FAS Modern?

I'm almost finished a production where I reamped the dry guitars through the Axe FX.

More often than not I'll use the FAS Modern- it is the perfect high gain rock/metal tone.

I'm nowhere near a "Big Hair" guy myself, but I really liked using the Big Hair FAS amp in the Ultra as a basis for a very musical fusion-style lead voice. I tweaked down the drive somewhat, but felt that it was an excellent, "idealized" amp voice... and was always somewhat surprised to see how little love it seemed to get from other AxeFx users.

I'm also really hoping that Cliff continues to push that "idealized amp" envelope with the AxeFx2, as well as the most recent strides he's made with the incredible "realism" of the amp models.

Yet have to check out FAS Modern, but def with FW7 my favorite amp is FAS Lead 1. Great for not so over the top distorted stuff fusion stuff. Been wanking Robben Ford-ish stuff for days now ;)

Not an overly high gain guy myself, but the FAS models are definitely of the good ones in there. Love the FAS Lead 1 for neck pickup lead.

I'm glad to see that people appreciate this as I feel that the next step is more virtual amps rather than copying existing designs.
^THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's why I bought the Axe. I think we tend to get too focused on creating an exact copy of decades old tones rather than experimenting and coming up with that tone eveyone will be trying to nail decades from now!

^THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's why I bought the Axe. I think we tend to get too focused on creating an exact copy of decades old tones rather than experimenting and coming up with that tone eveyone will be trying to nail decades from now!

Hell. it's what I've been waiting for since the POD came out, and what I asked about in a recent thread I started on the subject, just not quite in those words. Glad to see it expressed, and even gladder of the reception. OO-RAH.

Now, to the thread in particular: I've come about in some ways in the last couple days, giving some time also to peridically come back to the FASMODERN, just now finding something very usable to me, albeit a little crunchy, but very tasty if I wanted a 'crunch' tone. Very buttery feel, and has a good 'raging' to it. Some volume is required.

Edit: and here I found out less gain (I removed the boost in the amp section, and turned the DRV gain to 0) cleans it up some. Much nicer!

Still can't stand the Recto with this, but honestly I think the Ultra 30w cab is the be all, end all for me.

Last edited:
The FAS models are my main choices.

FAS modern = the recto "as it should sound"
FAS lead 2 = I love the Triaxis lead 2 yellow, still have it, but FAS lead 2 is actually better!

I think that's one of the most improvement of the FW 7.0. Usable in every situation, not only in Metal core stuff...even for hard rock rhythm, because rolling down guitar volume pot, it clears up so nice...

I'm even missing FAS Clean! For me, it had a plasticky quality about it in a desirable way.

Yes Cliff, we are looking out for meowing FAS PussyCat models! :D (or a "meow" mode for the wah, why not?? ;))

This model is my interpretation of the ideal modern metal tone. In the digital realm we are not constrained by the limitations that face tube amp designers so we are free to implement designs that would be nearly impossible with a tube amp.

The Axe-Fx II modeling includes a variety of general purpose filters that I can place anywhere in the signal path. So I put some second-order filters in there to tighten up the tone. Implementing second-order filters in a real tube amp is difficult and costly so is rarely seen.

I'm glad to see that people appreciate this as I feel that the next step is more virtual amps rather than copying existing designs.

Indeed - this is the best possible solution moving forward. FAS original amps inside the Axe-FX are the bomb.

The Best Of Both Worlds - "...A little Heaven right here on Earth."

Cliff,

All the efforts are much appreciated!

I think that the longer the Axe-FX II is out here being used, the more users will be able to compare & contrast "the old and the new" (and ultimately decide whether they want to choose conventional-tube or modern-virtual, or a combination of both.) Therefore it's excellent that the iconic/collectible tube amp-models are included as well as the new-world/virtual amps that you are discussing here!

For example, when I first started using the Axe-FX II, I automatically went right to the amps/manufacturers which I always either had or wanted (like Vox AC-30's and Marshall JCM800's, etc - which are great,) but more recently, I'm trusting my ears and find myself using amps I either never used or hadn't heard of: (Diezel Herbert Ch-2 and Trainwreck Express for rhythms and Carol Ann OD2 as well as your own (virtual) FAS Lead 2 for dirty-leads lately!)

Best of both worlds!!!

Bill

Back
Top Bottom