a better word, while the model sounds 'papery' and hard at the top end. If you go back and for between clip 1 and 2 in your first soundcloud track it's very evident. By clip 4 in the 2nd track the model does seem closer.

I haven't been able to dial out the issue with EQ (ie keep the brightness and fizz, but dial out the harshness). I'm wondering in Q7 will improve things (though I'm on an ax8). I've started adding a Small Room reverb with no trails to try to smear out those objectionable highs and high-mids but its a fudge. Perhaps there's an advanced amp setting that can do a better job, but I can't find it.

Hey 2112. The clips demonstrate an issue I'm struggling with matching the my own recto (also rev G).

In your clips the model has a harshness in the highs compared to the real amp. I'm struggling to dial this out in my own patches. The real amp sounds 'silken' for want of a better word, while the model sounds 'papery' and hard at the top end. If you go back and for between clip 1 and 2 in your first soundcloud track it's very evident. By clip 4 in the 2nd track the model does seem closer.

I haven't been able to dial out the issue with EQ (ie keep the brightness and fizz, but dial out the harshness). I'm wondering in Q7 will improve things (though I'm on an ax8). I've started adding a Small Room reverb with no trails to try to smear out those objectionable highs and high-mids but its a fudge. Perhaps there's an advanced amp setting that can do a better job, but I can't find it.
I believe you may be pleased with how Q7 ADDRESSES THIS ISSUE.

That's the first thing I noticed when listening back to the clips too; given that the first clip uses the real Recto as a power amp, it must be something in the preamp section (most likely the tonestack).

I'm yet to play around with it, but either rolling off Bright control to cut some harshness or playing with the definition control or preamp tube tight might work.

When I was using a Recto live and to record with I would always boost the front end (likewise with the model) with either a TS or a Klon style pedal to smooth everything out like those last clips.

That's the first thing I noticed when listening back to the clips too; given that the first clip uses the real Recto as a power amp, it must be something in the preamp section (most likely the tonestack).

I'm yet to play around with it, but either rolling off Bright control to cut some harshness or playing with the definition control or preamp tube tight might work.

When I was using a Recto live and to record with I would always boost the front end (likewise with the model) with either a TS or a Klon style pedal to smooth everything out like those last clips.

You must be right re preamp being the issue. Can't be the PW section if you're not using it! That said one of the ways I've tried to rid it is by hiking the master vol, but again its a fudge really.

I've also noticed that none of the drives have the same effect as I had with my real recto. I used to push the front too, with an EP booster or an AC for fatness and a bit of volume boost, but I'd switch to the orange channel with more volume but a LOT less gain for solos (for clarity). Doing this makes the clacky, harsh top end even more apparent in the model. I can't get the same effect no matter what drive I use in the Ax8. Even when the amp is really gainy you could tell a difference with a boost, but I struggle to hear a worthwhile improvement. Just seems to result in even more gain with no significant change in character.

Back
Top Bottom