FAS Modern?

About the FAS amps - in addition to the FAS Modern, I love the FAS 6160. I run it with the gain way down - about 0.75 (!) and it sounds so sweet with my tele!

Excellent point, Babuka. I was thinking the same thing yesterday!
I was reading about amp building [don't know much about it] the other day and it struck me, doing it the normal, physical way, the guys would have to solder in components, see how it sounds, change if necessary. It would be great [for people who build amps] to be able to design it in software, get a pretty good idea of how it sounds, etc. Much quicker.
Regarding Cliff's comments: this is fascinating, it brings me back to the beginning of the manual where it talks about changing the models to suit your taste, rather than going with the 'default' settings. Now, it's getting to the stage where Cliff is wanting to create 'new' amps. I too believe this is the way forward to blast the Axe forward. O.k., it sounds great compared to the real world amps, but I don't know enough about schematics and amp design, maybe certain configurations have been done to death? Maybe Cliff can discover something new?
I must say, v7 is awesome! The hi-gain sounds have always felt a bit congested and the upper treble strings were a bit harsh, now it's fine. Also, the DYNAMICS!!!! Basically, what I 'tell' my guitar to 'do' it does.
It took me a bit of searching to find the difference between Das Metall and Dizzy VH4, as they're the same amp. One is based on schematics, the other, the actual amp. I like them both!
To anyone who thinks the Axe is 'finished' or 'developed', I think there is still more to come in the future!
I was also pleased the preamp modelling was improved. I was actuallly going to come on here and ask about it. Y'know, all the improvements made with the Axe 2 seem to be in the poweramp, haven't heard much about preamp. I was going to ask you guys if preamp modelling is easier than the poweramp and all that, but Cliff has beaten me to it by improving the preamp.

Man, there is a dual FAS modern posted in the preset area, listen to that insanity. Best metal tone I have heard out of my AX2 so far. Only trouble with the patch is it is using 96% CPU, even after killing the extra gates. Should be okay I guess....and not squak out at a show?

I wish Mr. Spock was here so he could calculate all of the permutations possible given all the parameters provided. 383 x 10 to the 51st power???
383,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 possible soundscapes???

I wish there were more idealized high gain FAS amps. It would rock if every amp had an FAS mode that was a moded version that was FASed. Why be held to physical world limitations, let's get epic!

I wish there were more idealized high gain FAS amps. It would rock if every amp had an FAS mode that was a modded version that was FASed. Why be held to physical world limitations, let's get epic!

Yes! This is one of the great strengths of the AFX platform - it doesn't need a real amp to copy. I would love to hear more FAS models, especially those of the more smooth and articulate OD variety....

It'd be cool if Cliff created an amp that would be completely impossible with real-world physics; just all out madness. It'd be the go-to amp for ridiculous and off the wall stuff.

I've always loved the FAS Modern, but have not used it as much as others because of the seemingly higher noise floor - noise after palm muting, etc. I'd use it almost exclusively if it was quieter with higher gain settings. That said, I LOVE my other recording and live performance patches which utilize other models. Best purchase I've ever made for my set up.

Yes! Cliff, I think there are a lot of us who would be more interested in your creations as opposed to your re-creations. Modelling existing amps is great, and the job you do is second to none... but, how about some more of these unique designs? Frankly, I'm getting a bit tired of everybody clamoring for a copy of some obscure amp that in reality isn't all that unique given that basic amp design has changed very little over the years.

Show us what you've got!

For those still on the fence... follow these steps...

1) select FAS Modern
2) double tap the BYPASS button to put the amp to initialized settings
3) drop a TS808 in front as a clean boost
4) run the amp into a stereo Recto cab (RW) with a sm57 & r121
5) drop the amp gain down a bit... to 2.5 give or take
6) do NOTHING else

Now tell me that isn't one of the sickest, most balanced metal rhythm tones you've ever heard that will slice right through the mix and into the ears of your gob-smacked fans!

(and you haven't even tweaked it yet)

If it's not already obvious... I would kill (not really) to hear more of your designs, Cliff!
Hmm... no offense, but doesn't the guitar you use do at least *something* to alter your formula? ;P

Anyone tried FAS Modern through a Matrix poweramp and Recto 4x12? Doesn't do it any justice at all ... sounds literally like all 10khz +

Yes! Cliff, I think there are a lot of us who would be more interested in your creations as opposed to your re-creations. Modelling existing amps is great, and the job you do is second to none... but, how about some more of these unique designs? ... I would kill (not really) to hear more of your designs, Cliff!

Couldn't agree more. Lately, when exploring amp models, I've taken to "testing blind," facing away from the unit, so that I can't see which amp I'm using. I find it hard to not factor in my pre-conceived notions of a particular amp (a Dumble sounds better than a Fender, a Dr Z beats an AC-30 at the same game, a Marshall makes a better "British" sound than a Hiwatt or a Laney, etc.) when I'm trying them out. Ultimately, the audience isn't going to come onstage to see what amp I'm modeling; they'll just know when it soungs great...

I'm glad to see that people appreciate this as I feel that the next step is more virtual amps rather than copying existing designs.

Glad to hear this.
I have felt for quite a while now that the power of the Axe Fx is really in taking the sounds into territories that are not possible with real tube amps.
That for me is the whole point of the Axe.
I have never been interested in slavishly modelling already existing amps and trying to replicate their sound, or trying to exactly replicate the sounds that some artist from the seventies made using their old tube amps.
So Cliff, don't hold back. Bring on the future !!

diggi said:
I've always loved the FAS Modern, but have not used it as much as others because of the seemingly higher noise floor - noise after palm muting

On the noise gate page: -60db thresh, 3.00 ratio
- if it's still noisy, then it might be your guitar (make sure your guitar is grounded properly- you'd be surprised)

Best purchase I've ever made for my set up.

Agreed.

I wish Mr. Spock was here so he could calculate all of the permutations possible given all the parameters provided. 383 x 10 to the 51st power???
383,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 possible soundscapes???
Try a Googolplex :razz

By the way , just want to thank the OP for this post.
Posts like these are great because they make you try something you may not have tried before, and thereby getting more value and enjoyment from the Axe Fx.
In my case I dialled up the FAS Modern, as suggested here, put the drive down to a level I liked, used the noise gate , and wow.
Really happy with the sound.
So thanks !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom