FAS Link can power my wireless?

Jeggz

Inspired
I’m using a Shure GLXD16, is this possible ?

I have a Pedaltrain Spark under the board for that sole purpose.

I've updated my board with using the FasLink II port to power my wireless. There's 12V coming out of the FasLink port and I could probably run the Relay G10S just fine off that. And it was simple enough to add a power converter to get it down to 9V underneath.

View attachment 71537

It's been tapped before, not without careful planning and putting your unit at risk though.

It's been tapped before, not without careful planning and putting your unit at risk though.
What's the risk for the FM3 tho?
To the wireless - yeah, i get it. If the voltage is wrong, it might burn.
You need to make sure you convert that power to whatever your wireless supports.

What's the risk for the FM3 tho?
To the wireless - yeah, i get it. If the voltage is wrong, it might burn.
You need to make sure you convert that power to whatever your wireless supports.

I'm not an electrician, and I'm not sure if there's protection in the circuit, but I wouldn't want to short the phantom power coming from the FM3. I'm sure there's good reason why utilizing the power isn't common practice.

If you understand basic electricity, know your way around a multimeter and a soldering iron, can calculate voltages and current draw there's no real risk. On the other hand, if you don't know basic electricity and your way around a multimeter - I wouldn't attempt it.

By the way, I certainly didn't come up with the idea. I got the idea from @gdgross: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/lets-see-those-fm3-rigs.158779/post-1963055.

Last edited:
While I'm all for learning via doing, I would also assume this would void the warranty.
To me the ROI on it is not there. A battery pack or a power strip is a better call IMHO.

Love my Shure wireless btw - wish I had gigs to need it! : )

Like a short iec power cord for the fm3 and a double outlet cord connected to your board. I run my ax-8 board with a 3 way extension cord, easily bought at any hardware store.

If you understand basic electricity, know your way around a multimeter and a soldering iron, can calculate voltages and current draw there's no real risk.

Exactly. With some care and planning, it’s completely feasible, I just wouldn’t go as far to comfortably say that there’s no real risk.

Exactly. With some care and planning, it’s completely feasible, I just wouldn’t go as far to comfortably say that there’s no real risk.

Well, different people use different words and have different understanding/tolerance of risk. I wouldn't say there's no risk, anything you do has risk associated, but for something like this where if you stay well below the current draw of a FC12 (that the FM3 obviously can comfortably power) and have well insulated connections, I don't think there's any real risk of damage to the FM3.

One of my goals was to be able to fit it all on a Pedaltrain Metro 16. I was looking into IEC splitters and have a downwards IEC connector for the FM3 but it all turned out pretty bulky, with an adder power supply for the wireless so I don't think I could have fitted it all underneath the metro 16. Also contemplated creating my own custom IEC splitter and somehow mount a IEC connector either in the frame of the metro 16 or in a separate box underneath, but thought in the end that was riskier (for me) than using the FasLink connector.

It would be awesome if there's ever a FM3 mkII if it had 9v power out on the back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom