FAS Modern V9.2 - Mayones 7

toolfanem

Power User
Hey guys,

I was tweaking my rhythm patch and I think I found a new keeper. I love the FAS Modern in v9! Stays crunchy and still stays totally clear, all while keeping the low end punch. Cliff is the man!

Let me know what you think :)

EDIT: Instead of pictures of the patch I decided to made a video and, since I'm sick and stuck at home, I added some playing to go along with it. Enjoy! Ill add more info about the cab soon.

EDIT: Added this to use for tone matching. This song is on a 7 sting tuned to drop Ab.

Duh, and I got a new guitar! That probably helped a little too! Mayones Regius 7 - flame maple top, neck through body with swamp ash wings and ebony fretboard. The neck is several different types. Bareknuckle aftermaths.

Last edited:
Awesome as always man....this is seriously beyond words. Keep em coming! I always find myself coming back to your soundcloud page to listen through your different songs.

By the way, what do you use to program your drums?

Sounds awesome! How you find your Mayones? I'm thinking of getting one with the same specs but is it very bright?

Awesome as always man....this is seriously beyond words. Keep em coming! I always find myself coming back to your soundcloud page to listen through your different songs.

By the way, what do you use to program your drums?

Thanks man! Thats def a cool thing to hear :) I def spent the last few months in transition, which has kept me way to friggin busy. I moved, got a new guitar, a new computer, broke my iLok, got the MFC, and redid my main guitar, drum, and bass sounds.

The drums are a large combination of some publicly available sample libraries and some personal ones I've made and collected over the years. Breaking it down:

The hihats and cymbals are from Steven Slates Deluxe kit.
The kick is a blend of a toontrack metal machine ezx kick, a Steven Slate deluxe kick, and a sample I made.
The toms are a blend of metal machines toms and the toms from toontracks rock solid ezx (the rock solid toms are MASSIVE!)
And the snare is a blend of a DFH, metal machine, Steven Slate Chris Lorde Alge, and a custom sample that I made that gives it its "weight".

I throw all these samples into Steven Slates drum software and use that for everything. The actual preset is HUGE. EZXs usually use 250 to 350 mb worth of cpu, the slate patch I made is over 15k. So its definitely a CPU hog.

Cool! I guess the question I was trying to ask is what program you use to actually write out the drum tracks. Like do you click the mouse for every snare hit on a grid or something? Wouldn't that take a while? Never did it myself so just wondering...

Ah... haha yeah sometimes its a lot of clicking. Basically it depends on one thing, if I have my guitar in my hand while Im at the computer. I have a simmons multipad that I use to record drum ideas with, it just sends midi to the software sampler. I use that when I have a drum beat idea. If I am working with my guitar in hand it becomes more of a clicking thing. But not really clicking so much as copying and pasting. At the beginning of all my protools templates I have a midi note that is set to almost full velocity for each piece of the kit. From there I stop clicking the midi notes in and just copy and paste. I humanize the velocities later or as I am working on the track. And then for longer sections where the drums are doing mostly the same thing, like the snare in this track, I will just copy and paste several measures at a time to speed things up. I go in after and add all the cymbal embellishments and drum fills.

Love it!!!
you're you liking the Aftermaths?
I 've got Holydivers in my BRJ 7, I love BK 7 string pickups thye have so much character to them.

Love it!!!
you're you liking the Aftermaths?
I 've got Holydivers in my BRJ 7, I love BK 7 string pickups thye have so much character to them.

I love 'em! I put a set in my schecter c7 a while back and they saved that guitar :). When I ordered the mayones I got the same set because I liked them so much. Their output is super hot. They clean up great too.

In the mayones they are fantastic! I honestly have never been happier with my tone than I am now.

I am curious about your song writing process... Do you lay down a drum track first and then just jam over that with guitar until you find a riff you like and then you write it down? Also, do you have a CD available? I seriously like your music more than 90% of the stuff I listen to everyday. Your songs inspire me to play guitar more and experiment with mixing. :razz

Thanks! But it's not keys, it's guitar! I used a EH freeze pedal into an axe preset I modified :)

Even more impressive...Like the heavy low gain tone you achieved as well as your choice of drum kit. I will certainly check out your other stuff.

Thanks for posting.

Jean.

That sounds stellar, man. Great writing and guitar tones too. You're right about your tone here. Just enough gain to give it some weight and balls, but still very clear and articulate. This kind of stuff isn't usually my cup of tea, but I really dig this a lot. I'm old school when it comes to metal. (Maiden, Priest, old Metallica, old Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer, etc.) Find it hard to get excited about a lot of the newer metal stuff for whatever reason. But this certainly fits into that "new" catgory, and I'm really liking what you've got there. Great job!

Really nice tone, writing and.... well everything =)

Wonder what cabs you used?

Its actually a tone match I did to the intro of Gojira's song "Wolf Down the Earth." But when I made the original match I used a completely different amp so they basically sound nothing alike. When I was making this patch I actually didnt realize that I was using that cab, I thought I had selected one of the new OH cabs. When I went back to right down all of my setting (something I do for every patch I make, just in case I forget something) I realized which cab I used and was shocked that it worked as well as it did. I guess I shouldnt have been surprised, "The Way Of All Flesh" is one of my favorite top 3 metal productions of all time :)

I have to add, the guitars sound awesome but the bass is something else! Sounds tight, heavy, massive and glues it together perfectly. Excellent work!

This is absolutely killer, you've got a new follower on soundcloud! Great, great sounds :)

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words :)

Add: Yeah, the bass came out pretty sweet! Its running through the FAS modern amp as well, and I blended that with a clean signal that I just pass through the axe fx.

Sounds amazing, heard about these guitars before and been considering a 7 for sometime now. Will definately look into these. Thanks for posting!

Back
Top Bottom